Reload this Page >

Anyone ever drive to Sierpe River/Drake Bay

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 12:04 PM
Terri

Hi, We are going to CR in November and so far have decided to spend 2-3 nights in Central Valley and then drive down to the Osa Peninsula/Corcovado area<BR><BR>I prefer to stay on the Drake Bay side of Corcovado, as we would also like to visit Cano Island, but am wondering how safe it will be to leave the rental car parked in the town by Sierpe River. Does anybody know?<BR><BR>Thanks in advance,<BR>Terri<BR>

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 09:38 AM
terri

Or.....does anyone know if I can take a bus from the San Jose area to Drake Bay....also, we'd want to stop along the way at different points on the way down....Talmanca Mountains, Dominical, etc.<BR><BR>Thanks for any advice

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 12:17 PM
Iza

Terri, unfortunately I don't have answers to your exact questions but just a suggestion. Last year we met a couple who drove from San Jose, through Dominical to Osa Penninsula and really liked the drive and the ability to stop and see various places on the way. They knew that they really did not need the car on Osa and were hesitant about keeping it there (and I guess also did not want to spend time driving back) so they arranged with their car rental company to have the car picked up on Osa and then they flew back to San Jose.<BR>Maybe that would be an option for you?

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 12:24 PM
terri

Iza,<BR>Thanks for the suggestion. I didn't realize you could have someone come pick up your car down south if you rented it at the airport.<BR><BR>Although I'm not fond of small planes, that really may be our only option...

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 05:49 AM
Leslie

My friend and I are going to the OsaPeninsula/Corcovado area in Jan. What we plan to do is fly from San Jose to Quepos and take a boat from Quepos to Drakes Bay and stay at Marenco Lodge/Corcovado Park. The boat trip takes about 2 1/2 hours. When we return to Quepos, we plan on renting a car and driving to Dominical area. We have to wait until Nov. 15th to see what the boat schedule will be. Don't know if that helps you or not. We were a little leary about leaving a rental car parked for 3-4 days. When you get back from CR post your trip - let me know how it went.

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 02:39 PM
ALF

We have driven twice to Sierpe from San Jose. Both times, we stored our car in the small lot across from the Oleaje Sereno Hotel, which is very close to the Sierpe River boat dock. The cost is quite reasonable, a few US$ per day, and it seemed quite safe, with a heavy chain circling the lot, a heavy padlock and chain across the entrance, and a deep ditch encircling most of the lot. I would definitely do this, as opposed to leaving my car on one of Sierpe's rude streets.<BR><BR>Allow extra time for the last part of the drive from Palmar to Sierpe, as the road degrades badly and you will dodge lots of potholes and ruts.<BR><BR>You can take a bus to Palmar Sur, then you probably need to take a taxi or tourista bus to Sierpe.<BR><BR>Another alternative is to fly directly to the airstrip on Drake Bay, but this is pricey.<BR><BR>Isla de Cano is really nice, particularly if you are a SCUBA diver. Have a great time!

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 07:52 AM
Terri

Leslie,<BR>Thanks for the info about the boat from Quepos to Marenco Ladge. After reading your post, looking on Marenco Lodge's website, I believe that is the way we're going to go. I believe we will fly into Palmar Sur, take the boat through Sierpe River to Marenco, stay 3 nights at Marenco, and then take the boat to Quepos where we will pick up the car to do the remainder of the trip.<BR>The boat to Quepos from Drake Bay looks to be quite an adventure as well. Also, I thought Marenco's prices were reasonable. Again, thanks for the tip!<BR><BR>Alf,<BR>Glad to hear you enjoyed Cano Island so much....am thinking of taking a one-day scuba instruction so that I can dive Cano instead of snorkel Cano!! What did you see while diving there? <BR><BR>Thanks to everyone for the wealth of information....our trip is really beginning to take shape now!<BR>

Old Oct 28th, 2003, 05:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Leslie,
Can you tell me more about your boat trip from Quepos to Drake. I'm interested in doing the same but I haven't found any information yet. Can you send me a link where I can get some more infomation about travel times, cost, frequency, etc... Thank you!