When is too much TOO much?

Dec 23rd, 2018, 04:08 AM
Original Poster

When is too much TOO much?

For the first time, travel in 2019 will be a chore for us, even perhaps a bore. Even a nope.

We have been in business and media since the 1970s, and he was in military before that involving interesting locations.

Our kids work in FIFO (fly-in-fly-out) professions, we meet up where we can.

We are SO over airports,,air,travel,,anything that involves passing through fake security that targets older nice people like my husband and me, non- ethnic, so that others can feel more comf9rtable.

Travel used to be interesting, but now we find other ways than airports and crap societies,with no real cultures of their own.

Ask more, if you are game.
Dec 23rd, 2018, 08:29 AM

This could be an interesting topic save for the ďnon-ethnicĒ garbage and criticizing other cultures.
Dec 23rd, 2018, 08:54 AM

Maree didnít know when too much was too much.
Dec 23rd, 2018, 09:54 AM

Take a train or drive. I thought security was a breeze travelling this month. Orlando, Toronto, Paris and back via Montreal. No hassles. Just have stuff out of your pockets, liquids in a bag and take out electronics. I didn't even have pre-check except for MCO.

Last edited by Macross; Dec 23rd, 2018 at 09:54 AM. Reason: .
Dec 23rd, 2018, 09:06 PM

Enjoy your victimhood!
Dec 24th, 2018, 07:08 AM

I have no idea what prompted this post. However I do think you have so much to be grateful for, one being the means to see so much of the world. Many people would love to be able to do what you have done but cant afford it.

Here's hoping 2019 will lift you from your doldrums.
Dec 24th, 2018, 11:21 AM
P_M

This is what is called a first world problem. Be thankful.
Dec 24th, 2018, 03:44 PM

Wow, just wow.
Dec 25th, 2018, 03:46 PM
P_M

Ever heard of a humblebrag? It goes something like this:

I am so tired of paying through the nose for oil changes on my Ferrari.

It's really annoying how everyone mistakes me for being a supermodel.

I'm so bored with world travel.
Dec 25th, 2018, 11:05 PM

P_M:
Dec 26th, 2018, 05:31 AM

Probably a good idea for you to stay home. Both for you, and for those crap societies with no culture.
Dec 31st, 2018, 06:47 AM

Something specific happen? Or maybe just tired of traveling--seen and done so much that it doesn't seem new and exciting to you any more? It does happen to some people. Air travel was once new to them, but is now routine. First trip to another country with a different language, food, and customs is a feast for the senses. After decades of experiences, it may be difficult to match that sort of high. Some people as they age experience a physical/mental resource decline and find the effort of travel wears on them more than it did at a younger age and may blame the process and the destination.

I consciously avoid complaining about my travel hassles unless something egregious (cancellation without notification, for example) because I know I am privileged to be able to travel so much (healthy enough, financially secure enough, brave enough, have a passport from a country that is readily accepted) and I choose to travel rather than to spend my time and money in other ways.

Sure, I dislike the airport security hassles, the cramped seats in economy, and other negative aspects of air travel, but with experience and resources, one has ways to reduce these to acceptable levels to reach one's destinations. Same for what can be challenging travel destinations--there are ways to make them less inhospitable if one has the resources.

I'll be heading into that security line in 10 days to start the long series of flights to Australia. Just starting the plans for Arizona in April and Iceland in May.

Happy travels in 2019 whether by plane, train, automobile, or foot everyone!
And thanks for all the helpful advice over the years.
Dec 31st, 2018, 07:09 AM

I'm going to assume you meant "not fitting a profile" when you wrote 'non-ethnic'. DH and I thought flying was less fun after 9/11 and started saying "Thank you, Ben Laden" when we had to get to the airport so many hours early, go through security, watch out liquids, etc. We weren't thrilled by the airlines' seeming escalating greed either.

Are you enrolled in the Trusted Traveler program? https://ttp.cbp.dhs.gov/ TSA pre-check is included. It simplifies things a bit. Also, I agree with macross; sounds like it's time for you to take a train or drive. Mix it up a bit. Are you located where a cruise is convenient?

Good luck with this.
Jan 2nd, 2019, 03:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, all. I don’t fit a profile here, apparently.

Having spent our working lives traversing crap airports and crap cities in order to bring you fresh news, we are justifiably over transport hubs, so it’s nice to sail out of port on our boat and head for wherever. In the Pacific, the customs staff are wonderful.

Happy 2019 and safe travel.
Jan 2nd, 2019, 11:16 AM

You lost me at "non-ethnic".
Jan 2nd, 2019, 02:11 PM

I don't think you endured "crap airports and crap cities" just for the sake of bringing fresh news to us as if it was all for altruism.

Best of luck (as I shake my head astonished at what you have said.)

So long.
Jan 6th, 2019, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by mareeS55 View Post
Thanks, all. I donít fit a profile here, apparently.

Having spent our working lives traversing crap airports and crap cities in order to bring you fresh news, we are justifiably over transport hubs, so itís nice to sail out of port on our boat and head for wherever. In the Pacific, the customs staff are wonderful.

Happy 2019 and safe travel.
I can't even imagine what news agency you must have worked for in order to bring us all this fresh news.
Jan 9th, 2019, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

I (ad a lot of fun finding the bad parts. Everyw(ere.
Jan 9th, 2019, 09:47 AM

Yeah, I totally feel ya. it is just so tiresome when security is applied to non-ethnic people. Non-ethnic people never commit any crimes.
Jan 9th, 2019, 09:55 AM

I don’t fit a profile here, apparently.

hmmm... Just like at all those airport.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO