Notices

Zurich to Basel

Apr 16th, 2013, 06:20 PM
Original Poster

Zurich to Basel

I am flying into Zurich - and leaving for a river cruise from Basel. I have an extra day and would love to find a spot to spend the night and enjoy the scenery. Can anyone recommend a place that is relaxing - yet has some things to do? I am going in August.
Apr 16th, 2013, 06:37 PM

Well you could stay in either one - but Zurich is primarily a business city and I find Basel terminally boring (the sidewalks roll up at 6 pm). I would head for Lucerne - which is a very cute town with several interesting sights and easy access to Mt Pilatus or Mt Rigi - via lake steamer or train.
Apr 16th, 2013, 08:35 PM

Basel has some interesting museums: the Music museum in the old city jail, the Fondation Beyerler for contemporary art, a history museum in an old mansion with a great collection of watches. Its fine arts museum is weak unless it has a special exhibit.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mksfca/...57622927438333
Apr 17th, 2013, 01:26 AM

...and the big Picasso exhibition at Kunstmuseum. Otherwise: gothic cathedral, marvellous town hall, medieval city center.....

Overseas poeple usually don't like scenc small medieval towns. If you are an exception, check Rheinfelden, Laufenburg, Schaffhausen/Rheinfall, Waldshut, Solothurn ,,,, all less than 1 hr by train from Basel.
Apr 17th, 2013, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

We actually have two nights to find hotels between Zurich and Basel. I have a room in Basel - so will spend one night there before the river cruise. I am looking for something between the two cities.

Search this Thread