Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Swiss Card, Swiss Pass confusion...Help?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 08:18 PM
Diane

I am researching Swiss train passes and am getting very confused. I have looked at the Eurrail Swiss saver flex pass, the Swiss flex pass through SBB travel and Rick Steves mentions a Swiss Card purchased in the US (which I can't find a web site for).<BR>We (my husband and I) are in Switzerland for 4 days and will always be traveling together. Arriving in Zurich and heading straight to Murren- staying for 3 nights. From there we will take the train to Colmar, France. <BR>While in Murren we will probably take the train to Mannlichen and/or Kleine Scheidegg to hike and if the weather is clear head up to Schilthorn. We plan to do other hikes which may or may not involve train,cable etc.<BR>Which pass is our best bet- or point to point?<BR>Does the Swiss flex pass include the mountain transport from Mureen or just a discount?<BR>Any info about the Swiss card?<BR>I know alot has been posted on this-but I'm still confused.

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 09:22 PM
ca

Will you be going to Expo 2002?

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 10:32 PM
chris

I did just a quick calculation and I'm sure people will correct any mistakes but according to your itinerary I find that the One-Month Half-Fare card for 99sfr. is probably the best best for your plans. You can buy this at any train station upon presentation of your passport. From what I understand of the Swiss Card it is only valid for a roundtrip from/to your first destination (the airport). The half-fare card entitles you to 1/2 cost for all your journeys.<BR> 1/2 fare<BR>ZRH-Lauterbrunnen 34.80<BR>Lauterbrunnen-Muerren 4.90<BR>Lauterbrunen-Basel (Colmar)31.30<BR>Muerren-Schiltorn RT apprx. 40<BR>Muerren-Kleine Scheidegg RT 33.10<BR>Half fare card-99<BR>Total approx 250sfr.<BR><BR>So you see the Swiss Pass would not be a bargain for you as it would cost much more for all these trips + the cost of the pass. You only get a 25% reduction on the mountain railways.<BR><BR>The Berner Oberland Pass also would not be worth it for you on such a short visit. Enjoy your trip. I really hope the weather cooperates for you.<BR>

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 08:20 AM
Bob Brown

Several weeks ago I wrote two analyses of the various Swiss passes.<BR>They have dropped out of sight on this board, but I also posted them on Frommers. Look under Switzerland.<BR>The Swiss federal rail web site also has a list of prices.http://www.sbb.ch:80/pv/sts_e.htm<BR>The description is in English.<BR>For some journeys, the Swiss Pass is a good deal because if two people are traveling together, each person can buy a pass at 15% discount.<BR>The Swiss Card can be purchased at the Zurich airport station. I just asked and learned that it cannot be purchase in Bern. The card can be acquired via email with a credit card number.<BR><BR>Incidentally Mureen is a product for the eyes. The town's name is M&uuml;rren.<BR><BR>

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 02:24 PM
Diane

Thank you for the assistance and the spelling corrections! (My fingers aren't always coordinated- especially late at night) Part of my confusion was that I was not sure which card provided discount for the mountain transport. outside of Murren. Apparently the Half-Fare card does give half fare between Murren and other towns in the area such as Klein Scheidegg. Is this correct?<BR><BR>I did check the www.rail.ch web site for pricing which was very helpful. However it did not include prices for stops beyond Lauterbrunnen. I found these at the www.jungfrau site. That gave me a good idea of total price for transportation. However I still had the delimma concerning discounts.

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 03:40 PM
trekercat

Diane: It looks to me like the Half-Fare card for 99 Sf is what you want. I still have my map showing the routes/prices that it is good on stored away somewhere so I will try to find it and post back later tonight. Some of the mt. cablecars and lifts are only 25% off, almost all the reg. trains are 50% off. Also, the diff between the Swiss Card and the Half-Fare is that the SC includes one free RT from your arrival point in CH and back. It doesn't sound like you will need that? I'll post back with info from map later tonight, have to go out and run now!

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 06:15 PM
trekercat

Hi again Diane: Dug through my old vacation junk and found the map/chart that came with my Half-Fare card and you should get 1/2 off on all the routes you are interested in, inc. the mt. trams/lifts. I would say that is the card for you.

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 07:33 PM
diane

Thank you so much for the research! Your comments are most helpful and reassuring. This site is great. I am getting so excited about our trip just reading about everyones comments! 2 more weeks of planning!

Old Jun 23rd, 2002, 04:48 PM
rita

Additional question: If you have a Europass, which includes Switzerland, does it cover the trips from Bern to Junghfrau and Schilthorn, or do you have to buy separate tickets? Thanks