All Inclusive in Riviera Maya (or not) with older teens

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2009, 06:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, here's the deal - Divorced mom with three kids (2 boys -18 &15 and 1 girl - 14) looking for a completely relaxing vacation for the summer.

I like the idea of AI because I can feel my shoulders tense every time the kids wanted to order a soda at the pool bar. I really like the thought of just paying up front and not having to worry.

The kids want a nice beach and fun pool area. I have thought about other places, like Costa Rica, but it seed a lot more money for airfare. Although CR looks amazing, I don't even want the stress of getting them up to go checkout the wilderness if they don't want to do this. And I know I'd hate to travel all that way just to have them hang out at the pool.

I am leaning towards Riviera Maya as it isn't too far, it is very safe and they have lots of AIs to choose from. We stayed at Xpu-Ha Palace several years ago and we loved it there but they are saying their rooms are limited to three people(!!!) and their pool was shallow, fun for little ones but not teens. Palace Resorts has some other properties but I'm having a hard time getting a handle on their pools and what their beaches look like. The other one I"ve looked at is the Wyndham Azteca. The beach looks beautiful and the pool looks great. I have never stayed at a Wyndham so I'm not sure how they are. Does anyone know?

Are their others you would recommend. Older teens can be tricky as most of the Kid Clubs end at 14. If you know of one with something specific for older kids, that would be great!

I am open to other places if I can get a good deal, I just think Mexico is going to be the least expensive. I'm trying to keep the trip around $3000-3500, including airfare from LAX.

Thanks for your input!!!
Old May 29th, 2009, 07:27 PM

We stayed in Cancun and I would be concerned about having older teens there because of all the night clubs and no age limits.

I would prefer an all inclusive which would have entertainment and activities on site - that would be my first choice.
Old May 29th, 2009, 08:05 PM

I think you would all enjoy the Iberostar, my favorite is the Iberostar Maya then you can use the Iberostar Lindo and the Del Mar the resorts are all right there together. There is also a Iberostar Tucan that is right by Playa Del Carmen it is the least of my favorites of the Iberostars. They have a ton of activities for teens and you have to see the shows at night they are great!!!!! You won't be disappointed. I would be glad to answer any questions you have. We have stayed at the Iberostar Lindo, Maya and Del Mar .
Old May 29th, 2009, 10:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, aspengirl! I will look up the Iberostars tomorrow and if I have questions, I'll formulate them then!

I agree, nanabee. I want something where everyone stays in the compound at night. I'd like my 18 year old to sort of forget he's 18 for awhile and just be a kid again!
Old May 30th, 2009, 04:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree that you should check out the Iberostar Paraiso complex They also have the teen disco for your under 18 childre. However, I doubt they allow five people in one room if that is what you were planning. Most of the AIs have a four person limit.
Also check out the Barcelos in the Riviera Maya. They have a wonderful beach and great pools.
Old May 30th, 2009, 12:16 PM
Original Poster

Aspengirl & schmerl, I have been looking up Iberostar and am trying to narrow it down. Paraiso Maya and Tucan are my choices, I think. Aspengirl, you said Tucan was the least of your favorites, but do they have the best offerings for teens. I'd be happy with a lounge chair but if the kids are bored, I'm screwed. Do you think I should go with Tucan based on that, or do they all have teen clubs?
Old May 30th, 2009, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

Iberstar seems to be booked, but schmerl, just saw your other post on another thread about Barcelo. That looks promising. Do yous till recommend it?
Old May 30th, 2009, 12:48 PM

For Iberostar, the Lindo would give you the most bang for your buck. It shares most facilities with the Maya and usually costs less. The Yucan does not have the teen disco or as many different things going on as the IB Paraiso complex.
Yes, the Barcelo Colonial/Tropical is a great resort. If you can afford teh Barcelo Palace it's even more spectacular. Like the IB Paraiso coplex, there are five Barcelo resorts in their complex. It is HUGE.
Old May 30th, 2009, 12:54 PM
Original Poster

Nevermind! Just booked Barcelo. I don't think I want to hear anything else unless it is fabulous!
Old May 30th, 2009, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

Schmerl, we just booked Barcelo Maya Palace. I also booked one tour - the zip-lone/cenote swim thing. I had to book fast because I belong the one of those travel websites, but am in the process of freezing my membership for awhile. It freezes on Monday, I think, so at least I get a commission back.

We're all excited! This is probably the last trip with all my "babies" for a long time as they are really babies anymore and I probably won't be able to afford something like this again anytime soon.
Old May 30th, 2009, 05:05 PM

cat111719
For great information---eveything you'l ever need to know about the Barcelo---go to this site:

http://www.unofficial-barcelo-maya.com/site/

ENJOY!!
Old Jun 1st, 2009, 08:20 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, schmerl! That site looks great! i am going to makes some reservations for dinner. Which restaurants would you recommend?