Search

I need advice!

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2007, 02:20 PM
Afoleybeverlyhills

I need advice!

Hi, my name is Emily, and I need some help planning a trip to the United Kingdom. I'm looking for a lengthy stay where I'll get to visit Scotland, Ireland, and England. I just graduated from high school and this is a gift from my mother. I will want the trip to embody historical sightseeing along with great clubs and nightlife. I'm having trouble with planning out how I'm going to visit all three places, find hotels, and still see everything I'd like to see. So if anyone has visited the UK or has had a similar trip as the one I'm wanting, can you please give me any pointers or tips? I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you for reading.

Old May 30th, 2007, 02:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Emily, I suppose that you are about 18. You seem young and inexperienced to be taking on such a venture. Please reassure me that you will not be travelling on your own.

You mention hotels rather than the preferred option of young travellers, which is to use hostels, which are cheaper and provide opportunities to contact other, generally young, travellers. Have you a very generous budget?

Please note that the United Kingdom incorporates only part of Ireland.
Old May 30th, 2007, 02:34 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Afoley: You need to sit down and take a deeeeeep breath.

Then - give us a bit more info:

1) how long will the trip be?
2) are you traveling on you own or w/ someone else?
3) when is the trip?
4) what sort of budget do you have?

and any other details you can give us and then we can help a lot
Old May 30th, 2007, 02:40 PM

Emily congratulations on your graduation. Give your mother a big hug and alwyas be nice to her cuz (as youknow) she is giving you a fabulous trip. I hope she gets to go with you!

May I recommend that the best use of this forum is to do some research on your own first. Try books at the library and archives on this site, on Rick Steve's, on Slow Travel, and on other sites connected with common guide book companies.

Also, talk with your friends who have already been to these countries for ideas.

Check out web pages from visitors bureaus (cities, counties, etc.) and museums in the UK and Ireland. The planning is a lot of fun.

Once you have done this, you will no daoubt have more specific questions. Search the archives more for answers to them. If you don't find answers, then post a specific question here (with a very specific title). Let us know that you already checked the archives. If you have several questions on very different items, you may want to post them separately. That will help you get more useful answers.

Also remember, you may need to limit your trip regarding how many things you see, places you go, hot spots you hit. Some folks choose to hit fewer places but get to know one town more in depth. I imagine most of us acknowledge we can't see it all, and even before we start, we plan to return another time to pick up some of the other stuff.

So curl up with a good guide book or a few good web sites and have fun planning. It's a great life skill to acquire that will serve you well throughout a life of travel!
Old May 30th, 2007, 02:41 PM
Afoleybeverlyhills

I will definitely not be traveling alone. I will be going with my mom(57 yrs.) and my sister(21yrs.) We'd prefer to stay in a hotel rather than a hostel. I'd like the trip to be 2 weeks. She just told me of the idea today, so the budget part hasn't been discussed. I am inexperienced, and to be honest it will be new to my mother and my sister, we have never traveled out of the states. So it's very overwhelming. I do know the trip won't happen for a while, at least a couple months.

Old May 30th, 2007, 02:49 PM

OK - that is a good start. Now click on DESTINATIONS above and start reading up on the different areas.

Two weeks is a pretty short time to go to more than one countrty - let alone 3. Decide which country sounds like the best to you. Then maybe you can squeeze in a bit of one other. For instance if you want to visit London - then you could alsl see a bit of Scotland. Or maybe a little bit of Ireland - but not both.
Old May 30th, 2007, 02:50 PM
Afoleybeverlyhills

I appreciate everyones kindness and concern. But really, I just want some tips from anyone who has been to the UK on an extended trips. Places to see, great hotels, and cheap airline prices. Just things like that. I'm aware of the dangers, and I'm aware of the expense. I just want to here some advice for UK travel. I hope that specifies things a little more.

Old May 30th, 2007, 02:55 PM

Well, it shouldn't be very dangerous with your mom and sister going with you. I guess it's all relative, but I wouldn't call two weeks an "extended stay", that's a pretty usual amount of time. When I read your post I thought you were talking about a couple of months.
Old May 30th, 2007, 03:01 PM

you can safely ignore all the dire warnings in padraig's post - I'm sure he assumed you meant you were going by yourself and didn't have any ideas.

You still need to tell us when the trip is. and many of the things you are asking are unanswerable w/o more info from you. For instance, no one can tell you about airfares unless we know where you are flying from and what time of year.

