Airport check in time in SJO

Old Mar 15th, 2005, 05:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airport check in time in SJO

I have a question regarding to check in time at the airport. We're thinking about flying Sansa and getting to the domestic terminal at 11:25am(the earlier flights are booked). Do we have enough time to get to international check in, go through customes and make it to our flight back to the States at 1:15pm?
Old Mar 15th, 2005, 05:50 AM

Probably not. There are 3 lines you have to go thru, the departure tax line, the check in line and the security line.
Old Mar 15th, 2005, 05:54 AM

I don't know if this happens often but last week rain in San Jose caused our flight from Drake Bay to San Jose to be delayed by 3 hours and rumour has it that other flights were even later.

I have also been told by several people that on a busy day you need over 2 hours to complete the check in procedures. Being the paranoid type, I was there at 5 a.m. for a 7:30 flight and was through the process in 45 minutes but ...
Old Mar 15th, 2005, 06:02 AM
Original Poster

Ok, guess I'll have to get private transfer... how long is the drive from MA to SJO? 3 hr?
I also read on this board that we can buy the departure tax when we arrive at SJO at the beginning of the trip? Is that true?
Old Mar 15th, 2005, 08:03 AM

Yes, you can pay your departure tax on arrival at SJO or, if you fly Nature Air, at the other airpot.
Old Mar 15th, 2005, 12:00 PM

I would agree that you would be cutting it too close. We just flew back a couple of weeks ago and it took all of 2 hrs to get through the check in. The exit stamp line took maybe 15mins.They have two lines, one to the right and one to the left and they move pretty quickly. We always have the exact amount in cash ready. The final security line only took about 1/2hr even though it was backed up almost to the exit door.

We were flying on a Delta widebody and every piece of luggage that was being checked in was hand searched before you get to the counter. They take almost everything out of the luggage. You waited in line whether you are checking anything in or not but once they determine at the tables that you are not checking anything in they let you go ahead to the counter.
Old Mar 15th, 2005, 01:31 PM

You won't have enough time. Remember you are supposed to check in for international flights 2 hours ahead of time. I had a 7:30AM flight and arrived at 5:30 Am. The exit tax line took 15 min but the airline check-in took over an hour. They were doing random hand searches of luggage. It seemed like at least evey third person. Security didn't take long, probably 15 min. But, there weren't very many planes leaving at the time mine was. You are leaving at a popular time and it will take much longer. You will need more time.
Old Mar 15th, 2005, 06:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! Looks like my only way is to pay for the private transfer. It's almost double the amount of domestic air!
Sammyc