Zurich to Rome over winter break

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21st, 2023, 08:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be landing in Zurich around December 21 and leaving from Rome around January 5, visiting friends for a few days in both places. We will not have a car and are looking for suggestions for an itinerary, eg train stopovers. I know this isn’t a great time to be in that area but want to make the best of it. We are not big skiers but wouldn’t mind beautiful snowy scenery. I am kind of a weather wimp but other family members are more tolerant of winter snow and rain.
Old Jul 21st, 2023, 11:01 AM

After subtracting the number of days you're planning for Zurich and Rome, how many days do you have for in between?
Old Jul 21st, 2023, 03:10 PM

No worries about snow in Rome.

Not sure what you mean about it not being a great time. Yes it'll be busy but when isn't it?

Venice is an obvious choice. Also basically any of the other northern cities.

You'll need to consider what you're doing Christmas day, the 26th and New Years. How you're dealing with food? Many places will be maxed out . Both hotels and restuarants.
Old Jul 22nd, 2023, 01:47 PM

Xmas in Italy isn’t quite the same as some other European countries. Xmas day is a public holiday and so is Epiphany (January 6). However it doesn’t close down for several days in the same way as the UK for example. Many people will go to midnight mass on Xmas Eve and spend Xmas day with family. However whether you are in Switzerland or Italy, I would reserve a table for your evening meal.

You haven’t given any information about budget, but it will be more expensive in Switzerland (and colder). I think a possible itinerary could be:
5 nights Zurich - xmas visiting friends
Fast train to Milan (about 3 hrs 15 mins) or Florence (5 hours 30 minutes)
3 nights Milan/Florence then Fast train to Rome
6 nights Rome - New Year with friends, explore Rome and possibly day trips to Orvieto and Ostia Antica
Old Jul 23rd, 2023, 02:59 PM
Original Poster

I think around 8
Old Jul 23rd, 2023, 11:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have taken the train from Zürich to Italy around January 5th many times and find it a wonderful time to explore the city. Fewer crowds, more authenticity and then there are the Christmas celebrations with the nativity scenes in the churches. I was in Bologna during Epiphany a few years back and was delighted to experience La Befana, the "witch" of Christmas who has pagan origins.
Old Jul 24th, 2023, 10:35 AM

All depends on your interests. A lot of Italian museums and churches may be closed or of limited access over Christmas/New Year.
On the other hand, many places are nicer to visit without tourist hordes, Venice included.
A lot may depend on the wheather which is absolutely unpredictible in December. Sometimes the Alps are sunny and relatively warm, with no snow up to 2000 metres whereas Northern Italy is under thick fog. In other years, it snows in the Alps and Val Padana is in bright sun.
Old Jul 26th, 2023, 08:34 AM

Most trains between Switzerland and Rome pass through Milan. Often overlooked by tourists, Milan is a vibrant city, and is especially festive in the holiday season, which stretches from the 7th of December through the 6th of January. Some of the trams are decorated like Christmas trees, there is a festival atmosphere in the Piazza del Duomo, and there are special concerts and exhibitions in the museums. For example, each year the city has a free exhibition of one or more major works of art. (One year we saw Leonardo da Vinci's painting of St. John the Baptist, on loan from the Louvre.)

I've been in London, Paris, and Rome over Christmas, but I can honestly say that Milan was my favourite. (Paris in 2019 was a bit ruined by a transit strike.)