6 to 7 days in oaxaca--too much?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8th, 2022, 05:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going on a spring break trip with my 15 year old son. We were originally going to southern spain, but the frequent flier mile gods are not smiling upon me, so i am looking for alternatives. The gods apparently like Oaxaca

I really like photography and love churches, markets, craft villafes etc... would Oaxaca entertain us for 6-7 days or so, or should we see something else in Mx? I do not want my kid bored, although he will pretty much like anything. Would it be better to spend 3 to 4 days in oaxaca and 2 to 3 in Merida or Cancun instead? Guanajuato? I am a bit hesitant to do cancun because i am not going to spend a week off to be on a beach doing nothing. But perhaps i am underestimating Cancun. What about Merida? Or will oaxaca (or perhaps some nearby state) have enough to occupy our time? Thx.

Last edited by samshames7731; Feb 8th, 2022 at 05:20 PM.
Old Feb 8th, 2022, 08:15 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
6-7 days in Oaxaca would be just about right given your interests in churches, markets, craft villages etc. And the archeological sites of Monte Alban & Mitla are nearby. If you wanted a bit of variety, you could fly into MEX (México City) and take a bus direct from the airport to Puebla for a night and then move on to Oaxaca.
Regarding Guanajuato, (the city?) 6-7 days there might be a bit much, given your interests, although it's a lovely city. In that area you'd probably want to split time between Guanajuato, San Miguel & Queretaro. Not much in the way of craft villages like in Oaxaca, however. Altough in Dolores Hidalgo & Santa Rosa there's some good pottery shopping, especially in the latter. San Miguel has an artisans market where some of the local Nahua artisans sell hand painted figures and the like. Lots of churches, but the markets are only so-so to below average compared to Oaxaca.
Don't know Merida. Yet. But probably with only a week you'd be better off chilling in just one area. IMO.
Old Feb 9th, 2022, 06:25 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Given you expressed interests I would think Oaxaca would be fine for six or seven days. I would imagine your son would enjoy the visits to Monte Alban and Mitla. The craft villages are so varied, with pottery, weaving, metal work and alebrijes (the painted creatures, mythological and real), that something has to grab his interest. Alas he's too young for mescal. There are also hikes in the vicinity, other smaller ancient sites and of course the city itself with its lively zocalo and uptown areas.

I would pair it, as Baldone suggested, with Mexico City -- bustling metropolis vs colonial city. You can fly or take a bus, I would suggest the latter at least one way because the scenery is so beautiful, though it is a long ride. It can be broken, as per above, in Puebla. You can fly back.

Oaxaca state itself has a popular coast a short flight from Oaxaca City. I have never visited it. It's a lot closer than Cancun or Merida.
Old Feb 9th, 2022, 06:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. Guanajuato was a proposed side trip for a few days as opposed to 6 days there.

Old Feb 9th, 2022, 09:06 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
By the way, some of the beaches in Oaxaca I mentioned above such as Huatulco and Puerto Escondido are famous for surfing, though it can be challenging (big waves). Just thought I'd bring it to your attention in case your son is a surfer.
Old Feb 9th, 2022, 06:06 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Guanajuato as a side trip of a few days from Oaxaca doesn't make a lot of sense. Not with only 6-7 days total. If you had 10 days, then yes.
Old Feb 13th, 2022, 01:39 PM

I preffered Puebla, but there should be enough in and around Oaxaca, maybe you could also visit the petrified falls (Hierve el Agua) as well as Monte Alban. Or take a trip up to the Sierra Juarez mountains. With a lunch stop at Restaurante Colibri. Check to make sure they are open.

Last edited by mlgb; Feb 13th, 2022 at 01:44 PM.
Old Feb 13th, 2022, 11:40 PM

We spent a pre pandemic week in Oaxaca and loved it. it certainly wasn’t too much time. As others have mentioned there is a lot to see in the city and around the surrounding areas. Some photos and details of our time there can be found on our blog @ https://accidentalnomads.com/2019/03/06/oaxaca/.

Alternatives for splitting your week - we also spent around 3-4 days apiece in Zacatecas and Guanjuato. Very different places, but we loved both (cold at night though!)
Old Feb 14th, 2022, 10:35 AM

I need to go back and read the Mexico section of crellston's blog. I stayed at the Oaxaca hotel he suggested.

It might be a bit more than the OP is spending per night, but not a bad choice for human contact. One of the employees was nice enough to walk me to the big Abastos Market nearby after his shift.
Old Feb 17th, 2022, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by samshames7731
I am going on a spring break trip with my 15 year old son. We were originally going to southern spain, but the frequent flier mile gods are not smiling upon me, so i am looking for alternatives. The gods apparently like Oaxaca

I really like photography and love churches, markets, craft villafes etc... would Oaxaca entertain us for 6-7 days or so, or should we see something else in Mx? I do not want my kid bored, although he will pretty much like anything. Would it be better to spend 3 to 4 days in oaxaca and 2 to 3 in Merida or Cancun instead? Guanajuato? I am a bit hesitant to do cancun because i am not going to spend a week off to be on a beach doing nothing. But perhaps i am underestimating Cancun. What about Merida? Or will oaxaca (or perhaps some nearby state) have enough to occupy our time? Thx.
6-7 days in Oaxaca it's a good amount of time there, and you will want to go back . I don't know much about your kid situation so the only thing I think is that he might get bored cuz in my experience Oaxaca in general is more an adult experience (i.e. couples) but like I said I don't know much about your kid.

Cancun you could do the whole 6-7 days there and you'd still miss the top things to do ... there's just many attractions there.

So I'd personally recommend you to do 3-4 days in Oaxaca and 3-4 days in Cancún depending on your personal preferences. I think there's no wrong answer here, so you can do whatever combination and you'll be golden.

Happy Vacay!