ZTL, Parking in Orvieto

Search

ZTL, Parking in Orvieto

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8th, 2015, 11:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ZTL, Parking in Orvieto

I'm having difficulty trying to figure out the ZTL zones of Orvieto. The Comune of Orvieto offers this ZTL map: http://www.comune.orvieto.tr.it/ZTL/...re_zeta_v1.pdf, but even with the English translation, I can't tell if the parking lots on the outer edges of the upper city are freely accessible by car. I would like to park in Piazza Marconi, which is behind the Duomo.

I think I understand the Sector colors, which seem to refer to specific streets with gates, indicated on the map. But I don't know what role the "Zone" colors play. Also, the "P" icons come in green, blue, and white. Does anyone know what the different "P" colors mean? There doesn't seem to be any explanation on the PDF.

I'm trying to figure out if I can enter the city through Piazza Cahen, drive up via Postierla to via Nebbia, and park at Piazza Marconi. Does anyone know if I can do this without entering a ZTL? Thank you.
Old Jul 8th, 2015, 12:25 PM

Hello wesleymarsh, not sure how much this will help you but here is another link to take a look at

http://www.orvietoviva.com/en/orvieto-transportation/

scroll down the page and maybe it'll clear things up for you.

We were there last October and while I can't comment on driving in the city, we parked in a lot below the city, took the funicular up and there were small buses that will transport you to the city center (Duomo) however the walk up isn't strenuous and it's a nice walk.

Orvieto is lovely, also lots of shops and nice cafes. Enjoy Orvieto.
Old Jul 8th, 2015, 01:40 PM

Yes if I recollect right the train station area- by the funicular up to the old town has such parking in its vicinity and is easy to get too - not having to climb up to the congested city.
Old Jul 8th, 2015, 03:52 PM
Original Poster

I've stayed in Orvieto before, pre ZTL. I parked on via Nebbia. My question is specific to the public parking lots at the top. I know what I need to know about the lots at the base. Thank you.
Old Jul 8th, 2015, 09:34 PM

I can't get your link to work. Does this one make it clearer?

http://www.accessibilitacentristoric...a/orvieto.html

In pay parking lots, you need to park in the blue lined spaces in piazza Marconi. I'm just guessing, but possibly the icon colors or your map differentiate paid public parking vs. resident or commercial vs. ? As far as I know, Piazza Marconi has spaces for visitors (not just resident only).

I gather this is a day trip, because otherwise you could ask your hotel or landlord. You might also try the Orvieto forum on Tripadvisor in case a resident or two posts there.
Old Jul 9th, 2015, 01:21 AM

Looking at the map, one would think that all the parking lots on the borders of the ZTL would be accessible without passing through the ZTL. So your idea of entering at Piazza Cahen and driving up via Postierla to via Nebbia, and parking at Piazza Marconi sounds logical. However, the detailed description of the ZTL specifically includes Piazza Cahen and Via Postierla in the "delimitazioni" of the ZTL. Delimitazione means boundary, but theyìve translated it as "includes". The word "delimitazione" should mean that you can drive in these places as long as you don't cross them; the description of the placement of the entrance gates (for example, one on Corso Cavour where it meets Piazza Cahen) reinforces my interpretation, but I wouldn't want to swear on my life.

The Duomo seems to be in the "yellow sector" ZTL, which isn't active all day. You can enter that zone from 6 to 10:30 AM and from 2 to 4:30 PM.

I agree with Sandra that the parking lot colors probably indicate whether the spots are free or paid, or a mix of both. The color blue is associated with paid spots; in other words if you see a parking space indicated by blue lines, you have to pay to park there, by buying a ticket in a machine in the vicinity. White lines indicate free spots, unless the places are numbered, or there's a sign restricting parking to clients of a shop, in which case they're reserved.
Old Jul 9th, 2015, 05:20 AM
Original Poster

This is the page with the download link for the official ZTL map: http://www.comune.orvieto.tr.it//I/3B024B56.htm

I've looked at every map option available on the internet, and the Comune di Orvieto map seems easiest to understand, even though I can't figure it all out.

I've already done a ton of research. I have experience driving and parking in Italy. The three "P" colors may be explained as free, pay, and hotel, but I suspect all three spaces are available at most outdoor lots, and there are only two lots on the maps that show more than one color P. So that's still a mystery.

