3 weeks Costa Rica reality check

Old Dec 6th, 2011, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3 weeks Costa Rica reality check

After an initial pass through of various trip reports and guidebooks, we're seeking advice on putting together a 3 week trip to Costa Rica in February. Many of the reports are for 7-10 day trips and we are interested in where it would be best to spend the extra time.

We are an active couple in our late 50's interested in hiking and wildlife. This seems like the place to begin birdwatching. We don't have a huge interest in zip-lining or white water rafting, but would include it if the fancy strikes us while there. We have traveled extensively in New Zealand, Australia and Argentina but this will be a first trip to Costa Rica.

We prefer spending at least 3 days in any one place, with 5 days being better. We prefer seeing fewer places with more time than moving rapidly through a country touching all the hilights.

We are hoping to use public transport, drivers and local guides rather than renting a car. This will be quite a change for us and any tips you can offer willl be appreciated.

We have very limited Spanish, but will have just spent 10 days in Mexico brushing up.

We will most likely fly in and out of San Jose, but Liberia is an option if it works into an itinerary better. We want to spend time in the Central Highlands, Arenal, Rincon de la Vieja and some beach time on the coast.

Which part of the Pacific coast is preferable given the rest of the proposed trip?
Should we be looking at going south of San Jose? We are open to internal flights, but remember that we prefer limiting travel days.

Are we totally off the mark and missing something major?
Old Dec 6th, 2011, 10:42 AM

Yes, you're missing the Osa Peninsula which is amazing - best wildlife that we've ever seen. Bosque del Cabo has a nice video on their website so you can see what the area looks like. It's an excellent place for birdwatching. We saw scarlet macaws and toucans there. Tortuguero is pretty neat as well, lots of wildlife and a canal-based environment. We loved Tortuga Lodge. Monteverde is great for birding too and offers a cooler cloud forest environment. Use Sansa or Nature Air for in-country flights to the Osa.
Old Dec 6th, 2011, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, Volcanogirl. I figured you would point us to the Osa Peninsula. I am busy rereading the guide book now so that things begin to take shape in my mind.

Any suggestions as to how much time to spend in each area?
Old Dec 6th, 2011, 01:36 PM

PJ, your agenda, interests and time frame are very similar to ours. Our trips to CR 93, so far), included a night or two in or near San Jose, where we left our luggage in between legs, and about 3 destinations. Last time we spent 8 days at BdC. It really is all volcanogirl describes, a very special place.

For variation and fantastic birdwatching in a relatively non-touristy environment,, we liked Savagre Lodge in Cuerte del Muerte. Hoping it hasn't changed, as it looks as though it's gotten a bit fancier than the small, homey spot that it was. Fantastic guides!
Old Dec 6th, 2011, 01:40 PM

Hi PJ, I agree that the Osa and Tortuguero are wonderful, but you might consider La Selva or Selva Verde if you are interested in birding. You won't see as many birds in the Rincon de la Vieja area, but it is still a nice area to visit. There are three places to stay up there, Borinquen is much more relaxed. If you need help putting things together, please let me know as I can offer private transport between point A and Point B if that is the route you decide to go. The English speaking drivers offer a wealth of information around the country and you would travel at your own pace stopping for bathroom breaks and photos when you see something interesting. I certainly wouldn't spend less than 3 days in most the of areas, but you could probably do only 2 nights in Tortuguero and be all right. The best way to get from Monteverde-Arenal is via lake not on the bumpy road
Old Dec 6th, 2011, 01:41 PM
RAC

The Sarapiqui area may have the best birding in the country as well as great overall wildlife sighting and ecoutours, has plenty of reasonably priced ecolodges.

The best areas we experienced for birding/wildlife were:

1) Osa Peninsula (Sirena station, Corcovado National Park)
2) Sarapiqui area
3) Arenal Observatory Lodge (with trip to Cano Negro)
4) Tarcoles area (Tarcoles river tour, Carara national park)

Monteverde was very good for birds but not so much other forms of wildlife, and while Manuel Antonio was great for mammals but lousy for birds.

Also, Curu reserve in the Nicoya peninsula is worth seeing if you're in the area.
Old Dec 6th, 2011, 03:04 PM

If you end up doing both Arenal and Monteverde, the Jeep Boat Jeep with Desafio is a good way to go - pretty affordable and saves you time on that bumpy road.
Old Dec 6th, 2011, 03:18 PM

Sarapiqui is fantastic!!! I do love the cloudforest also, as its a wonderful contrast. Tortuguero too. You simply can't go wrong.Look up all of the recommended areas, and see which appeals.

