Search

2 month trip - any tips?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17th, 2005, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 month trip - any tips?

Hi!
I'm planning a 2 month trip round South America; I will probably visit Argentina, Chile, Brazil (small part of), Bolivia, Ecuador and Peru plus stay with a friend in Colombia for an extra month.

I was wondering if anyone has tips, like must-sees or avoid. Also, I'd be really grateful if anyone could let me know, from their own experience, how much a 2 month trip might cost, excluding flights into and out of SA.

Happy to converse via email: [email protected]

Many thanks!
Abi
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 11:23 AM

I feel you should read and reread the many threads published here and come up with more specific questions.

Your trip can cost anything from a few thousand to much, much more, depending on whether you are a backpacker type or a high roller.

Check the cost of the local flights and the cost of the hotels mentioned in this forum that seem right for you and you'll come up with an approximate answer.
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 11:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice, but it is very hard to search for info in the forum!

To clarify, this will be a backpackers type trip, rather than very expensive. I have time to save though so I am really just after people's own experiences of how much they took on a trip like this and whether it was enough, or not enough....

I am really just keen to get other people's opinions about a trip like this as I don't know anyone else who has done it...so would appreciate a bit of guidance!!!!

thanks!
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 04:28 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
You will have much better luck if you read &/or post your question over on www.lonelyplanet.com and go to their message board called The Thorn Tree, South American branch.

There are LOADS of posters there who travel exactly as you describe. People here on Fodors tend to be a bit more upscale with shorter vacations and higher budgets than the experience you seek out.

kindly, suze
Old Aug 18th, 2005, 06:21 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Guidebook series such as Rough Guides or Lonely Planet might also be helpful.

For budgeting purposes there are so many variables. What kind of places do you plan to stay? Will you be camping, staying in hostels, looking for small local hotels? Will you be in cities or the countryside? How much traveling around do you plan to do within each country you mention (that will determine how much you need to figure for bus fares).

Again I will suggest Lonely Planet's website, because that is where you will definitely find other people who have done this kind of trip.