2 weeks in CR - tentative itinerary, please comment

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16th, 2008, 05:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've read some great trip reports here, and have gotten some good ideas. We've decided to try Costa Rica for our summer vacation (not ideal maybe for CR, but as a teacher I take what I've got gladly!):
The only thing set in stone is our flight - Tues 7/22 till Tues 8/5, JFK to SJO nonstop on Delta.

My husband and I are early 30s, outdoorsy (enjoy hiking, kayaking, etc.) although not in the best shape these days, and generally stretch our budget in the lodging category in order to stay longer. I'm pretty sure we'll rent a 4WD for the majority of the trip. We've been to Belize, BVI, the Rivera Maya, Andalucia, Belgium, and camped through Italy and in Alaska - used to "roughing it".

Right now, my tentative ideas for the trip are:

2 nights near the airport to do a 1-day rafting trip on the Pacuare.

3 nights in Arenal (probably AOL, assuming the online lava map is correct about the direction of lava flow).

3 nights in Sta. Elena/MV - thinking about the new Rainbow Valley Lodge

2 nights near Rincon de la Vieja - probably Guachipelin, I'm really excited about the canyon tour and the mud baths!

2 nights on a beach in Guanacaste, not sure where yet. I'd like to be on the beach, where I can swim/body surf, relax (no nightlife necessary). We love to snorkel, but understand there's not great snorkeling on the Pacific coast.

1 night near airport? Our flight isn't till 3 pm, but doesn't seem wise to tempt fate. Maybe we can do a coffee tour or something in the morning?

So - if anyone has any general comments or suggestions for activities or other accommodations (we're hoping to keep under $80/night).

Some other specific questions - Which beach for the last stop? Would a day trip to Cano Negro be a good idea, given the time scale we're looking at? Are there any non-resort hot springs that can be hiked to around Arenal? If not, which of the hot springs in Fortuna are best for the money? We're also interested in seeing turtle nesting, any thoughts about how to fit that in?
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 09:55 PM

If youre at all interested in seeing sea turtles I would suggest visiting tortugero national park. That is my favorite place in costa rica.I was there last August and got to see several laying their eggs. Went on a guided tour, as you have to have a ranger take you onto the beach. It's protected. The time youre going is typically rainy season, but when I was there it was beautiful. It just depends on your luck. I also enjoyed the Cano Negro tour, as we saw quite a bit of wildlife. That's about all I can help with, as I didn't use any of the lodges you have listed below. I went strictly for the wildlife.OH, if you can do a night time lava tour of Arenal I would recommend it. It is the one thing I am kicking myself for not doing while I was there.
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 08:29 AM

Sounds like a good plan, but I'd look into flying out of Liberia if I were you. Saves that 5 hour drive back to SJO.

Also, you might be interested in booking 4 nights on the beach, and doing the Rincon as a daytrip. There is a tour called the Mega-Combo, full day, which is excellent.

Our summer is a great time to go. Everything is lush and green there, and the rain, if it comes, is usually just an hour or so in the afternoon, although it CAN rain more, it doesn't usually. We've spent July down there for years now. We really like the green season--fewer people!
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 08:30 AM

Also, if you really want to stay IN the Rincon, I think I'd drop the Monteverde portion. I think you will wish you had more than 2 nights at the beach.
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the comments, everyone! I did look into flying open jaw out of Liberia, but there weren't any non-stop options and the prices were a lot higher. So drive we will!

Although I could probably spend more than 2 days at the beach, my husband doesn't much care for the ocean, and will just sit and read anyway - so I'd rather do something that I can't do at home. But doing a sidetrip is an idea.

Any thoughts on which beach? I'm leaning toward around Samara or Nosara (those are the right names, right?) or maybe Brasilito/Conchal. Looking for somewhere fun to swim (some waves) and a nice but inexpensive place to stay (on the water if possible).
Old Mar 19th, 2008, 09:08 AM

I like the itinerary. With so much to cover, it is hard to do it with one post. But I will try!

I would make a few small changes.

Two nights on the beach is not a lot of time. I would blow it off, and spend an extra night at Guachipelin.

Most of the rafting companies will not pick up near the airport, so it is much easier to stay in town for the two nights. Also, have you considered doing an overnight or two night rafting trip? This is what you could do with one or two of the nights you save by skipping the beach. Very worthwhile.

You could also take these beach nights and go to Tortuguero. You could spend the night after rafting in the Guapiles area, and be picked up to go to Tortuguero the next morning. You can be transferred directly to Arenal after Tortuguero, and pick up your 4WD the next morning in La Fortuna. We do this for our guests all the time. It is cheaper and more effective timewise.

Hope this helps! Let me know if I can offer more advice.

Warm Regards,
Pat Hewitt
(Travel professional)

Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 04:13 PM
Original Poster

I still haven't made up my mind about the itinerary. MV or the beach? Or something else entirely? Still pondering...

My next question for experts - how far in advance do I need to reserve rooms for late July - early August? It would be nice to stay flexible if possible, at least for now as we're reading and digesting lots of information. I'm looking for budget to midrange lodges, B&Bs, etc.
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 07:27 PM

You probably won't have any trouble finding lodging if you wait a bit longer unless there is someplace in particular you want to be sure of. We will be there at the same time, beginning mid-July and I am booking right now. I just like to get it down and off my mind.

For me, the beach time would be important. Tortuguero is a great place to visit (and this is perfect timing for seeing the turtles nesting--a magical experience!), but you can't "play" in the water there. It's too rough. We really enjoyed our boat rides through the rivers and canals. We went with Fran and Modesto Watson and they were fabulous guides--a very gracious couple who operate the Riverboat Francesca. You can google it.

I know it is a hard decision to make--deciding what you'd most like to do. It's all good! Considering the timing of your trip, though, Tort. is one of your better options. I'd save Monteverde for another trip just to be able to see those turtles!
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 05:11 PM
Original Poster

The beaches I'm considering are Playa Hermosa (Hotel El Velero), Playa Brasilito (Hotel Brasilito) or maybe Montezuma. We'd like to be on the beach, I'd like to be able to swim in a bit of surf if possible. (I'm not really interested in Tortuguera for whatever reason.)

Anyway, any pros or cons about any of the beaches I mentioned? Or alternative suggestions? I'm still also considering skipping the beach, but if we go, we'll probably cut a day somewhere else to make room for 3 nights.
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 07:58 PM

Both beaches are good (or close to good ones!). Both hotels basic, but I wouldn't hesitate to stay at either. We've stayed at Hotel Brasilito several times, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Love its location.

El Velero at Playa Hermosa is a "quieter" beach. Brasilito is always "hoppin'"!
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 08:00 PM

I should clarify a bit more:

Playa Hermosa: dark brown sand, horseshoe beach, good for swimming, not much wave action

Playa Brasilito: not such a clean beach, but next door to Playa Conchal, a very pretty beach with water sports.

Old Apr 25th, 2008, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

Shillmac,
Thanks for all your help in this thread, and your contributions to the forum in general!
What kind of water sports at Conchal? I would probably give surfing a try at a beginner-speed beach, and we've tried wind surfing as well.
Old Apr 25th, 2008, 05:55 PM

There's a company there and they offer water activities like kayaking, jet skis (don't care for those things), etc. It's a pretty shell beach. It's also fun to shop among the vendors. They don't bother you, but there are a lot of things to browse. . .