Regarding transportation, Interbus or the like is easy and cheap. Some folks prefer private transport. We prefer taking the short flight to the Osa though, over the long, hot drive.
Old Dec 6th, 2011, 03:22 PM

PJ, yes, since you said hiking and wildlife, the Osa is numero uno in my book. We also love the Cano Negro tour out of the Arenal area, but we've only done it during rainy season. I'm not sure how it would be in the dry season. Maybe someone else can chime in on that. It's a great place to see water birds, and we've seen monkeys, sloths, and caimans there as well.
Old Dec 6th, 2011, 06:22 PM

Cano Negro and Arenal are crap in the dry season.Windy and dusty. Monteverde is missing only one thing. A guy in a mouse suit !
Do Rio Celeste instead. Tenorio nat'l park is like Monteverde was 25 years ago.The birds and animals are there. Get up at 4 AM and head out the door by 445 or so. You'll see all the birds you ever could imagine.
Yes. The OSA is the most incredible place on earth.You MUST go there. Stay at La Paloma lodge. Mike will hook you up with whatever you'd like to do.
Old Dec 6th, 2011, 10:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the continuing input. We may consider changing the timing of the trip so as to avoid the dry season, but are looking at February to celebrate my husband's milestone birthday.

I'll continue reading, selecting, narrowing and hopefully have a tentative itinerary soon.
Old Dec 6th, 2011, 11:17 PM

Yeah, three weeks in Costa Rica is just the right amount of time. Here are some advices based on our experiences (same age and interests):
1. rent a car! A small 4x4 is needed like Daihatsu Terios or Toyota RAV4
2. San Jose - Cerro de la Muerte for quetzales. Between KM 70 and KM80 of the Panamerican Hwy 2 (Interamericana Sur) there are severals lodges well known for excellent birdwatching.
3. Next to Osa peninsula. Basically 2 options: Puerto Jimenez if you are into selfguided hiking around Cabo Matapalo area or a day hike into Corcovado NP. Or Drake Bay for easy access to La Sirena Ranger station, the heart of Corcovado NP, and a place if you want to overnight in this amazing NP. Always with a guide!
4. Back north up the Costanera Sur, a coastal road on the Pacific side. Very good birdwatching place with excellent guides is Hacienda Baru. Or stop at Carara NP.
5. Then north again and up to Monteverde. Despite some comments above it is a place not to be missed. With a good private guide you will see lot of birds and few of tourists. Santa Elena Reserve or San Luis waterfall are nice to intense hikes.
6. On the Caribbean side best wildlife and birdwatching is in the Sarapiqui area. La Selva, Tirimbina and Rio Sarapiqui.
7. Tortuguero is also a must stop, very different place with its canals.
8. End your journey in Puerto Viejo with some days for relaxing on the beach and some days for exploring the Cahuita NP (easy selfguiding) and Gandoca Manzanillo NP (more demanding, with a guide).
Old Dec 7th, 2011, 02:46 AM

Really, don't worry so much about the wet or dry seasons. I've been to Cano Negro in both, and have seen an equal amount of wildlife. If anything, our dry-season trip was more enjoyable because it didn't pour the entire time. Sarapiqui and Tortuguero can be wet any time of the year, harder to predict.

Re:renting a car, dh and I are in the camp that prefers being driven, for several reasons - our propensity to get lost, our lack of Spanish, and the (to us) scary driving.
Old Dec 7th, 2011, 03:18 AM

#2 on xelas's list is the cloud forest (Savagre Lodge) that I posted about earlier in this thread.. Please forgive my typos!

Oh, and that's 3 visits to CR, not 93, lol - (yet)!
Old Dec 7th, 2011, 08:03 AM

You might also want to check out Rancho Naturalista http://www.ranchonaturalista.net/ for excellent mid-altitude birding outside of Turrialba and Bosque de Paz for easy access (on the way to Arenal) cloud forest environment and loads of hummingbirds. http://www.bosquedepaz.com/

I usually go for three weeks each trip, great amount of time to cover some distance in a relaxed manner.

Cattail - saw that 93 trips and thought how lucky!!!
Old Dec 7th, 2011, 12:56 PM

Check out Shelter from the Storm www.shelterfromthestormvillas.com if you choose to stay in the Dominical / Uvita area which is not as developed as the rest of Costa Rica ( not including the Osa, of course!!). The Ballena Coast as this is called has lots of activities and beautiful beaches. It is close to Hacienda Baru where there is great birding available.
Old Dec 15th, 2011, 04:54 PM

How about Durika?

www.durika.org

...or if you're feeling particularly adventurous, Highland Heritage.

http://frontiercostarica.com/Frontie...Rica/index.htm

Both are situated in the cloudforest of the Talamanca Mountains right next to La Amistad International Park. Your point of access would be from Buenos Aires, just off the Interamericana.
Old Dec 15th, 2011, 05:19 PM

Good guides at Hacienda Baru (ask for Pedro especially if you do the rainforest trek as you need someone with good ears and eyes), Savegre (any Chacon but you will love Marino), also the young guide Ersel at Arenas del Mar.

Arenal Observatory Lodge is a great spot for hiking and birdwatching, too.
Old Dec 16th, 2011, 05:48 PM

We did the Cano Negro tour in the dry season (February) and thought it was great. Saw lots of birds, lizzards, monkeys...just go. You will love it.
Old Dec 18th, 2011, 02:55 PM

Glad to hear that xyz and cat - it's such a great tour.