Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Alvear Palace or Four Seasons? 6 nights in BA or 4 nights + 2 nights in Iguazu Falls?

Search

Alvear Palace or Four Seasons? 6 nights in BA or 4 nights + 2 nights in Iguazu Falls?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27th, 2005, 05:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although I had planned to visit Argentina for a couple weeks in March, I instead wish to go on a short 6 night trip in early to mid December.

Because it is such a long flight from Los Angeles, I would considering just doing all six nights in Buenos Aires. My wife and I are just starting dance lessons, including Tango, so I do think we could find enough to keep us interested for 6 nights.

Then again, it seems like a long way to come and then miss out on Iguazu Falls, especially since I have been to Victoria Falls and would love to compare the two. However, I am not so sure that December will be the best time to see Iguazu Falls, especially since my wife and I were in Victoria Falls in March when it was absolutely thundering and we needed raincoats yet still got soaked. Would Iguazu Falls still be an amazing sight in December?

Back to Buenos Aires, I am torn between the Alvear Palace and the Four Seasons. Both of them look beautiful but the Alvear Palace seems to have a rich history. However, the Four Seasons is a better value and offers more options on the accomodations. For example, I may just want to splurge and spend about $450 per night on a Deluxe Premier Suite measuring 860 sq. ft and located on one of the higher floors.

I had also considerd the Abasto Plaza Hotel because they really seem to specialize in Tango, but it is just not upmarket enough. I don't want to come all the way to Argentina and settle for a 4* hotel that is not in the best part of the city, tango or not.

Any thoughts on the Alvear vs. the Four Seasons? Also, for such a short trip, is it worth it to sacrifice two nights in Buenos Aires at the wonderful hotels I am considering to fly up to Iguazu Falls for a 2 night stay at the Sheraton. It seems like it will be overly touristy there and may put a damper on my overall holiday after the wonderful experience I expect to have in Buenos Aires.

All feedback will be greatly appreciated!
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 06:43 PM

The Falls will look wonderful in December, the only thing to consider is weather: Iguazu will be very hot and humid in December, remember LA is hot but never humid, but other than that there is nothing to worry about. It is a beautiful sight, you don't want to miss it. Of course there is a lot of activity in BA, tango and more to keep you busy for many days. Day trips and cultural events are common place in Buenos Aires, so if you're planning on returning to Argentina soon and can see the Falls then, you could just stick to Buenos Aires.

I would go for the Alvear rather than the Four Seasons. I was told first hand that the rooms are broad enough, the hotel is wonderful and the service even better. Four Seasons are great everywhere too. There are few tango houses in Abasto, others in San Telmo.
Old Oct 28th, 2005, 12:48 AM

Two excellent choices. The two hotels are similar in terms of luxury, but different in terms of decor. I would suggest reading all the reviews on Tripadvisor.com and making up your own mind. I think you will be satisfied with either of these fine hotels.

The Abasto would have been a bad choice. Wise move to eliminate it from your list of options.

If you aren't going to return sometime soon, don't miss Iguazu...heat, humidity and all. It won't be as crowded in early-mid December as it will be during the Argentine summer, when the kids are out of school and
Argentinos are there on vacation.....
Old Oct 28th, 2005, 06:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback. I am still undecided between the Four Seasons and the Alvear Palace...maybe I will have to flip a coin to make this difficult choice!

I do think that I would like to avoid the hot & humid weather that December will bring to Iguazu Falls and save it for a return visit.

As far as getting there, I am leaning towards a Copa Airlines flight that will take me from Los Angeles to Panama City to Buenos Aires. Panama City seems like a good halfway point and will allow me to stretch my legs a bit before continuing onward.

Any opinions on Copa Airlines vs. American Airlines or Delta Airlines?

I did fly Copa Airlines to Costa Rica last year and it seemed fine.

Thanks.
Old Oct 28th, 2005, 07:32 AM

I fly American via Miami because they use 777 aircraft, which I find comfortable for the long flight. Delta uses 767's and the seating configuration isn't as spacious. I have not flown a long haul flight on Copa, so I can't comment...other than to observe that a layover in Panama City will be hot and humid, like Iguazu, if you leave the airport....