Train station @ Zurich airport

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 01:12 PM
mouse

Train station @ Zurich airport

First, I'd like to thank Fodors for this wonderful forum and then all of you fodorites who have provided so much useful information and a bounty of tantalizing leads for so many of my trips.

On a post that I can no longer locate there are references to the train station at the Zurich airport (and the groceries!). What I'd like to know is if this is a full service train station or just a rail link into Zurich and then hopefully its station? We will be arriving early morning for a first time in Switzerland and will be going to either Salzburg or Neuchatel. Any further info will be most welcome!

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 01:29 PM
Daniel

I have no idea, but try www.zuerich-flughafen.ch

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 01:35 PM
Bob Brown

The station at the Zürich airport is more than a link to the main station
(Der Hautbahnhof) in Zürich city center.
Whether or not you must change trains elsewhere depends upon where you want to go.
For example, I boarded a train there that took me all the way to Interlaken Ost without a change. The train from Zürich to Munich goes through there too.
The train to Salzburg is an Austrian train and you must take it at the main station.

There are trains to Neuchâtel directly from Zürich airport that do not require a change. For example a train leaves at for Neuchâtel at 8:43, 9:43 and 10:43. However, as something of an oddity, note that just because there are no changes does NOT mean faster travel time!! The 10:13 train requires a change in Bern, but gets there 7 minutes quicker. (Fewer stops.)

The airport is set up so that the train station is downstairs, in what I would call a deep basement. There is a shopping level up above it, with several shops, including a small (by our standards) grocery store. It sells mostly food, no pharmacy, no automotive supplies, no shampoo, etc.

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 01:59 PM
s

Hello mouse!

As Bob Brown has said, the train station at the Zurich airport is more than a mere link to the main station. Many of the trains from the airport go directly to your destination.

It's easy to check your connections at www.rail.ch. Click on "Travel/Timetable" to get to the schedules page, then enter "Zurich airport" as your point of origin. The site will give you all the info you need -- connections, track no, etc.

Have a great trip!

s

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 10:49 PM
Ursula

mouse: The Zurich Airport site is at:
http://www.uniqueairport.com/

You will find all necessary info under "passengers/visitors".
The Zurich Airport is almost a small town in itself. You will find literally everything you might need.

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 07:59 PM
mouse

Thank you all very much! Your information and references are a great help in getting my plans together. We've decided to head to Neuchatel first for a few days at the Expo 2000 now that I know how easy it is from the airport! Any ideas on where we might spend one night between there and Salzburg, travelling by train? We'll be in Zurich later in the trip and would like to get a little more distance behind us than that. Really just a wayside stop but won't hurt if its pretty too!

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 03:51 AM
Dick

That "small" (and it is small, space-wise) grocery store below the Zurich airport has a better selection of breads, cheeses, wines, sausages and similar products than you will find in any grocery store and many so-called "gourmet" stores here in the Boston area. I always stop there to stock up on few treats prior to boarding the train.