Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Long layover at Zurich Airport - what can we do?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 01:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We arrive in Zurich at 11AM and our next flight is at 3:30PM, is that enough time to see any part of the area? Any ideas for maybe a long walk in the countryside? Thanks very much.
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 03:10 PM

That's EXACTLY enough time to take the train into the city, walk about a block to Brasserie Lipp, and have a great lunch. (They paid for the use of the Paris icon's name, but I don't think there's any other business connection.)<BR><BR>Just an idea...
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 03:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, I have read that the trains stop at the airport, we could just jump on one and get into Zurich? Sounds good.
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 03:20 PM

Zuerich Kloten airport is in an urban area.<BR>unless you know the area well, I am not sure what to suggest.<BR>Take a train downtown and look around is the best idea I have. You minimize greatly the chances of ranging too far afield to get back in time, or getting lost and missing a connection.<BR><BR>The city center is about a 12 minute train ride and trains are very frequent.<BR><BR>I suppose you could take the train up to Schloss Laufen am Rheinfall and have a look about at the falls, but that trip takes about an hour and not all trains to Schaffhausen stop there. <BR><BR>Maybe someone else has an idea.<BR>
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 03:49 PM

Yes, Cruelbee, the subway at the airport goes right to the Hauptbahnhof (main train station) in town. (I'm a big Zurich fan so I'd definitely encourage you to spend those couple of hours in town.)
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 03:53 PM
Original Poster

Do you think we will get back in time, I am not sure how early we have to be back for a flight into Rome, maybe one hour early? If we didnt have time for lunch, maybe just a coffee and look around the train station in Zurich, how does that sound?
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 04:25 PM

I would plan on being back at the airport at least an hour before your flight, to allow plenty of time to get through security and to your gate.<BR><BR>There are lots of dining choices within the train station complex (the one with dozens of rosti preparations is terrific, for one) and only steps away. (If you see &quot;Veal Zuriche&quot; on any posted menu, go for it!)<BR><BR>Assuming you're in Zurich proper by 11:30 or so, you'd probably have time for a leisurely lunch and a stroll about the &quot;old&quot; section of the city (get a map ahead of time), and perhaps even a walk down and back Bahnhofstrasse. (Do your shopping in the old section.)<BR><BR>If it were me, I'd be at the Zurich train station no later than 2PM to head back to the airport.
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 04:30 PM
SRS

Cruelbee, Recently we missed our connection in Zurich (to Venice) and found ourselves with about the same amount of time as you (maybe an hour and a half longer). We were totally unprepared (i.e., no maps, knowledge of language, etc.), but after asking around, we decided to take the train into the city and just walk around. When we purchased the train ticket, the woman at the counter gave us a handy map with many of the highlights of Zurich listed. We ended up having an absolutely delightful afternoon strolling the streets and checking things out. As far as how soon you need to be back to the airport, they told us one hour (this was last month). However, we thought that sounded too tight, so we got back with two hours to spare wishing we would have taken the advice we were given as there were short lines and an hour would have been plenty. Anyway, although we were late getting into Venice, we were really happy that it turned out that way as we got to have a great afternoon in Zurich. Have fun!!!
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 08:00 PM

I, too, think it would be very possible to head into town by train and spend a couple of ours lunching or whatever. Do remember to bring some CHfrancs with you or pick some up at the airport when you arrive. If anyone would take Euros the exchange rate would be terrible.
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 08:01 PM

&quot;hours&quot;
Old Apr 23rd, 2003, 04:18 AM
jmw

djkbooks, You're so right about Veal Zurich. But which 'train complex restaurant w/rosti preps' are you describing? I'm a great rosti fan and would like to check it out. J.

Old Apr 23rd, 2003, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

Me too, it sounds really good. Is that the train station under the airport or the one in town? thanks again.