The people who have posted so far either live(d) in the British Isles - or have been there MANY times, so we can give you lots of help. But just "I have 2 weeks - tell me where to go" isn't easy to answer.

So read up in some of the places already recommended and then come back w/ some focus.
Old May 30th, 2007, 03:01 PM

Sounds to me like you need a good guide book to England and Scotland. Go to a local big book store like Barnes and Noble or Borders and visit the travel books section. You will find quite a few books available.

After about 4 hours of reading carefully, come back to the forum with some questions that say something other than "I'm ignorant. Plan my trip for me."

I hate to sound blunt, but you have a lot of homework to do if you want to do anything more than be hauled about by some tour agency.

Old May 30th, 2007, 03:02 PM
Afoleybeverlyhills

Well, again I'm new to this. The length of the trip hasn't been discussed yet. Two weeks is just an estimate. But that really doesn't matter. I would just like to hear about any experiences in the UK people had that they can inform me about so I can get a better picture of where I want to go for my trip, and how to go about planning it.

Old May 30th, 2007, 03:06 PM
Afoleybeverlyhills

Wow, Ok well I suppose I made a mistake signing up for this forum. I thought there might be some nice people who could give an experience or two. I'm not asking for you people to plan my whole trip for me. But anyways,Thank you to all the considerate people who replied. I'm going to another forum.

Old May 30th, 2007, 03:53 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
No need to get in a huff with the people trying to help you. Sorry you can't understand that.

ANY forum needs the details we asked for. And every forum will suggest you get a couple guidebooks to start with.

Two weeks DOES matter. The reason people are questioning it, is that it is very short for seeing all the places you you mention. It would be very rushed.

Old May 30th, 2007, 04:13 PM

First of all, instead of acting like a child you should be READING what these wonderful fodorites are writing. They are trying to help you, but instead you do not want to give much information.

Budget -- well, this is a biggie. Want to rent a private jet and stay in $15,000 per night penthouses or perhaps backpack on a hiking tour and stay in hostels? I'm not kidding the choices are that varied. People on this board do it all.

Length of stay and time of year -- once again, a biggie. Summer is expensive, winter isn't as bad. But some places are fantastic in summer and suck in winter. You could visit all three listed countries in 2 weeks, by alloting your time.

Listening to others -- I've been to scores of countries and knew from the very start to listen to others. Now, I may not pay any attention to it, but I listen.

If you want help, ask for it but in such a way that people can actually help you.

dave
Old May 30th, 2007, 04:19 PM

Emily, are you still here? Or should we turn our attention to other matters?
Old May 30th, 2007, 04:26 PM

Have been to all of those places several times And to give you the information you're asking for would take me many hours.

That's why people are sugeesting that you

1) do some basic reading - it;s your trip - not ours - you need to do some work first

2) answer our questions (do you want to try for hotels that are $200 per night or can you spend $500 - for example)

2) come back with more specific questions

And 2 weeks is NOT an extended trip. It's a very short time for all 3 countries and you're going to need to either cut countires or do only one place in each - with day trips.

Please - do some work yourself and then come back.
Old May 30th, 2007, 04:29 PM

Emily,
People really are very helpful on this forum. But they need a bit of a handle on your trip before they can provide useful information for you. The first thing to do when planning a trip is decide how much time you have. This depends on work/school schedules and budgetary concerns.

Then, figure out what places you really want to see and how many you can fit into your available time. This is where some background reading comes in. I suspect that is what you were looking for when you came to the forum. If so, I can suggest that you use the search function, and type in "trip report" and the place name and you will find tons of first hand accounts.

I've been to the UK with my 18 and 21 year old daughters several times, and can give some suggestions when your plans get a bit more specific.
Old May 30th, 2007, 04:29 PM

she says she is going elsewhere - - - - - (I can only imagine what sort of response she'll where ever that is)

Afoley: Just in case you are still peeking - every single response was trying to help you - we went to a lot of trouble to try to get you focused and thinking about the things that are important.

You wanted to hear "an experience or two" - but you are asking about places w/ thousands of years of history, hundreds upon hundreds of places to visit, covering 3+ countries, and millions of people. You need to study up.

Being rude/snippy in return is not very nice - maybe a sign of someone too young/immature to travel overseas . . . . .
Old May 30th, 2007, 04:35 PM

Sigh ... We tried!
Old May 30th, 2007, 05:01 PM

Not very hard. Bob was rude.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -