Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

24 hrs in Quito: safe accomodations & what to do?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27th, 2005, 05:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi--my husband and I will have about 24 hours in Quito on our way home from Peru mid-January. We would love to get information on safe, quiet, clean places to stay as well as what we can see in Quito in that short time. We are also concerned about reports of the rising crime rate in Quito--your suggestions on how to prevent this from happening to us would also be appreciated. Thanks!
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 03:18 PM

We were in Quito for a few days last year before and after our Galapagos cruise and didn't find the city that bad (unless it has gotten much worse since then). We walked around quite a bit during the day and felt comfortable. I would just use reasonable precautions that you would in any big city - be aware of your surroundings, know where you're going (or at least look like you know), don't carry unnecessary valuables, flashy jewelry, watches, etc., keep your camera out of sight for the most part.

We stayed at the Four Points Sheraton which is a typical business hotel but it's close to the airport and they run a complimentary shuttle, so that may be an advantage for you if you're only staying 24 hours. I contacted the hotel prior to our arrival and there was a hotel employee waiting for us outside of customs with a sign. On another occasion, we just flagged down a taxi outside of the airport and that was fine too.

Taxis are cheap - about $2-$3 to get from one side of town to the other. We also hired a taxi for an afternoon to take us to the Panecillo (hilltop where the virgin monument is located) and old town for $30. The path up to the Panecillo is the only place that I heard not to walk even during the day. Our taxi driver did lock all of the doors as we drove up this way, but once you're on the top, it's fine to get out, go up in the monument, and there are some vendor booths too. In old town, we just walked around as it was late in the afternoon and many of the buildings/museums were already closed.

You say you'll have 24 hours, but what time do you arrive/depart? That may determine what you have time to see. Aside from the above two places I listed, we went to the Casa de Cultura (archaeology and art exhibits) and Mitad del Mundo (equator monument). We also spent a night in the Bellavista cloud forest and it's possible to take a daytrip here (hummingbirds galore!) but I don't think you have enough time as the drive is approx 2 hours each way. If I recall correctly, the equator monument is about 1/2 hour outside of the city.

You can find some photos of Quito in my Ecuador album -

http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=...&y=-85ilr0

Hope this helps.
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 03:59 PM

I was in Quito for a couple of nights this summer. Here is the link for the hotel where I stayed:
http://www.hotelsierranevada.com/

It is very basic but is only 2 blocks from Avenida Amazonas which is a very popular tourist area with lots of shopping. Just exercise general caution like you would in any city where you would look like a tourist. I really like Quito. Most hotels can arrange a day trip for you around the city.
Old Oct 28th, 2005, 12:48 PM

There's a cool place called Hostal la Cartuja that's only about a 1-block walk to the National Bank Museum (excellent museum --- lots of pre-colombian historical exhibits) and another block walk to Parque Ejido.

The place is secure, comfortable, and offers personal service in a fairly upscale kind of B&B environment. The building itself is the former British embassy, and it's tucked away on a quiet side street, yet still just a block walk from busy routes where you can catch a trole or a cab.

One thing I might recommend if you're into art is the Guayasmin museum (set in the artist's former residence). Nice place, good collection of pre-colombian artifacts, plus lots of his own contemporary art).

Have fun! (I'm sure you will...)
Mark
www.tiogringo.com
Old Oct 28th, 2005, 01:35 PM

La Cartuja is very nice, but be very wary of the area after dark. Thieves like the area because it is near Parque Ejido, which permits them to rob you and run away into the cover of darkness into the park.....

I speak from experience, having been robbed less than half a block from La Cartuja...on the parking lot of McDonalds, no less. Don't take more money than you need when you go out and take only a photocopy of your passport. Leave your passport, credit cards and most of your cash in the safety deposit box in your room at La Cartuja. Oh, and if you are robbed don't expect any help from the police. They are among the most corrupt public officials on earth.

Most people in Quito are very friendly, and there are some amazing sites...but be on guard while you are there.
Old Oct 30th, 2005, 02:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. We decided to go with Hotel Los Alpes since was highly recommended by a friend in Quito as well as top listing in tripadvisor. What can we realistically do in Quito in the few hours that we will have there? We will arrive about 1 pm and leave the next day at 2 pm. Thanks!
Old Nov 1st, 2005, 02:14 AM

Here are the two things I would do in Quito on a short stop over.

1. Go to the National Bank Museum (Casa de Cultura). An amazing collection of artifacts and a great way to become acquainted with the various cultures that have shaped Ecuador.

2. Arrange a tour of the Colonial part of the city. Be sure to stop in at several of the old churches in the area. Simply amazing. You could do this on your own, but given the limited amount of time, ask the people in your hotel to help arrange a guide for you....