Family AI Recommendation?

Old Aug 30th, 2005, 07:30 PM
Original Poster

Family AI Recommendation?

My parents are planning a 3 generation trip to someplace warm (Caribbean or Cancun area) next April. Kids range in age from 3 to 12; Adults from 37 to 70. We'd like a place that has lots of free watersports (sailing, kayaking, snorkeling, pools with water slides), other sports (tennis, table tennis, etc) as well as some organized activities for kids. We don't plan on putting the kids in a "camp" all day, but it would be nice to have something for them for a few hours. My parents definitely want an AI as they want to plan for cost up front.

Some will be flying from NYC; others from Philadelphia. We plan to stay 5 or 6 nights.

Any suggestions for specific resorts? Would you vote for Cancun over Caribbean?

Currently, my parents are leaning towards Beaches Negril (it seems to offer a lot, although rooms seem a bit small for the amount of money one pays). Thoughts on Beaches Negril?

Old Aug 30th, 2005, 08:04 PM

Playa del Carmen, Mexico (40 minutes south of Cancun)is easily accessible from NY/Philly. Awesome, family oriented A/I's that have just about everything you've listed. Beaches are stunning and you can take a taxi in to town to shop/eat out if you would like a night away from the resort. Also lots of day trips - snorkeling in Cozumel, Mayan ruins, etc. This vacation spot offers great value for your $$. Have fun with your vacation research!
Old Aug 30th, 2005, 09:27 PM

I have never been to Beaches Negril, but a good friend of mine just went last April and had a wonderful time. Her kids are 11 and 13 and they said it was a great trip. They liked the food and said there was lots to do.
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

MuyLinda -- could you recommend a few particular resorts in Playa del Carmen (say 4 star or above quality)? I'm not sure where to start...
Thanks!
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 07:21 PM

We've stayed at both the Riu Yucatan and the Iberostar Quetzal. I liked the Riu chain a tad better than the Iberostar but we had great vacations at both places. I think if we were looking to go again I would look at the Iberostar Lindo/Paraiso/Del Mar complex. These are all separate Iberostar resorts located in one complesx that is enormous and definitely geared towards families with a wave pool, tons of restaurants, etc. Friends of our went in February and loved it there.
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 11:53 AM

www.playadelcarmeninfo.com is the best place for info on the area and have a forum dedicated to AIs
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 05:24 PM

For what you are looking for, I can personally recommend the Barcelo Maya resort in the Mayan Riviera area south of Cancun. It has everything you are looking for. I would stay away from Cancun proper now as it is party central and kind of wild and very Americanized/commercialized, but the Mayan Riviera area is wonderful. It is more like old Mexico with wonderful new resorts. We had 3 family reunions at this resort (ages 7 - 70s) and everyone loved them. All inclusive is the easiest way to budget for a family reunion because you basically will know what your vacation will cost before you leave home. Here is a private non-profit website set up by a lady who went to this resort and loved it so much she set up her own website for it. It is not affiliated with the resort in any way. This resort has many repeat visitors and it isn't a timeshare or vacation club to account for the many repeat visitors.

http://www.unofficial-barcelo-maya.com/

Good luck with your quest. Hope you have a great family vacation no matter where you go.

Old Sep 1st, 2005, 05:26 PM

Forgot to say if the Barcelo Maya isn't to your liking there are many other wonderful resorts in the Mayan Riviera area.