Zurich/Munich/Prague

Search

Zurich/Munich/Prague

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28th, 2023, 08:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zurich/Munich/Prague

We are in the beginning stages on planning a trip for early July. Ten days of travel (not including transatlantic flight days) with our 17 and 19 year old kids. It's their first time to these places but we have been to all of these place over 20 years ago. Regarding flights, I was thinking flying into Zurich and out of Prague. We will use trains and buses and not planning on renting a car. We would like a mix of cities, mountains, villages, scenic train rides and historical sights. I know it's a lot to pack into 10 days! Rough itinerary is Zurich- Alps (maybe a couple of nights in Grindelwald)- Munich with a day trip to Salzburg and then finish in Prague. I am looking at train and bus schedules and I think this is a plausible plan but again, it's been a long time since I've been to this part of Europe and I was a lot younger so I am wondering if I should keep planning this itinerary or change something. I am wondering if we should go straight to Grindelwald from the Zurich airport and then go to Zurich afterward. I assume that will make getting to Munich much easier. Any opinions and ideas welcomed!

Zurich- 2 nights
Grindelwald -2 nights
Munich - 3 nights
Prague 3 nights
Old Dec 28th, 2023, 11:07 PM

I think that there is enough in and around Munich that Salzburg is too much, maybe Neuschwanstein as an outing?

Old Dec 29th, 2023, 07:27 AM

Do they surf?

Old Dec 29th, 2023, 08:49 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I've also been to all of these places and enjoyed them all, but I have to say this is not an itinerary I would enjoy.

Have you searched the travel times from point to point???

Grindelwald is a quite a detour for just two nights, and two nights (one uninterrupted day) would barely provide a glimpse of the Alps. At a minimum, although I like Zurich more than most here, I'd skip the Zurich nights and head directly to Grindelwald on arrival.

For me, Salzburg would be too far as a day trip from Munich... at least 90 minutes each way and closer to 2 hours when you consider getting to/from the train stations. But maybe your sightseeing list for Salzburg is relatively short...?

The train ride Munich-Prague is a long one (5-6 hours minimum), and I would want more than 2 full days in Prague.

I would skip either Switzerland or Prague on this trip. But that's me.
Old Dec 29th, 2023, 09:01 AM

Zurich isn't that interesting and Grindelwald is in the wrong direction.
May be you could travel from Zurich airport to Pontresina (3 1/2 hrs journey) and enjoy the glaciers in the Bernina area instead of overrated Jungfraujoch.
You could then travel THROUGH THE ALPS to Scuol - Innsbruck (4 hrs journey), stop there for a few hrs and go on to Munich (another 2 hrs).
The itinerary from Grindelwald to Munich leaves the Alps after 1 hr and goes then during 5 3/4 hrs through the midlands
Munich - Prague is 5 1/2 hrs by direct train and 7 1/2 hrs via Salzburg.
Old Dec 29th, 2023, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

That surfing looks fun! I appreciate the feedback and ideas. I will look into the Bernina area. I have already made some modifications since I originally posted. We are planning to go directly to Grindelwald or Wengen from ZRH and spend 3 nights, then one night in Luzern before heading to Munich. We are likely to drop the day trip to Salzburg. I would also love more time to do this trip but this is our first time to this part of Europe with our kids. Before kids, we have visited these places multiple times and I have friends in Munich so really got to see a lot there. With our kids, we have travelled a lot in Europe but I'd like to expose them to some countries in Central Europe a bit, so this is a "highlights" tour for them. I am sure they'll explore more on their own in the future.