3 college kids with only 9 days in Peru

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8th, 2011, 10:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey everyone...we are flying into Lima in March, and are up for any suggestions about what we should do and where we should go while there. Ideally we would like to do a 2 or 3 day hike to Machu Pichu, but we are really open to any advice!
Old Dec 9th, 2011, 02:48 AM

www.inkalandadventures.com Flavio best for me from $300

www.lokihostels.com usually a bit more...

www.lonelyplanet.com Peru guide or FootPrints guide

follow the "Gringo Trail" route by bus to adjust to

altitude best and see more... mysteryperu.com

Ballestas penguins wildlife

Nasca for the lines I flew with Brabant Hostal tours $55

Arequipa/Colca colca-lodge.com see the condors

Titicacaperu.com then Cusco trek to MP

fly home... perubestours.com Mike peruforless.com Hortense

good folks to help you if needed.

Happy Travels!
Old Dec 9th, 2011, 05:10 AM

Huh, that's funny, the other guy also recommends Incaland Adventures, and Flavio. I was going to do the same thing. He's excellent, and cheap.

9 days is pretty short to see a whole lot in Peru. To see Machu Picchu, you could hike the Inca Trail, as does everybody else. It's a great hike, scenic, but very packaged now. You'll have to make your reservations long in advance as the trail has a quota system. Contact Flavio ASAP www.incalandadventures.com

There are other routes to MaPi that are equally rewarding without the restrictions, such as via Salcantay or Choquequirao (a bit of a longer hike). Around Cusco, another excellent trek is the Ausangate trek. It goes around a huge mountain at high altitude and takes 5 days normally.

Another option for you, from Cusco, would be to spend a few days in the jungle of Manu National Park, part of the Amazon basin. There are several lodges there. Flavio can help you set that up as well.

Have fun!
Old Dec 9th, 2011, 05:31 AM

with 9 days, you can do Machu Picchu, Cusco & Lima. To fit anything more is rushing it. If you'd rather see more sites or cities, there are options to do a 1 day hike to Machu Picchu instead. The amazon jungle lodges are nice, but you might get sick of flying at this point.
Old Dec 9th, 2011, 08:19 AM

As agent226 suggested, 9 days is just enough to nicely discover and enjoy Machu Picchu, Cusco, and Lima without feeling rushed. We suggest dividing your trip per the following:

2-day Inca Trail hike (which is 1 day hiking and the second day exploring the ruins)
2 days Sacred Valley
2 days Cusco
2 days Lima

The "extra" 9th day will give you flexibility for the logistics of getting around. Spending time in Lima is better done at the end of your trip upon return from Cusco in case anything happens with your flight back home.

In Cusco, visit the nearby ruins such as Ollantaytambo, Chinchero, and Pisac to first whet your appetite before going to Machu Picchu. With these experiences to compare to, you will better appreciate the wonder of the Inca citadel.

Have a great trip!
Peru For Less
Old Dec 15th, 2011, 12:51 PM

with 9days I recommend the following:
day 1 - city tour - www.trekperu.com or www.waykitrek.net
day 2 - 4hr trek off the beaten path with a san pedro ceremony or without. see www.cuscowahca.com
day 3 - sacred valley tour with www.trekperu.com or www.waykitrek.net or private tour [email protected]
day 4,5,6,7 - Inca Trail with www.trekperu.com or www.waykitrek.net
day 8 - fly to lima and do city tour
day 9 - fly home if not then do a day trip to paracas
Old Dec 19th, 2011, 06:55 AM

I loved doing white water rafting outside Cusco; it was a fantastic adventure, and so affordable. I think it was $45 for the whole day with transportation and lunch.