ZURICH last week - What to see?

Apr 28th, 2010, 02:31 PM
Original Poster

ZURICH last week - What to see?

I booked our reservations so after Rome and maybe Como we are flying from Zurich to Denver, August 6th.

Where should we stay the last week and what we should see?
I love being by the water and do some hikes, etc.

Any advise would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Mia
Apr 28th, 2010, 02:36 PM

You should definitely stay at the Baur au Lac Hotel.

Thin
Apr 28th, 2010, 02:56 PM

Look at Lakes Thun and Brienz in the Berner Oberland after Lake Como.
Apr 28th, 2010, 04:22 PM

Zurich is primarily a business city - although it does have a cute old town and a couple of museums. I would head to either Lucern or a smaller town in the BO so you can see the alps, lakes and adorable small villages and castles with which these areas abound.
Apr 28th, 2010, 05:20 PM

I think you may prefer Luzern---there are direct train connections from there to the Zurich airport.
Apr 28th, 2010, 08:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks,
I think I will may stay in Luzern a couple of days and Montreaux that has the promenade my daughter will enjoy.

The last day we will stay in Zurich.
Apr 28th, 2010, 11:03 PM

Staying at Luzern is a good bet. Just the charming city by Lake Lucerne mesmerises one. Not to forget the old Chapel bridge and a trip to Mt Pilatus via a cruise on the lake.
At Zurich, you can consider spend the earlier part of the day to Zurich-Heidiland, Rhine Fall. Then take the train to Lucerne and stay there.
Apr 28th, 2010, 11:58 PM

On our last day in Zurich we took a morning ferry to Rapperswil to a wander around and then the train onto the Rhine Falls. We purchased a picnic lunch from the supermarket and sat under the trees watching the falls before exploring. Make sure you leave time to buy some chocolate to take home.
Apr 29th, 2010, 02:47 AM

>You should definitely stay at the Baur au Lac Hotel.

Not everyone here has unlimited budget.

>At Zurich, you can consider spend the earlier part of the day to Zurich-Heidiland, Rhine Fall. Then take the train to Lucerne and stay there.

What is "Zürich-Heidiland"?

Anyway, I disagree. Spend at least half a day in Zürich, the city is absolutely worth it - go down into the old streets near Limmat, or above the Grossmünster. People talking about "business city" obviously never set foot anywhere outside Bahnhofstrasse.
Apr 29th, 2010, 05:49 AM

Why is Luzern more charming than Zurich? I don't get it.

There is much more to do in Zurich than Luzern.

Thin
Apr 29th, 2010, 11:47 AM
Original Poster

We are flying on a Friday, so I guess we will stay Thursday and Friday at least in Zurich. I'm looking at prices on Montreaux and Lucern and some B&B are affordable for the kids and I.

Thanks for the tip of the Hotel Baur au Lac Hotel, but that is a little much for my budget
Apr 29th, 2010, 12:42 PM

>for the kids and me.< for is a preposition.

Well, if you can't afford the Baur au Lac, try for Hotel St. Josef. It is hard to book, though, as it is one of the most popular hotels in Zurich.

Thin
May 3rd, 2010, 09:08 AM

I agree, Zurich is much more than a business city, though not nearly so tourist oriented as Lucerne etc. Several beautiful churches to explore as well as museums. The transportation system is unbelieveably efficient, so you can easilt day trip to onher areas. There are open air concerts in the summer and a very lively pedestrian area where one can eat Rosti, drink Blue Burgandy and people watch as well and listen to good music. A fun experience is the Blinde Kuh (Blind Cow) Restaurant, serviced by totally blind folks where you will eat a meal in total darkness. There are also several places where you can enjoy incredible chocolate to your heart's content. Lest I forget, there's a beautiful peaceful park on a hill overlooking the city for a pleasant relaxing afternoon, tis called the Lindenhof, or something similar. So no underrating Zurick on this forum; and no, I'm not a native.