Search

Comment on Itinerary CR?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2005, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Comment on Itinerary CR?

Hi to all,
Am going to Cr July 5 for 11 nights. This is the plan for now- but please critique as i think we are trying to do too much in this time frame!
July 5 arrive- 2 nights peace lodge
2 nights Arenel Pariaso
2 nights Fonda Vela
2 nights Nicoya area tbd
2 nights MA Si Como No
1 night Marriott on points
We will rent 4 wd from tricolor.
Question is the 4 beach nights? Should I do one location for 4 nts or leave it 2 and 2. It is green season and we would love to see some sun, as well as flat water kayak.
Comments wold be appreciated, thanks in advance!
Old Mar 15th, 2005, 04:35 AM

I can't comment on traveling in July, as we always travel in Feb.

I think everything looks good, until your beach location.

Typically 11 nights, we maybe 4 locations, but your flow of travel and nights at each, will give you time to travel at a reasonably comfortable pace. However you still may feel rushed in Arenal and Monteverde, but doable.

Personally I think splitting your beach time, may be a bit too much traveling and end your trip feeling rushed. I would stay at one beach location for the entire 4 nights, enjoying the area and having time to relax - now deciding which beach!? Good Luck, it would be a tough choice.
Old Mar 15th, 2005, 08:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much dfarmer- i was hoping to get an answer from one f the fodorites I have learned the most from!
Any opinions out there on beaches- my instinct was 4 nights one location could be the way 2 go....but which beach in july is the question. Would also love to kayak still water
Old Mar 15th, 2005, 08:31 AM

Well Gosh - I am blushing! Thanks so much.

I am leaning toward Manuel Antonio. It just has so much to offer, without alot of driving. You literally can pick most any activity and it is there.

I was thinking that there was a kayak tour, so did a quick search and found this - I am sure there are many other sites but - http://www.puertoquepos.com/ecotouri...-kayaking.html
Maybe that will help quench your thirst for kayaking.

I have only been on the Nicoya twice, once way up North and the other in Montezuma. As I enjoyed both, I am still searching for my perfect beach.

We were in MA for 5 nights, 3 years ago. We enjoyed it and there are still things that we want to do there someday in the future.

I know MA is further south and might have a bit of rain, but it seems that most people report only showers in late afternoon or evening. Hopefully you will hear from someone with some July experience.

You are headed for a lovely trip. We have stayed at Peace Lodge (fabulous place) and Arenal Parasio, very much enjoyed both.

Old Mar 15th, 2005, 02:59 PM
Iza

Not exactly July, but I can definitely tell you about our August experience in Costa Rica (based on 3 trips).

I definitely agree with dfarmer about not splitting your beach destinations and just picking one. After switching hotels 3 times you will be ready to stay longer in one place.

We stayed in Tamarindo, Nosara, Malpais, Manuel Antonio and Osa Peninsula during our trips and the weather really was not an issue anywhere except that it was extremely humid and rather stormy on Osa.

I think that one difference between the beaches in the northwest (around Tamarindo and north from there) and the beaches further south is consistency. In Tamarindo, we did not have a day that would be other than sunny and bright in the morning, then in the afternoon the clouds rolled in and sometimes it rained but most often it did not. So you can really plan your activities for the morning because the weather will most likely cooperate. The more southern beaches have the rain thing happening at different times of the day. For example, we spent 4 days in MA a few years ago, and we had one cloudy and cool day (temps in the 70s), one really sunny and bright day, one day that started with clouds and drizzle in the morning but cleared up by noon and one day where it was really hot, humid and hazy. In Malpais, we had one evening of rain out 4 days we spent there, otherwise it was sunny and beautiful; in Nosara it rained a few times in 2 days (but it passed quickly and cleared in-between).

All in all, we love going in August because everything is lush and green and the weather has never been a problem. We always got plenty of sun and beach/pool time.
Old Mar 15th, 2005, 05:32 PM
Original Poster

You guys are the best, thanks so much- the link to the kayak site was great
Keep the comments coming- you all have helped so much!