Zurich Airport Train Station

Old Sep 22nd, 2015, 12:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zurich Airport Train Station

Hi

A last minute bit of reassurance needed here.

We are flying in to Zurich and taking a train to Interlaken.

I researched ALL the various passes and couldn't come up with a clear idea of what I might want to purchase. We only have three days (2 and a half really) in Grindelwald.

I derived, perhaps mistakenly, that I can approach a desk at Zurich Airport to discuss the ticket we need and any pass that may facilitate rail or gondola journeys while in Grindelwald.

Where, please, can I do this at the airport?
Old Sep 22nd, 2015, 01:28 PM

I would suggest you go to the Travel Centre there, on the floor above the platforms.
Old Sep 22nd, 2015, 02:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When you exit the Arrivals Hall you will walk across the road, walk thru the glass doors, and take the escalator down the the train ticket booths.

You can purchase whatever you need here.

Another escaltor takes you down to
the trains.

Have fun on the Moo-Cow Train inside Zürich Flughafen.

Thin
Old Sep 22nd, 2015, 02:28 PM

So, it is one flight down from the airport arrival hall. Marked SBB, and usually has a little line of travelers with 3-5 counters behind glass.
Old Sep 22nd, 2015, 02:32 PM

PS

If you are travelling to Interlaken Ost, you will either have to travel thru to a connection at Bern or Luzern.

I am almost positive the connection @ Luzern to Interlaken Ost is cheaper and more scenic.

I like to pass by Lungern best.

Thin
Old Sep 22nd, 2015, 02:37 PM

I researched ALL the various passes and couldn't come up with a clear idea of what I might want to purchase. We only have three days (2 and a half really) in Grindelwald.>

I can't see any pass being cost-effective for that short of time unless you are riding gondolas and mountain trains all day - walking is free and superb in the area. www.swisstravelsystem.com has lots of advice on passes and Swiss trains as do www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com - with the Jungfrau Region in specific.

But I would just buy a ticket to Interlaken-Ost and Grindelwald - all at once in Zurich airport and then just pay as you go - for one thing most passes if not all do not give free passage on expensive trains like the one to the Jungfraujoch but at most a 25-50% discount I believe.

I'm a huge advocate of passes if warranted but in your case I'd forget about them even if the Travel Centre suggested one perhaps.
Old Sep 22nd, 2015, 02:47 PM

No one can aid you in selecting a pass or Half-Fare Card unless you give your itinerary here.

Thin
Old Sep 22nd, 2015, 06:41 PM
Original Poster

Oh, thank you all.

I really did do a lot of research on passes and followed, if not ALL, then several, if not most, links here and on other forums.

There really isn't much of an itinerary because of my health problems. Some of the tings we would like to do, if we can, are go to Wengen and maybe Murren, return to Interlaken or another point to take a ride on Lake Thun, and maybe a lift or gondola for a little walk.

Walking is certainly free, but I'm unable to do much walking lately. Looking, seeing, a little riding will make me pretty happy at this point.

Thank you all for your directions for finding and riding the train. Thin, I'll ask the ticket seller which route is most scenic.

This is probably no one's dream itinerary but I'm happy to just see a bit of Switzerland while I can. I sometimes feel on the verge of stopping traveling but I'm not ready to make that call yet.

Lupus sucks.
Old Sep 22nd, 2015, 07:38 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
Off topic but if you are going to be in Switzerland soon, you may be able to attend a "moo-ving of the cows"!

I really enjoyed the alpafhart in Krems. The cows, goats and little kids (both goats and children) are soooo cute all decked out!

http://www.myswitzerland.com/en-us/s...2312&iPadCover
Old Sep 22nd, 2015, 07:41 PM

I think it would be definitely worth it if you and your spouse bought Half-Fare Cards.

120 CHF

I like to ride the boat on Lake Brienz and stop off at Hotel Geissbach/Falls.

I have only been to Spiez and Thun by train from Interlaken.

You would probably love a trip up to the Schynige Platte by train. Great views and a nice cafe at the top looking right out at the mountaintops.

The train from Luzern to Interlaken Ost goes thru the Brünig Pass.

Lungern is STUNNING!

Thin
Old Sep 22nd, 2015, 07:46 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
Sorry, meant Kerns, not Krems.
Old Sep 23rd, 2015, 05:59 AM
Original Poster

joannyc and Thin, these posts are copied in to my notes.

Thank you.