Most important to me is the driving on the boundary question, the specific route I mentioned above. I already know that Piazza Marconi offers all three parking options. You can see the spaces in Street View.

I don't need to enter other city streets. I would probably arrive around 7 am. And I could easily arrange to leave after 2 pm. My times are flexible. I'll be based in Civita.

The Trip Advisor Orvieto forum has nothing, going back to 2009, which is when I gave up. There doesn't seem to be a "local" who knows anything about the upper parking lots. I should probably post there anyway.

I may try to call the tourist office in Orvieto, but given my experience with that in France, I don't hold much hope for accurate info. If I could speak Italian, I'd call the local police station. I'm sure they know.

Thanks for the effort in trying to help. They clearly want everyone to park "downstairs."
Old Jul 9th, 2015, 05:55 AM

or you could e-mail the urban police, using google translate to frame a question. I would ask them if you need a temporary permit to drive your proposed rooute, and specify whcih day you will be there.

http://www.comune.orvieto.tr.it/I/39D1068E.htm
Old Jul 9th, 2015, 06:41 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Your access is on the road on the outside edge to Piazza Marconi. You are not allowed on Corso Cavour (restricted to authorized vehicles). When you get to the top (Piazza Cahen), you can either go to the left for parking at Piazza Marconi or to the right for parking at Piazza Marzo.

Since Marconi is a prime location, it may be full. There is also parking at Piazza Cahen and the mini buses depart from there. There are two mini buses (A & B). One runs from Cahen to the Duomo and the other runs the opposite side from Cahen to Piazza Ranieri area.

What isn't showing in this (probably because it's not in the ZTL) is the big parking lot (600+ spots) on the backside of Orvieto with an escalator up which comes out at Piazza Ranieri. AFAIK, it's a paid lot. I've parked there before, but had a pass from the hotel to do so.
Old Jul 9th, 2015, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

On Strada della Stazione, as you approach Piazza Cahen, this is the first sign that greets drivers:
http://tinypic.com/r/w9zn93/8

It's not a great picture, and it's the only capture available on Google's Street View. You can see three directional arrows. The first right is Via Roma, which is the street that accesses the northern side of town.

The second right is Corso Cavour, which runs through the historical center, and according to the official ZTL map, is a designated ZTL street with camera. The ZTL icon identifies the second arrow.

The third arrow leads to Via Postierla.

Judging by this sign, it looks to me that the two outer roads on the northern (via Roma) and the southern (via Postierla) side of Orvieto allow drivers to access the car parking lots available on these streets without passing into a ZTL zone.

Is my brain working here?

The photo is dated 2011. Is there any reason to assume anything has changed since 2011? I need to write the police to confirm.
Old Jul 9th, 2015, 10:04 AM

Someone else gave you this link, but in English. In the Italian version, it says that you can reach the piazza Marconi parking lot by driving on via Posteria

http://www.orvietoviva.com/mappa-orvieto/

presuming they speak English, you can contact them and ask

E-mail: [email protected]
Old Jul 10th, 2015, 03:34 PM

>>>The second right is Corso Cavour, which runs through the historical center, and according to the official ZTL map, is a designated ZTL street with camera. The ZTL icon identifies the second arrow.<<<

The sign shows the ZTL which is designated by a red circle/white center. That's what you have to watch for (some will have hours listed, some don't).

http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/road_s..._signs_cr2.htm

http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/drivin...s_speeding.htm

http://www.accessitaly.com/post/Driv...-uniforms.aspx

>>>>Judging by this sign, it looks to me that the two outer roads on the northern (via Roma) and the southern (via Postierla) side of Orvieto allow drivers to access the car parking lots available on these streets without passing into a ZTL zone.

Is my brain working here?<<<

Yes, Via Postierla to Piazza Marconi. There is also a small lot a bit further near the entrance for Orvieto Underground, but I imagine the spots are more restrictive (perhaps handicapped). If you turn right onto Via Roma instead, I think you can go all they way to the parking at Piazza del Popolo which would be a short walk to the Duomo (couple of minutes). Some of the other parking on that side would require an uphill trek.

I was able to access the Comune Orvieto ZTL brochure the other day, but no longer can. It had the ZTL entrances numbered 1-5.
Old Jul 10th, 2015, 04:59 PM
Original Poster

The commune website has been down all day today. I'm still waiting to hear from the local police.

