Search

Safety in Ecuador

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25th, 2018, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Safety in Ecuador

Hi there!

I want to travel to Ecuador and the Galapagos Islands on October, I am looking to book a cruise for the Galapagos portion of my tour, but I would like to explore the city of Quito by myself. I am a little concern about safety, should I be? Have you ever been?

All your recommendations and comments are appreciated!
Old Apr 26th, 2018, 11:59 PM

"A little concerned about safety" That’s a good thin. Complacency is the enemy when travelling.

We spent a couple of months in Quito mainly to learn Spanish . We were staying at the South America Explorers club and so got the benefit of their advice which basically consisted of:
1. Don’t hail a taxi on the street.
2. Don’t stay out on the streets after 8-9pm
3. Guard your belongings from pickpockets on public transport.
4. Only use ATMs when the armed guard is there.

We didn’t hail taxis because we walked everywhere, but I think the advent of Uber et al has probably changed that issue somewhat ( although I do question whether Uber is in fact any safer)

Public transport was packed all the time and I am pretty sure I did notice hands on me in a few attempts at pickpocketing ( I doubt they just found me irrestible and impossible to keep their hands off me!)

The streets of Mariscal outside of the main tourist areas did empty out after dark leaving a lot of less desirable characters hanging around. We had to walk through such areas on our way to our club but rarely experienced any issues.

Do only use ATMs that are attached to banks in and and are open and have a guard.

A few basic precautions and you should be fine as long as you stick to places where there are lost of people. The old city is wonderful but it does have a bit of a repution after dark. Also, a trip up to teleferico for views of te city is a great half day outing but don’t wander off on to the less trodden hiking trails from there as there have been robberies reported.

Just keep your wits about you, take standard precautions and you should be fine. I have been to far worse cities.
Old May 1st, 2018, 07:12 AM

If by yourself, you are wise to be cautious. The biggest risk is to have something snatched from you. If you want to travel by yourself you can also go on the Red Bus circuit (HOHO)

https://quitotourbus.com/en/quito-city-tour/

Or take a free walking tour.

Six days a week, twice a day!

I have walked on my own in Quito but I recommend carrying only some small cash (extra in your show) , a copy of your passport, and leaving your passport, wallet and electronics in a hotel safe. If you want to take photos, take them when on the HOHO tour..better views from above anyways. I don't recommend taking any cellphone or camera out on the street when by yourself. I also don't carry a backpack or purse..just a few things in an inside pocket or shoe! Note that the teleferico is quite high and gets clouded over, walking back down into town it isn't the best. Some locals offered to accompany me.. Actually I would not go there by myself, instead the HOHO makes a half hour stop at the El Panecillo from which you also get a view.

Mariscal attracts a lot of tourists esp. backpackers and therefore pickpockets. There is a neighborhood called Colon which has a few hotels there that I've used, they are not super low budget though if you are going to Galapagos I'm guessing you aren't a budget traveler anyways!

One was Eugenia and the other La Rabida. Both on booking.com There is a Crepes and Waffles up on Orellana which is good for dinner and La Union is a a great local coffee shop/bakery at Reina Victoria and Colon. Also found some reasonably good convenience shopping on that stretch of Colon.

La Rabida is very popular, book early.

I recommend spending the night before the Galapagos near the airport. I really liked Posada Mirolindo, recommend booking direct and they will include airport transfers

Lodging near Airport Quito Posada Mirolindo | Ecuador
Old May 11th, 2018, 02:12 PM

No problem

I am right about one month in Ecuador, just arrived Quito, and after half a year around South America, and must say Ecuador is one of the most modern of them all, with strong American influence and really nice people. As I traveled even at night at Guayaquil, a city which was considered very dangers in the past, I felt very safe thanks to the work of the government and police, wanting to increase tourism. Travel without fear, just look around like in any big city. p.s. If you need recommendations for the Galápagos, feel free to ask!