Search

1 week in CR...itinerary help please

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8th, 2004, 09:57 PM
alg
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1 week in CR...itinerary help please

We have just started planning a trip to Costa Rica in November (were originally going to go to Hawaii again, but have had a change of plans). This is what I'm thinking: 1 night in the Central Valley (Xandari), 2 nights at Peace Lodge, then 4 nights either in MA or the Caribbean Coast. But, I'm having a difficult time judging distances. We will be renting a car...can we get to the Caribbean side from Peace Lodge in a "reasonable" amount of time (say, 4 hours or so)? The hotel website says San Jose is 3.5 hours away. Or, should we proceed to MA?
Old Aug 8th, 2004, 10:44 PM

We drove from Cahuita to Peace Lodge in about 4.5 hours, including a stop for lunch. Go North from Peace Lodge to Hwy 4 and then take that down to the Hwy that goes to Limon. Don't try to go through San Jose if possible.
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 06:17 AM

From Peace Lodge you should be about equal distances (more or less) from each coast. The two coast vary considerably. The Pacific is the more common destination for tourists and has some very nice resorts, small boutique hotels, and beaches. The Caribbean is also quite lovely, but it is definitely a different culture there, Jamaican in flavor, with a less developed infrastructure. There are some very acceptable and enjoyable places to stay, lovely beaches, good restaurants. You'll be aware of more poverty on this side. It depends somewhat on what type of experience you wish to have--either way, you should have a wonderful time. IMO, you just can't go wrong with any destination in Costa Rica!
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 07:45 AM
alg
Original Poster

Thank you for your responses. We are considering the Costa Verde Hotel in MA and the Shawandha Lodge on the Caribbean side. Perhaps we should stick with the Pacific side since this our first trip to the area.
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 07:50 AM

Unless you have 10 days or more, you will probably want to stick with just one coast, as you said. Most people choose the Pacific, and the Manuel Antonio area is very popular. I promise you will want to go back as there is so much to see and do. Map distances and travel times are deceiving due to mountainous, 2 lane, narrow roads, and it is a good idea to keep your transfer time at a minimum so you can enjoy more time at the destinations you choose to enjoy!
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 11:01 AM
alg
Original Poster

Ok, so we've bought tickets, rented a car, and reserved hotels. I just thought I'd add that I have never planned a trip this quickly (I usually research hotels and regions for days). But, we are in the process of moving and don't have a lot of time right now, so here goes:

Arrive San Jose Saturday, 10 am: 1 night at Xandari
Drive to Peace Lodge for 2 nights
Drive to Manuel Antonio for 4 nights, staying at Hotel Costa Verde II
Depart San Jose Saturday at 5:30 pm

Where is the best place to do a canopy tour?
Any other tours/activities not to be missed?
Should we try to get into San Jose to see the national theater on the first Saturday?
Any other suggestions/comments?

Thanks! Amy
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 11:22 AM

Sounds like a great itinerary! I loved Peace Lodge & hope you do too! We heard that Hacienda Pozo Azul (about 45 mins - 1 hr north of PL) is one of the best outfitters in the country - so we went there for the canopy tour & a 1/2 day of rafting - which was incredible! Their canopy tour actually has 2 cables - one as a back up - which I guess is pretty rare in CR, but it helped me feel much more secure. It doesn't seem like it gets very crowded there & everything we did was just us & the guides. Have PL call for you so they are aware of when you are coming in for the activities - but drive yourselves & pay at Pozo Azul to save some $. They have a website too www.haciendapozoazul.com. Have a great trip!
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 11:52 AM

You have an excellent itinerary planned. If I were you, I'd just go with what you've got and think about seeing San Jose another time. Many people don't care for it at all. I say it's worth a visit, but not if you have to make special plans or arrangements to go there. San Jose can be experienced in half a day, in my opinion, and visiting there is convenient if you have an afternoon flight and stay in town the night before. It is a good way to spend a few hours in the morning before your flight or the night before while staying in town at a hotel. It certainly is NOT the best part of Costa Rica! Have a great trip!
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 11:56 AM

One other thing, I'm assuming you know that the airport is a few miles west of San Jose (in Alajuela). Traffic in the city is horrendous, and getting around extremely complicated. It would just be much easier to arrive in the nice gentle outskirts and head straight to Xandari!
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 12:26 PM
alg
Original Poster

Thank you! I can't wait!!!