Search

salzburg 24 hrs bus ticket

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12th, 2012, 09:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
salzburg 24 hrs bus ticket

Hi.,

we will be staying in haus am moos in Nov, so will be travelling a lot by bus. Is the Salzburg 24 hrs ticket valid for 24hrs from time of validation or only for the day? Where do we buy the ticket? If its for the day only, do we need to validate it?

Will also be doing a day trip to Berchtesgaden using the Bayern ticket. Am I correct that I only need to put my name down on the ticket and it does not need validation?

thanks
Old Apr 14th, 2012, 07:01 PM

You can probably get the bus pass from the driver. The Bayern ticket is good for up to 5 people after 9am anywhere in Baveria. One Christmas my wife and I were traveling from Munich to Salzburg on the Bayern ticket. A young woman came to us on the train and asked if she could give us €5 to be part of our party. I told her "no" it was Christmas and she could join us for free. Then we picked up yet another "family member" on our ticket the same way.
Old Apr 14th, 2012, 10:37 PM

Berchtesgaden is so close to Salzburg and within the Salzburg transport region that other local tickets than the Bayern ticket can be a better option.
And the Bayern ticket will only cover the rail connection with S-Bahn via Freilassing. Though the bus to Berchtesgaden is faster and takes a direct route.
I guess your hosts in Salzburg can help you and have better knowledge of the options.
Old Apr 16th, 2012, 01:14 AM
Original Poster

Hi,

I understand the buses needed to take to Berchtesgaden and surround are Bavarian buses, hence the need for Bayern Ticket. If I'm not mistaken from previous visit to Bavaria, the Bayern ticket does cover public transportation like buses. I thought with 4 person travelling on a day trip, it is cheaper for me to buy a Bayern ticket ? Does anybody knows how much a day bavarian bus ticket cost?
Old Apr 16th, 2012, 03:23 AM

The info you find on the web is somewhat ambigious.
One guy said he bought the Bayern Ticket from the bus driver in Salzburg. But the ticket's T&Cs state that it is not valid on cross-border bus connection.
It is, however, valid on the bus lines in that part of Bavaria you will visit. On lines to tourist destinations like Kehlsteinhaus you will have to pay a road toll surcharge, though.
And, yes, that does not only sound complicated to the visitor from abroad, it is in fact not really user-friendly.

I did not notice that "we" is four people in your case. So the Bayern Ticket should be the cheapest option when the direct bus is included. If "we" had been just 2 people, probably not.
Old Apr 16th, 2012, 08:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks cowboy 1968 for your reply.

I know that Bayern ticket is valid up to Salzburg for train, now I'm confuse for validity for cross-border bus. Can any fodorites who have used Bayern Ticket for this day trip ,please clarify?
This is a second trip for my husband and I to Berchtesgaden but will be the first for my 15yrs old twins. We are not planning to go to Eagle nest but will be going to the salt mine and Kognisee [such a good impression on previous trip], so the road toll surcharge will not apply.

thanks.