Zurich to Luzern

Apr 22nd, 2009, 08:29 PM
Original Poster

Zurich to Luzern

Hello All,

Has anyone done a day trip from Zurich to Luzern?
If so, please discuss your experience and the methods of transportation you used that day.

Thanks.
Apr 22nd, 2009, 08:35 PM

Hi nancicita,

I haven't actually done this as a day-trip, but I've been to both cities, and I do know they are less than an hour apart by train.

Rather than fighting traffic, looking for parking, and paying for parking if you drive, taking the train is quick and easy. The train will whisk you from city center to city center with no worries.

You can take a look at the train schedules and fares at the Swiss rail site,

www.rail.ch

Do you have a plan for your hours in Luzern? In case you don't, let me suggest a stroll around the old town to see the medieval buildings and fountains, of course the Chapel bridge, and a cruise around the lakes. If you have time, you can also ascend one of the nearby peaks (many people combine a trip to Rigi with a lake cruise). Here are some sights with more information:

www.luzern.org
www.rigi.ch
www.pilatus.ch
www.titlis.ch
www.lakelucerne.ch

Hope this is what you were looking for!

s
Apr 23rd, 2009, 04:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks swandav2000! The information you have provided looks very useful and I will definitely take a look.

I've reserved two nights at an apartment in Zurich since that's where I'll be flying in (13 hour flight non-stop, with lots of luggage and two small dogs), so I don't want to venture too far away from the city in the first couple of days upon arrival.

Luzern looks beautiful and very relaxing. I wonder if I could do a day trip, though.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Apr 23rd, 2009, 04:33 PM

We've done it the other way around - a day trip from Lucerne to Zurich (Lucern is a MUCH more charming town). But we were on a road trip so did it by car. Had no trouble finding a garage and the trip took less than an hour.
Apr 23rd, 2009, 06:19 PM

Trains leave every hour or more often and take about an hour---piece of cake. You will like Luzern.
Apr 24th, 2009, 06:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks bobthenavigator
Apr 27th, 2009, 05:10 AM

There are actually 2 trains per hour, during peak hours even 4 trains. It is a popular commuting route - a lot of people live in Luzern and work in Zürich, or vice versa.
Feb 1st, 2011, 06:06 PM

We want to get from Zurich airport to Luzern. (2 adults) I looked up the train tickets [email protected] + $18 handling fee!

Do I need to buy these in advance, or can I just buy them at the station and avoid the handling fee?

Thanks,
Mike
Feb 1st, 2011, 06:37 PM

Wherever you go in Switzerland, if, repeat, if, you have the time, take mountain roads. They're quite safe, incredibly scenic and the small mountain towns (and their hotels) are wonderful.
Naturally, they'll take more time but a hurried vacation is a shame and a waste. (That's why guided tours on a rigid schedule are pitiful.)
Feb 1st, 2011, 08:30 PM

Mactoolsix must be quoting the inflated RailEurope price. Zurich to Luzern is 23 CHF in 2d class. dogs go for half fare, unless they are really small 30 cm at the shoulder) and travel in a carrier. then they travel for free.
Feb 1st, 2011, 09:15 PM

There are direct trains at the top and bottom of the hour. It takes 45-50 minutes. There is no need to buy in advance. During rush hour, seats can be very hard to find.

Check out sbb.ch for exact schedules and more information on the trains.

Definitely a worthwhile day trip, particularly in nice weather.
Feb 1st, 2011, 09:19 PM

Note that the times I quoted are forthe main stations. Trains leave the airport maybe 10 minutes before. Again, no need to buy in advance, rush hour is crowded (esp with luggage), and sbb.ch has all the exact info.