Zurich

Old Aug 31st, 2007, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zurich

Hi I'm a newby to this forum.....so bear with me and forgive my spelling please. We're taking a small detour on our way to Rome by way of Zurich. How far is the airport from the city and with only a day or two, what are some hi-lites to see/do in Zurich? Oh, almost forgot. Is there a train system from Zurich to Rome? If so, how long of a ride is it? tHx....edc

Old Aug 31st, 2007, 08:32 AM

You should buy a guidebook for Zurich to get you started. Here's a link to some basic info that you can find by clicking on "desinations" above.
http://www.fodors.com/miniguides/mgr...ion=zurich@169

The ride from the airport to the old city is about a half hour. Yes, you can ride the train from Rome to Zurich..have you looked at a map to see how far it is? It takes 9+ hours and you usually change trains in Milan. I've taken this from Bologna to Zurich and part of the ride is really pretty.
Old Aug 31st, 2007, 08:34 AM

There are trains all over Europe, and certainly for two of the main cities. If a city has a train station, you can get from one to another somehow. Trains are national and rail networks are across a country and connect to other countries, there isn't like one line that goes between cities in different countries.

Zurich airport isn't that far from the city center. There is even a train station right at the airport where you can get a train for the short ride into the city.

It's not a bad ride between those two cities -- about 9 hrs, change at Milan.
Old Aug 31st, 2007, 08:44 AM

Zurich airport into the main station takes 10 to 12 minutes; trains depart every few minutes. Be sure to buy a ticket before you get on the train; this is a "self-control" train and you cannot buy tickets from the conductor. There is a heavy fine if you are caught without one.

In addition to the 9+ hour train to Rome via Milan, there is a night train that departs Zurich at 9:54 and arrives in Rome at 9:12 the following morning.

You can see the Swiss rail schedules at www.rail.ch
Old Aug 31st, 2007, 08:50 AM

At least I know my answer was correct!
Old Sep 5th, 2007, 01:27 PM

We went from Zurich to Rome and had looked into trains vs. flying...we ended up flying. We flew Air Berlin and the tickets were about $60 per person compared to over $200 per person for the train. Also, the flight is short compared to losing a day on the train. I would suggest flying!

In Zurich I was staying with some locals/friends. So that we could see a lot of the sites, we rented a car at the airport. If you have a chance visit Lucerne and Engelberg (we did both in one day trip). Lucerne is postcard-pretty, and Engelberg is in the mountains. You can take a tram up the mountain for great views, can also hike ice caves if you get there early enough. Or, do what we did and sit outdoors at a restaurant and enjoy the local beer and cuisine