Jewelry in Antigua Guatemala, Jade And Silver Abound

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19th, 2011, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Antigua Guatemala is a place for Jade and Silver Jewelry. The prices are very competative and you need to shop around the 15 or so quality Jade and Silver shops in Antigua.

One of the best known areas for quality Jade and Silver Jewelry is San Filipe de Jesus a Village seldom Traveled by Tourists seeking Jewelry in Antigua. It’s worth a trip to San Filipe de Jesus Guatemala just to get a look at the this small church, distinctive for a number of reasons. It’s neo-gothic architecture sets it apart from its baroque neighbors in nearby pueblos, towns and cities.

As well, since it wasn’t built until 1819 it’s much younger and lighter in step than the more ponderous Spanish colonial churches, which were established starting in the early 16th century. There’s a good silver and Jade Jewelry factory in another part of town. We had to ask several people where it was. We suggest you do the same if you are attempting this solo and without a bus tour guide. The store and factory were locked up and the wares under cover, since they weren’t expecting tourist hordes that Saturday morning. We were glad we made the effort because Mrs. Y couldn’t resist a really pretty pair of turquoise jade and silver earrings that were purchased at a very reasonable price. About Jade Jade was a rare and valued material in pre-Columbian Mesoamerica.

The only source from which the various indigenous cultures, such as the Olmec and Maya, could obtain jade was located in the Motagua River valley in Guatemala. Jade was largely an elite good, and was usually carved in various ways, whether serving as a medium upon which hieroglyphs were inscribed, or shaped into symbolic figurines. Generally, the material was highly symbolic, and it was often employed in the performance of ideological practices and rituals.

Jade is an ornamental stone. The term jade is applied to two different metamorphic rocks that are made up of different silicate minerals: Nephrite consists of a microcrystaline interlocking fibrous matrix of the calcium, magnesium-iron rich amphibole mineral series tremolite (calcium-magnesium)-ferroactinolite (calcium-magnesium-iron).

The middle member of this series with an intermediate composition is called actinolite (the silky fibrous mineral form is one form of asbestos). The higher the iron content the greener the color. Jadeite is a sodium- and aluminum-rich pyroxene. The gem form of the mineral is a microcrystaline interlocking crystal matrix.

Shop in Antigua Guatemala that sell Jade and Silver.

I really recommend sticking to the reputable stores in Antigua Guatemala where you’ll find the most amazing selection of Jade Jewelry and sculptures and where you can obtain a certificate of authenticity. Avoid the tourist walking tours that take you to a drop off as part of the tour to a Jade factory. Avoid the Markets, would you buy a diamond ring at a Super Market? The list of Jade shops below have a long standing reputation in Antigua for making and selling quality Jade and Silver Jewelry

Jades Imperio Maya

Jades S.A.

La Casa del Jade

Joyeria del Angel

Jades Antigua

Mayan Treasures

Jade Nahual

El Reino del Jade

Isaias Chiquito

El Quinto Sol

Batres Plata

Pablos Silver Shop

Seline
Old Dec 19th, 2011, 09:55 AM

My mom passes away nearly 10 years ago but my dad still has most of her jewelry right where she left it. We were sorting through, just looking, a few months back and he picked up a silver bracelet wondering where she'd gotten it, remembering she loved it. It was one I'd purchased in a village outside of Antigua in the late 80s when I went down to pick up our son, Carlos, a Guatemalteco. I could tell because each link had a tiny quetzal on it.
Old Dec 19th, 2011, 09:56 AM

passes = passed, sorry.