Search

6 full days in Cusco....

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16th, 2007, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6 full days in Cusco....

My girlfriend and I will be in traveling to Cusco at the end of May and planning on doing a hike to MP...we chose to do a 2-day hike instead of the 4 mostly because of Time contraints but we are city folks and not big hikers (her first time actually).

We are in our mid 30s and live in NYC and do a lot of walking and she works out regularly.

Will we have time to see Sacred Valley and the other Ruins close to Cusco if we change to a 4-day? I keep hearing that the 4-day is the way to go... I think I would be fine but she may have some problems roughing it without creature comforts. Any suggestions?
Old Feb 16th, 2007, 08:13 AM

If you decide to do the 4-day trek book it immediately. The end of May is high season and may already be booked.

Personally I'd spend several days in the Sacred Valley in Ollantaytambo. I'd hike the ruins of Pisac and Ollantaytambo and then do the 2-day trek. There is not enough to do in Cusco to keep you busy for 6 days and the Sacred Valley is much nicer.
Old Feb 16th, 2007, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

RBCal,

Thanks for the reply...the 2 day hike would only leave us 4 days for the rest... Sacred Valley, Cusco and surrounding ruins. MY initial thought was that a 4 day hike would eat up too much time and only leave 2 days for the rest....what do you think?
Old Feb 16th, 2007, 12:14 PM

If I only had six days I would do the 2 day hike and explore the Sacred Valley and Cusco the rest of the time. The Pisac ruins and Ollantaytambo are pretty impressive. I was not impressed by Sacsayhuaman just outside Cusco.
Old Feb 17th, 2007, 12:35 PM

Is it feasable to take a bus from Cusco to Pisaq, visit Pisaq and the market, then take a bus stop at Yucay, visit a little, take the bus again up to Ollantaytambo, visit the ruins, hike a little bit and then, take a bus back to Cusco.. all this in the same day?
Old Feb 20th, 2007, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

well we've booked the 2D/1N Hike and would like to spend a night in the Sacred Valley, Urabuamba...

our 6 day itinerary would bread down like this..any comments helpful

Day 1 Cusco
Day 2 (Sunday) Pisac, Sacred Valley
Day 3 Ollantaytambo, Sacred Valley
Day 4 Cusco and Surrounding Ruins
Day 5 Hike to Monchu Picchu, A. Calientes
Day 6 Monchu Picchu.

We will be hopping around quite a bit it seems... Will our Hotel in Cusco, hold luggage between nights stayed in SV and AC?...
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 11:49 AM

They probably will. Why are you going from Cusco to SV, then back to Cusco then on to Machu Picchu? Ollantaytambo is not far from and Machu Picchu. Are you going on a guided hike along the Inca Trail? You will probably start at a point very close to Ollantaytambo.
Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 05:02 AM

We did not hike the Inca Trail to Machupicchu, but a friend (age 34 and very active) who did, spent two or three days acclimating to the altitude. I cannot imagine New Yorkers hiking without either medication or getting acclimated to the altitude.
Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

gigib,

well this itinerary is definately not set in stone except for Day 5 & 6. The reason for the trip back from Ollantaytambo is the hiking tour company is in Cusco. They say they will pick up in hotel but did not speak with them to arrange departure from Ollan...is this a better idea. Open to suggestions
Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 12:59 PM

The 2 day trek starts at kilometer 107. You hop off the train about halfway in between Ollantaytambo and Aguas Calientes. It is definitely easier to catch the train in Ollantaytambo. This is where we did for the two day trek. Hotel Pakaritampu is the best hotel to stay in Ollantaytambo. It is only about half a block from the train station.
Also, most people in Manhattan walk a lot more than other people so as long as you get acclimated to the altitude you will probably be okay. I found the hike to be pretty strenuous. You hike from 8000 ft to 11000 ft in a few hours.
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 07:38 AM
Original Poster

Changed our itinerary a bit...

Day 1 Cusco
Day 2 (Sunday) Pisac, & Cusco Surrounding Ruins
Day 3 Sacred Valley - 1 Night Urubamba
Day 4 Sacred Valley - 1 Night Ollantaytambo
Day 5 Short Hike to Monchu Picchu, A. Calientes
Day 6 Monchu Picchu -Return 1 Night Cusco

Comments welcome...
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 11:41 AM

It sounds like you are just doing the day hike up to Machu Picchu, about 6 miles, and not spending a night on the Inca Trail? If so, you won't need to worry about acclimatizing to the altitude, Cusco will be your highest place. But, the Trail is steep and mainly stone steps. If you will be hiking up to MP and arriving through the Sun Gate, the view of MP is incredible.
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 01:17 PM

No you still need to acclimatize. The 2-day hike climbs from 8000 to 11000 feet. If you are coming from sea level this is still quite a shock to your system.
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 11:10 AM

Yes, but the hike comes at the end of their trip, after a couple of days in Cusco. Last summer we spent 2 nights in Cusco, 1 night in the Sacred Valley then hit the Inca Trail for a 3 day, 2 night trek. We camped the first night near the Urubamba river, the second night at 12,000 feet, arrived at MP on the 3rd day thru the Sun Gate and no one in our group had any altitude problems other than huffing and puffing up the passes.
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

thanks for all the replies...these forums are great!

Well we contacted the tour company for the two day MP hike and they can meet us in ollantaytambo.

Should we just book two nights in Urubamba and leave early for Ollantaytambo...I've read it's about half an hour away and there seems to be more accomodations and activities opportunities in Urubamba. I'm just worried about being 1/2 away from the train.
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 05:30 PM

I've stayed at Hotel Sol y Luna (1 mile from the town of Urubamba), and it took us maybe 20 minutes to get to the train. It's not a big deal, and I think you will enjoy it more than Ollantaytambo.
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 05:39 PM

p.s. I'm fit, young, live in a walking city, and never get altitude sickness in Colorado, but I took diamox both times I went to Cusco/MP. The first time, I forgot to take it one night (in the Sacred Valley). I wanted to shoot myself in the head. It would have hurt less. I have never felt such pain in my life. My friend forgot the next day and spent the day in the room, sick as a dog. As such, my feeling is why risk ruining your trip...take the meds.