Reload this Page >

Advice-Drive from San Diego to Cabo

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16th, 2002, 05:56 AM
Mike

We are considering driving from San Diego to Cabo next spring. Any advice on where to stay (city and hotel) on the way? Can we make the drive in 2 days? Appreciate your comments.

Old Nov 17th, 2002, 06:19 AM
edfran

Believe or not my 80 yr old father-in-law just did it. (lives in Cabo Real area of Los Cabos). First night in Loretto, second night into Cabo in the evening. Caveats: Gas up when you can, don't drive at night. There is a "roadblock" just below Tijuana to spray your tires for pest control.

Old Nov 17th, 2002, 06:02 PM
Mike

Thanks. Should hotel reservations for Loreto be made before we leave the US? Car insurance?

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 01:14 PM
uhoh

Be very, very careful. Check out the car insurance carefully. I think you need mexican insurance as Ive read horror stories about car accidents on Mexican highways.

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 01:32 PM
Sidney

Why would you want to do this? And if you get held up, car jacked, involved in a motor vehicle accident---who are you going to call for help?? You are not in the USA protected by the American legal system and law enforcement.<BR><BR>I strongly suggest that you think about this.

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 07:06 PM
Mike

There may be four or five of us going to Cabo during spring break. Just thought driving there would economize our trip plus we'll have a car to get around after we get there.

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 04:31 AM
MIchael

Don´t know what the nattering nelly is so worried about. Baja is not beset with highway robbers and drug traffickers a la Sinaloa (and Sinaloa is safe for driving during the day). The only worry is that it´s a sparsely inhabited desert and if you break down it may be 12 hours or more until the Mexican road service happens to come by (they patrol each road once or twice a day). Buy lots of water in Ensenada - for that matter, buy lots of booze, etc. there as i~´s going to get mnore expensive as you leave civilization (fish tacos are the only cheap thing in deep Baja). If you like desert scenery, you´ll love it, although you~d probably be better off flying if you´ve only got two days to do it, as you´re going to rush past many things worth seeing and you´re not even going to save much money.

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 03:47 PM
Mike

Thanks for the good advice! We'll see if we can find good airfares to Cabos for the spring break.