1st time Scuba Diving

Sep 26th, 2003, 12:41 PM
Original Poster

1st time Scuba Diving

Will be in Belize in November and want to try Scuba diving. Not sure until we try it if it is something we will take up long term. Considering 2 options..1) taking beginning Scuba classes here, getting ltr of transfer and doing open water dives there....seems like diving there would be more interesting than diving in quarry here.... 2) Waiting until we get there and just doing one of those "resort" Scuba classes etc. Which is the best thing to do in our circumstances? Will be based in Belize City. Any recommendations about particular dive cos. or locations???
Sep 26th, 2003, 12:49 PM

Considering this is your first time, I'd go with doing a resort dive in Belize just to see whether or not you'll even like it. My first time diving was wonderful, although my second was even more interesting. We encountered lobsters, sea turtles and even 6 5 foot long barracudas. We were probably 20 feet away, we didn't bother them and they didn't bother us. After diving 4 times now, my husband and I will get into scuba lessons at home and do our deep water dive in Mexico in January. Just my suggestion.
Sep 26th, 2003, 03:23 PM

I agree with Kat. The resort course gives you the opportunity to see a whole lot of things without having to invest a lot of time or money in a dive course and equipment.
We saw more on our very first dive in St Lucia with an included resort course than almost any other dive since we became certified 10 years ago and with diving all over the Caribbean.
If you fall in love with it, you can get certified at home and do checkouts at home where you'll have plenty of time to relax and do your skills instead of spending time worrying about your check out skills on vacation.
Plus, since we had taken the resort course, we were able to dive again on the vacation without further instruction.
Sep 29th, 2003, 05:28 AM

You're not going to have much of a choice of dive courses or dive options in Belize City. Belize City isn't a tourist or dive center (except for cruise ships which bring in day-trippers. By contrast there are a couple of dozen dive shops in San Pedro.

--Lan Sluder
Sep 29th, 2003, 01:51 PM
Original Poster

We are trying to meet the interests of 4 people...will do day trips from there to other places for ruins, nature, rain forests etc. Scuba will only be something some us want to try while we are there. We had assumed we could take water ferries to the Cayes for the day and scuba from there. Also wanted to find a good place for several folks to snorkel. Is the distance too great to do something like this??? I've ordered some of the books Lan recommended in hopes that it will make everything a little more clear...thanks.
Sep 29th, 2003, 05:45 PM

pcash,

Several folks here have tried to make the point to you that Belize City is not where you want to be, regardless of whom your party consists of or what you want to do or not do. You could stay in San Pedro and do everything you want, and you would be far, far, far, far better off.

I've only been traveling in Belize for a dozen years and have written half a dozen books on the country, so what do I know?

But you have your own ideas and that's fine. Just let us know how it turns out.

--Lan Sluder
Sep 30th, 2003, 07:15 AM
Original Poster

trip was a gift and no option to change location...paid for and no refunds...we were just trying to figure the best options based on the reservations we were given...i hope that being based out of belize city doesn't ruin the entire trip as you make it sound....