I did some further investigation on the road signs that appear just before you bear right on Via Postierla. The Google images are dated 2011, so there's no telling how accurate they are. Plus the images are bad. I wish Google had cleaner ability to capture road signs. I just discovered the software in the car's camera is known for confusing signage with license plate info, and therefore stamps with an automatic blur-out. Faulty technology.

http://tinypic.com/r/302qotc/8
There is a red circle sign that stands alone, but it's oddly situated, almost facing the curb instead of on-coming traffic. It could be captured at an awkward camera angle. Underneath the empty red circle, the sign reads, "eccetto accesso garages." I have no idea who this sign is for, and I don't know what it means to Italians. Normally, you see the word parcheggi to mean "garages."

http://tinypic.com/r/2v3g9sn/8
There are 4 more red circles on signs after that sign. In order, they are: no buses, no trucks, 30 km, and in the distance, no passing cars. That's it for road signs.

If I don't hear from the local police, I'll probably try a hotel and see if I can speak to someone local. Thank you.
Old Jul 10th, 2015, 05:28 PM

I wouldn't rely on Google pictures of signs that existed 4 years ago -- and apparently you are not about to either!

Garage is also an Italian word, used mainly to indicate a multiple-vehicle parking structure. A parcheggi means an area for parking, most of which are outdoors. What you saw on the signs means you can travel through the ZTL to access parking structures.
Old Jul 10th, 2015, 07:21 PM

Asking in the nicest possible way, if the possible ZTL situation is driving you bonkers, why not park at the bottom of the hill town and take the funiculare up? Just curious.
Old Jul 10th, 2015, 07:42 PM

I agree with socaltraveler. You are overthinking this. All you have to do is pay attention to the red circles and don't enter if you see one. It's also simple to drive around to the backside of Orvieto below and go up to the huge parking lot there and take the escalator. That way you don't see a ZTL at all.

I wouldn't pay any attention to signs on Google form 2011. Things change and many cities/towns have added more electronics at the entrance to ZTLs and made it clearer about access.
Old Jul 10th, 2015, 08:07 PM
Original Poster

The ZTL situation is not driving me bonkers, and nor am I over-thinking anything.
Old Jul 10th, 2015, 08:13 PM

Guess we read it differently, which is why I ask with all due respect. You are seeking help on more than one travel board, and yes, it does seem like an undue amount of thinking. Is there some reason you do not want to consider the option of not driving in Orvieto itself? If you like the challenge, that's fine, your business, just curious I guess.
Old Jul 11th, 2015, 12:09 AM

yay for wesleymarsh

Those ZTL fines are nothing to sneeze at, plus: I'm glad when somebody coming to Italy who pays close attention to the traffic laws BEFORE they get here! (It's annoying and even dangerous to drive behind those who don't.)
Old Jul 11th, 2015, 10:47 AM
Original Poster

The comune site is back up and working, and I was able to download and save the official ZTL map to my Desktop and study it more deeply. It looks like yellow Sector 1 in peach Zone 1 is Corso Cavour (east of Via Nebbia), exclusively, and the PDF clearly states: "ACCESS ALLOWED TO ALL VEHICLES" during "NON OPERATING TIMES: 06:00-10:30 and 14:00-16:30."

On top of that, for purple Sector 4 in lime-green Zone 2, it says, "NON OPERATING TIMES: MONDAY TO FRIDAY, ACCESS ALLOWED TO ALL VEHICLES," which means that parking west (in front) of the Duomo is possible during the week.

Is seems to me, the only sectors that are off-limits 24-hours a day are red 2 and 3, and dark green 5. Even the Google car-cam did not get permission to drive on these streets. But 2, 3, and 5 are very small, limited street sections in the very center, and they are easy to avoid with some decent planning effort.

If you can trust the official ZTL map English translation, I'm beginning to feel that a lot of tourists make their Orvieto parking decisions based on fear. It seems to me, if you don't share this fear, and you arrive and depart at the appropriate times, there should be parking options on top available to a visitor willing to search for them.

The PDF offers a free phone number. I may call it to confirm that the PDF is reliable. Maybe I'll get lucky and find someone who speaks English.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -