Alaska - Glacier Bay

Old Dec 10th, 2007, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alaska - Glacier Bay

Is Glacier Bay wonderful? Where is the best place to stay and best way to explore?
Old Dec 10th, 2007, 10:24 AM
pat

aren`t you on the wrong forum?
Old Dec 10th, 2007, 11:42 AM
Original Poster

Yep I am. Sometimes, however, you get the most wonderful information this way.
Old Dec 10th, 2007, 12:33 PM

I often find myself lost so I can relate to the wrong forum oversight.

Q1 Yes
Q2 I don't know if it is the best, but I stayed at Glacier Bay Lodge. There are smaller, more intimate accommodations too. Don't know about pricing.

I spent 3 nights and had 4 full days.

If you can take the whale watching boat from Juneau to Glacier Bay, you can increase your whale sightings on the way over there.

You can hike from Glacier Bay Lodge, which I did, probably 2 hours one day and 4 another. I went alone but left word at the desk as to when to expect my return. It would be better to go in pairs or more. I didn't have any pair or more.

There is a daily boat trip that is quite spectacular, which goes from about 8:30-4:30 or something like that. Leaves right from the dock of Glacier Bay Lodge. It was impressive enough that I booked a second boat trip after returning from my first. Each day was very, very different. I saw black and grizzly bears and orca.

You can also kayak, renting the kayak at GB or from an operator. I rented from a kayak operator and went with a a guide. Our picnic lunch was cut short by a distant black bear.

In 2000 I did a nature cruise with a ship operated by the Glacier Bay people and was so enthused about the time we spent motoring around Glacier Bay and our 3-hour stop at the lodge, that for a 2002 trip, staying in Glacier Bay was high on my list. I don't think the Glacier Bay cruise boats operate anymore.

Good luck Cheweyhead.
Old Dec 10th, 2007, 09:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your input atravelynn. Wilderness Travel has a Hidden Glacier Bay trip I will now check into. Sleep on a boat. Have you been to Belize?
Old Dec 16th, 2007, 06:18 AM

I was in Belize for about a week over a decade ago. Chan Chich, which has been discussed on here, was a highlight. Also snorkeling at Ambergris Caye. You can also dive there. I don't dive.