Zurich airport to station and beyond and Half Fare card

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13th, 2016, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, my family and I will be arriving at Zurich airport at 10 pm on December 8. It would be later - perhaps closer to 11 pm - after checking through customs, passport control, luggage collection etc. I have only now found out that the Airbnb where we will be staying is in the red light district. The apartment has a strict cancellation fee, so we can't cancell. Of course the owner doesn't state that Langstrasse is red light district. Is this area safe?
We will be getting a train from the airport to HB. What to we do then? Walk, or take a bus of tram to the apartment? It will be cold, late and dark. I just want to make sure we get to the apartment safely as soon as possible.
Then regarding the trains: we are thinking of getting the Half Fare and Family Cards. Should we buy this online before I book and buy our tickets online for trips between cities? I want to do this while there are still some cheap seats available
Old Nov 13th, 2016, 09:01 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I am going to be VERY blunt about this: get yourselves INTO a taxi at the train station in Zurich since it will be, <B>as you have said</B> "cold, late, and dark."

However, be aware that Langstrasse is NOT that long of a street and it might be, for some, within walking distance of the station <B>depending on the actual street address number).

You can easily <B>input</B> that address at googlemaps.com and see for yourself what the travel challenge might be.

As to why the owner "doesn't state that Langstrasse is [in the] red light district:" you already know the answer to that one.
Old Nov 13th, 2016, 09:03 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry for the unnecessary bolding. You're stuck with this thing; do yourselves a travel favor and make certain that "owner" has been told when you arrive, and do that in writing.
Old Nov 13th, 2016, 11:01 AM

Have no worries about that street- you will be totally safe anywhere in Switzerland IMO.

I'd get a taxi right from the airport to your hotel.

What is your whole travel itinerary by public transportation - a Swiss Pass with 1/2 off Half-Fare Card sold with flexipasses or a straight up Half-Fare Card may be best.

Passes cover boats, city trams and buses, postal buses and some cable cars- ones that are not covered are usually 50% off.

Easy to buy the Half-Fare Card on arrival and avoid any shipping charges (if any) at any train station- the airport train station may be too late but get it the next day at the main Zurich Airport station.

buy our tickets online for trips between cities? I want to do this while there are still some cheap seats available>

If you see a discount - many times there are none when you want to travel yes book it (and then the Half-Fare Card too) but the Swiss Pass which lets you hop on any train,bus, tram, boat anytime virtually may be a better deal that restricted discounted tickets.

For lots of good info on Swiss trains check www.swisstravelsystem.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com.

Swiss Passes may be discounted in the off season - check sources above.
Old Nov 13th, 2016, 12:29 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfLM4JuEBB4

A journey down Langstrasse!
Old Nov 13th, 2016, 05:31 PM

Has the owner agreed to meet with you to let you into the apartment at that time? Usually with apartments you need to meet the owner in the afternoon to be let in and shown around.

Otherwise how will you be able to get in - it's not a hotel with front desk.
Old Nov 13th, 2016, 07:04 PM

HI, I have another suggestion for you, be sure that you have a copy of the reservation to take with you WITH a confirmation number on it. Let the hotel know you are arriving late, so you don't run into any problems with no room when you get there, Take taxi to hotel door. Sue
Old Nov 13th, 2016, 07:06 PM

Sorry just read that it is an apartment, I agree wtih NYtraveler to get some committment from landlord to meet you there regardless of time. Sue
Old Nov 14th, 2016, 04:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everybody! The address that we'll be staying at is in the early 80's. So middle of the street I guess.
Yes before I booked I asked the owner about the late checkin and she said it would be fine. She called the area "lively".
Old Nov 14th, 2016, 04:25 AM
Original Poster

According to Google maps it is a 1.4km walk of about 18 minutes from the station. First Europaallee, then Kanongasse, followed by Brauergasse - and then a short walk down Langstrasse.

If the trains are safe we would like to take the train and then a bus or tram. It might rain and we'll be tired and cold - after a long flight from the south of Africa where it will be very hot. How would we know which bus to take and do we buy the tickets on the bus?
Old Nov 14th, 2016, 09:53 AM

Go to www.zvv.ch (the website for Zürich transportation network). Plug in "Zürich Flughafen" for departure point and the address "Zürich, Langstrasse 81" for arrival point. It will come up with options.

For example tonight, starting 11 pm, I got several options that involve one train and two buses plus a 3 minutes walk from Helvetiaplatz stop. Nothing to fear! I suggest you buy the ticket from a ticket machine.
Old Nov 14th, 2016, 09:56 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much Ingo! Much appreciated.
Old Nov 14th, 2016, 11:24 AM

If the trains are safe we would like to take the train and then a bus or tram>

trains are very very safe- I'd still take a cab at that late hour but have no fear about the short walk if going by bus/tram.