Reload this Page >

all-inclusive suggestions for family with an 18 and a 15 year old

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25th, 2007, 06:49 PM
Tess

I posted a similar question on the Caribbean board a couple of weeks ago but our plans have since changed and we've zeroed in on an all-inclusive in Mexico for a June vacation.

This is a vacation celebrating our son's high school graduation as well as 'one last family trip' before he leaves for college. Our one experience with an all-inclusive was Beaches Negril several years ago and we loved it. I know the quality of food can be hit and miss at AIs but I expect that, to an extent.

Anyhow...I've looked at resorts in Cabo, Cancun and Mayan Riviera and my head is spinning. Is there a better/worse location in terms of June weather? In Apple Vacation lingo, we're looking for at least a four to five apple trip and appreciate wonderful pools, nice rooms and an above average beach.

Can anyone steer us in a particular direction or away from a certain area or hotel? I'm haunting both this board and tripadvisor and am getting very confused.

Old Feb 26th, 2007, 03:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trip Advisor can be very confusing and make you crazy. Take postings there with a grain of salt as everyone has their own definition of what a perfect vacation is. If you're thinking of the Mayan Riviera in June it is low season which makes it a little less expensive and it is hot/humid. Actually, it's hot and humid there right now. I always go in June and like it because the water is very warm and the pools have warmed up since they are not heated through the winter. When my kids were teens we spent several years going to the RIU Tequila and the RIU Yucatan. The Iberostar Quetzal/Tucan is also a good choice. My kids were always able to be more independent as the resorts had eveything they needed and if we all wanted to go into town at night it was no problem. Have a great time and try not to stress too much
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 05:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Iberostar Paraiso complex is great. There are four Iberostars there. The Lindo and Maya are more upscale and you can eat ala carte every night. The Del Mar and the Beach are still great, but you only get three ala carte dinners a week (the rest is buffet). Lots of activities for your son.
For great informatin, go to:
http://www.iberostar-board.com/boards/index.php
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 07:23 AM
Tess

Thanks for your replies--wow the Iberostars look great! Last night my husband and I found RIU Palace in Cabo but then I read that the beaches aren't as nice there.

Checking out the Iberostars that you mentioned have me sold. Of course, now I'm confused as to which one...

Old Feb 26th, 2007, 05:48 PM

Iberostar Quetzal/Tucan are in Playacar which is close to Playa Del Carmen - 2 min by taxi and the Iberstar Paraiso complex is 20 min north of PDC. Depends upon how close to town you want to be. Playacar is also a small/gated community with sidewalks and a small shopping area across and north from the Iberostar.
Old Feb 27th, 2007, 03:34 AM

For great information on the Iberostars, go to:
http://www.iberostar-board.com/boards/index.php
Old Feb 27th, 2007, 03:36 AM

The Iberostar Paraiso complex offers more dining options and also has the teen disco and over 18 disco. They have the Commercial Center with shops and additional food places (all included). Since you are going in June, you might want to consider the Lindo since all of their restaurants (including their buffet) are airconditioned.
The IB Paraiso offers a free bus to Playa del Carmen throughout the day.
Old Feb 27th, 2007, 04:58 AM
Tess

As we were talking about the trip last night, I mentioned teen activities to my daughter(she's 15). On a cruise a few years ago, she loved the teen center and found several new friends over the course of the week. Do any of the resorts we're talking about have a teen program?

Old Feb 27th, 2007, 06:25 AM

My daughter and her husband and young son went to DREAMS in Cancun last July with a group of people with children of all ages and they loved it. I have been there also but when it was the Camino Real =. It is a great location and I can't imagine not liking it it is all inclusive too. Oh and great beach.
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 05:56 AM

Hi there,
My husband and our 4 children stayed at the Rui Palance in Cabo several years ago and I was extremely dissapointed. But it is all what you are looking for - I like more of a "Mexican" feel - it was more like Las Vegas meets Cruise ship in Cabo - tons of activities for the kids, a lot of horrible food - and if they have not changed the horrid policy - you had to make reservations on a daily basis (each morning) by going down to the lobby and being there by around 8:00 am to get in a long line to request the resturant you wanted. Now, that was about 2 years ago - so maybe it has changed.
The property itself is "pretty" - oh also - at the time - they only took cash for incedentals - it was really strange - you could not put a credit card on your room and then charge things like the spa to your room. We are very well traveled and have never ever come across something like this - having been to Cancun several times, Cabo several times, P.V, - all around Mexico - odd.
I do NOT recommend the hotel.
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 04:31 PM

I'm taking my HS grad to Playa to the IB Paraisio Maya in June as well. Her good friend stayed there a couple years ago and raved about it. Iberostar Tucan has drastic beach erosion. FYI.

We are also considering booking via Apple Vacaions ( IB Par Maya is on there...) My problem is that every time I go to the site I get a different flight time. One was very decent but it froze and nothing comes up now except 6 AM flights. GRRRR. So I'll keep trying!
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 05:01 PM

Im thinking of taking my high school grad( son) and sister there too, in June. I want the best possible beach view Any suggestions anyone?
Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 09:15 PM
Tess

I was the OP. We ended up spending a week at the Iberostar Quetzal/Tucan in Playacar in June 2007 and loved it. Gorgeous property, fabulous beach (Austin, no beach erosion at that time), great pools and pretty decent food for an AI.

The resort was within walking distance to Playa del Carmen--charming little town and lots of fun.

Refer to the poster who talked about the teen disco at the larger Iberostar complex--this is something that my 15 year old and 18 year old would have enjoyed. My 18 year old did go to the onsite disco one night but he was the youngest one there and didn't have a great time. Mostly we did things together as a family so it really wasn't an issue for us this trip.

The only bad thing was the extreme humidity. Combined with the heat, it was brutal for those of us who consider 30% humidity killer. Honestly, I'd go back there in a minute--just not in the summer. On the other hand, I talked to a woman from Georgia while we were there and the humidity didn't faze her family a bit. Guess it's what you're used to.

Old Apr 4th, 2008, 03:39 AM

The severre erosion at the IB Tucan/Quetzal has occurred since December 2007 and is till VERY bad.
As far as beach views at the IB Maya, there are none. There is a section of mangroves between the pool area dn the beach. Look into pricing for the IB Lindo. It shares all facilities with the Maya (except two of the Maya restaurants) and usually costs less. I like the lay out of the Lindo better also.
Here is a link to a map of the IB property:
http://www.iberostar-board.com/IB_Maya_Lindo.jpg

This map does not show the Commercial Center which has shops and more food places which are included. It is located across from the Lindo lobby area.