Reload this Page >

Eating in Athens

Search

Eating in Athens

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 06:12 AM
XXX

Eating in Athens

What are the good "mom and pop" places to eat in Athens. Not the commercial touritsty places....????

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 11:32 AM
Kat

I know a few places, but I hesitate to give them away since they may be overrun with tourists and become a "tourist" place once word gets around. The best thing to do is just walk around and see where Greeks eat, then sit down. <BR><BR>A word of caution though. Those places most likely won't speak English so be prepared to communicate in Greek or "point and pray."<BR><BR>Never choose a place with someone outside convincing you to sit down...it's usually mediocre.<BR><BR>

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 01:10 PM
Bob

Just go to the PLATKA and have a good time. You will find a good meal there.

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 06:15 PM
Diane

One of my favorite memories was from my first night on my first trip to Greece.<BR><BR>I stayed at the Acropolis View Hotel (this was in 1989). Nearby was a restaurant that looked like it had at one time been someone's home. I went in around 6 pm for dinner. Needless to say, I was early by Greek standards and was the only customer. The proprietor did not speak English and I could not read the menu. So she motioned for me to follow her. We went into the kitchen and she lifted lids off the pots and opened the oven to show me what was cooking there. I pointed to let her know what appealed to me. I was alone and she made me feel comfortable and welcome.<BR><BR>This was the Greek experience I had hoped to find and it made my day. Hope you find something as enjoyable on your trip.

Old Jun 23rd, 2002, 07:03 AM
lisa

Just back from Athens - lovely restaurants everywhere - <BR>try Xynos - a small taverna in the plaka very friednly,unhurried, outdoors - hard to find; also try Strofi - lovely resaurant on top of a small house overlooking the acropolis - great food, low prices, lots of Greeks and tourists - wonderful<BR>enjoy<BR>

Old Jun 23rd, 2002, 07:53 AM
Grasshopper

I thought there were many great places in the Plaka. Don't pick too soon; delve into the inner parts of the Plaka. <BR><BR>And NEVER EVER let your taxi driver take you to the "place where his mother and sister eat". The taxi cab and the taverna scam will cost you plenty!

Old Jun 23rd, 2002, 10:30 AM
April

Not exactly mom and pop, but for a quick lunch, or really good cake and a cup of coffee ("Nescafe" seemed to be closest to what we're used to at home) in a clean environment, we liked the Neon cafes. They can be found in the Plaka.

Old Jun 23rd, 2002, 11:05 AM
XXX

April<BR>did you find anywhere where you had a nice meal though?

Old Jun 23rd, 2002, 01:08 PM
kim

Hi,<BR><BR>One place that we had two great meals with a spectacular view at that, is called Dionyses(sp?). <BR><BR>Really good food, on top of a hill that overlooks the city.<BR><BR>Unfortunately, I don't have the address or phone number. However, I know that this place gets a lot of requests for catered events in Athens, as you see their truck around the city quite often.<BR><BR>If you ask the concerige at your hotel to make a reservation at Dionyses, they will be able to get the address for you. Then take a taxi there.<BR><BR>We liked it so much, we ate there twice. Make sure to go as it is getting dark, so you can enjoy the sunset.<BR><BR>Have fun!

Old Jun 23rd, 2002, 05:08 PM
April

Yes, XXX, and actually my favourite one was in a restaurant on the Acropolis hillside in the Plaka - one of the many tourist places with dancing. I didn't write down the name but it was one of the first you come to facing the hill. Also, had the best Greek salad on remote Folegandros. There was an interesting tuna pizza in Oia, Santorini. I may have liked the food better in Greece if I was a seafood lover.