Search

Zurich to black forest area on a day trip

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21st, 2010, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zurich to black forest area on a day trip

Hi
I have booked an escourted tour of Swiss and Paris from Sep 6th and was planning to fly in on 5th to Zurich to be able to travel to the black forest area. My son in 4 and loves cuckoo clocks. We wanted to take him to the black forest area and show him how the clocks are made. Please let me know some good options of travelling from Zurich to black forest area for a day trip and the specific itenary to plan to visit some cuckoo clock shops and enjoy the scenic beauty of this area.

Thanks
Sandeep
Old Aug 21st, 2010, 11:26 AM

I think your first task is to find a place that would allow you to take a 4 year old into a place they are making clocks. There are many shops that sell clocks - but I didn't see any being made. And given the workmanship and cost of the clocks I think they would want you to hang into such a small child at all times.

You can take a train from Zurich to the Black Forest in 2.5 to 3 hours - but I can;t be more specific - not knowing where you would find the clockmakers willing to open their workshops.

You can detailed train info at bahn.de.
Old Aug 22nd, 2010, 09:18 AM
Original Poster

Hi
Thanks for your response. Would you suggest the Triberg Area to see the clocks or any other place closer to Zurich. Even if we cannot see a clock being made, we would definitely like to show him the different the big cuckoo clocks and clock houses.

Need your assistance on one more query. As we are planning to go on 5th Sep, which is a Sunday, would you know if shops would be open or should I postpone the trip to Monday?

Thanks
Sandeep
Old Aug 26th, 2010, 10:42 AM

If you fly into Zürich on that Sunday you won't have time for the Black Forest trip the same day - it's quite a long way from Zürich.

Your best bet is to contact these people
www.zuerichtourism.ch/en/page.cfm/sitezh_contact
and ask for a one-day coach tour - there are likely some companies doing daytours where you sit back and relax and watch the scenery. They know what visitors want to see and take you there, and back, this sort of day excursion by coach is very popular in Switzerland.

Note that the word in Switzerland for coach (as in large tour bus) is Car (a "car" in Switzerland is an Auto or PkW or Wagen). So if it is a Carreise it is a Coach Trip, not by personal automobile.