Reload this Page >

First time to Cabo and driving from LA

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2002, 11:08 AM
Lily

Hi, <BR>This board is great! <BR>I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the drive down to Cabo from CA? I'm going with 3 other girls, and we were going to visit different parts of the pennisula. What areas should we definitely not miss? Is it safe to book hotels as we go (depending on where we explore that day)? <BR>Also, we're on a tight budget, does anyone know of nice hotels and restaurants that are not too expensive? <BR>Thanks!!

Old May 9th, 2002, 04:29 PM
Bee

I would strongly recommend checking into what kind of auto insurance you need in Mexico. Your American insurance will not float down there. Also other posters may be able to help you with info on what to look out for or what to do in case of an accident.

Old May 9th, 2002, 08:40 PM
Anony

You get into an accident then you go to jail. You go to Jail and the passengers go to jail. You better check insurance coverage however it doesn't keep you out of jail. Also read the cars can get looted. Check out accident report on Frommers.

Old May 13th, 2002, 12:52 PM
x

drove from san diego to la paz. loved the drive. do not ever drive at night. sometimes the road disappears (drops) and you need to go off into the desert. or, you may come upon a cow laying on the road. we had originally planned on staying in nogales on the way back. but, entering the town we had a very uneasy feeling about it. ended up driving on and staying at a hotel in the middle of nowhere between nogales and encenada (las palmas hotel i think - it was very expensive). once you hit the sea of cortez side, it is very beautiful and i'd recommend a stop at almost any of the towns. for good beaches in la paz, you need to drive south. make sure your car is well equiped with anything you may need...water, oil, etc. it can be quite a distance between service stations. loved it...have fun.

Old May 13th, 2002, 05:23 PM
Diane

Lily, as I told a poster just a bit further down the board, please check this website first and read through it thoroughly:<BR>http:/travel.state.gov/tips_mexico.html<BR>You'll find lots of great information and a lot on auto travel/safety/insurance, etc.