Help Me Plan!!!

Old Aug 17th, 2004, 05:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help Me Plan!!!

We're going to costa rica in February - we fly into Liberia and tentatively have reservations at Hotel Las Tortugas..we're there for a week - In addition, we've looked at Hotel Sugar Beach, but cant be sure which would be better located for seeing the area - and - what should we plan on doing - Help!
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 05:29 AM

How long will you be staying? One week total? Consider:

Monkey Park near Tamarindo
Canopy Tour
Rincon de la Vieja area (for canopy, mud baths,horseback, hiking)
ATV's
Guaitil (near Santa Cruz--where they make pottery)
Palo Verde
Spend time in Tamardindo

Hotel Sugar Beach would be an excellent choice as is Hotel las Tortugas. It's a bit isolated (Sugar Beach), but that isn't a problem.

Once you leave the paved road as you approach Playa Flamingo, you drive through Potrero, past Playas Potrero and la Penca, and then Sugar Beach. This entire area is connected with dirt roads, not much to do, but would be good for a couple of days. Not an entire week, IMO. Why don't you break it up a bit and stay a couple of places?
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 05:38 AM

Oops. . .I meant to say Tamarindo, not Tamardindo Necesito proofread mas!
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

yes, just one week - is there any way that i could do monteverde in this time period...and rinccon? if i break it up at different places, it looks like it would be an overnite stay in monteverde..any suggestions?
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 06:12 PM

You could do Monteverde, but I wouldn't advise anything less than 2 nights. It's too time consuming to get in and out for no more than that. For one week, do yourself a favor and don't select more than 2 locations. You'll lose too much valuable time in transfers. The Rincon de la Vieja is a great area to visit, although in the dry season, it won't be as pretty. In July and August, it is gorgeous!

Since you are interested in Monteverde, why don't you spend a couple of nights there, then go to the beach for 4 nights. Or split your time between Arenal and the beach. Actually, the latter combination is an ideal one, I think for seeing the best of Costa Rica.

What time does your flight arrive and depart? That makes a huge difference in the way you plan your trip. If you arrive before 2:00, you have time to go on up to Arenal (not Monteverde) that first day. Regardless of your departure time, it is extremely wise to return from the beach the night before. Stay at a hotel (something like Las Orquideas) where you could enjoy a good meal, fun bar, great breakfast. If you have an afternoon departure, you would have the morning to relax or check out nearby Sarchi--at least until 11:00 a.m. or noon.
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 07:02 PM
Original Poster

shillmac -

Remember, though, we're flying in and out of Liberia - we arrive at 1:30 - and depart at 3o - i was thnking the first 5 nights in playa grande - that way we could bum around the area - see rincon-tamarindo, turtle nesting, then the last 2 nights in monteverde..but how long is it from monteverde to liberia - and also from playa grande to monteverde? am i cutting myself too close to departing flights if i stay in monteverde the last night and drive to airport in the morning?
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 07:03 PM
Original Poster

oops - meant depart at 3:00 in afternoon-darn fingers!
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 07:17 PM

Sorry, overlooked your Liberia itinerary! You could return to the airport from Monteverde on the day of your departure. I think you are looking at about 3.5-4 hours of drive time. I'd be sure and leave early enough to allow a couple of spare hours just in case. Given the roads coming down from Monteverde, even that would make me nervous. But that's me

From Playa Grande, you could be at the airport in about 1.5 hour. It would be BETTER to stay there the last night, but then that would put you at Monteverde first and you would be pushing it to get there before dark your first night--not a good idea for that route. You COULD cut your time at Playa Grande to 4 nights. Then return from Monteverde one day before departure and stay at Playa Hermosa (Hotel El Velero, for example), which is about 30 minutes from the airport. That would allow you to see another beach area. You could go to Playa del Coco that night where there is a little nightlife. Might add to your adventure. Just a thought.
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 07:20 PM

Regarding Playa Grande to Monteverde, about 5 hours. That may be a long estimate, but I don't think by much.
Old Aug 20th, 2004, 08:18 AM
Original Poster

I really hate to keep packing up my suitcases every couple of days!..what I'm thinking is stay in Playa Grande for the 5 nights, get up early and drive to monteverde for the 6th and 7th nite, leave monteverde early )8'ish in the morning for the airport and i think that should give me enough time for my flight at 3:00...I go back to your earlier suggestion of not wanting to spend all my time moving around and enjoying my stay...my wife wont want to be in 3 different hotels, but she'll want to see monteverde...2 questions -
1. are there things to stop and see on the way to monteverde from playa grande and 2. do you think i'm allowing myself enough time to get from monteverde to liberia airport. (I really didnt want to rent a car while there, but it looks like I will be!!
Old Aug 20th, 2004, 09:22 AM

I think you will not find a lot to do on the way to Monteverde. When you enter the main highway, across the highway, there is a nice restaurant and also a small soda that sells baked things. There are frequently monkeys in the trees here, and some deer in a fenced in area in the back. It's a good place to take a break.

Assuming it is no more than 4 hours Monteverde to Liberia, and assuming nothing ahead of you will slow up or stop traffic (big assumption), 8:00 will probably be okay. However, it will take a little time to check in your vehicle and of course you'll want to check in at the airport by 1:00. I'd probably leave at 7:00 a.m. Sounds like an excellent plan overall, and I hope you two enjoy your time in Costa Rica. Well, that's silly. . .of course you will! Have fun!