Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Zermatt - luxury or high end accomodations

Old Jan 25th, 2007, 04:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to be in Zermatt for 2 nights the end of May and thought we might be able to get a good price on a really nice place to stay. I am finding that a number of places will be closed.

Any recommendations?

We are a family of 4 and would like a view of the Matterhorn if possible. Either hotel or apartment.
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 05:30 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Yep, lots of places closed. We like the apartments at Casa Vanessa and they're open year round. Not luxury or particularly high end, but very nice just the same, and they offer different apartment sizes and layouts - some with views of the Matterhorn. Really good prices in the off season too.

www.casavanessa.ch/
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 06:51 AM

We stayed in the Hotel Daniela in a room that had 2 levels. The upstairs was the master bedroom with a full bath and balcony. Downstairs was a sitting room but converted to beds with a second bathroom and second balcony. Both have views of the Matterhorn. I believe it is a 3 star but it has a sister hotel which is higher end. I can't remember the name of it but if you get into Daniela's web site there is a link.
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 07:16 AM

If you want the highest end hotels in Zermatt, go here:

www.seilerhotels.com
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 08:55 AM

Also look at the Zermatterhof and the Alex. The liklihood is that all of the good hotels will be closed in May.
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 08:21 PM

May is just not a good time for the Swiss Alps weather-wise, which is why many hotels are closed. It tends to be quite foggy and either rainy or just damp as the weather in changing over to spring/summer. I believe all the Sieler hotels are closed in May but certainly try them. You might try the Couer des Alpes at www.coeurdesalpes.ch/. You might also try the Hotel Julen, their top floor suites are very nice and have balconies with Matterhorn views; albeit in May you will have to really luck out with the weather to have a clear day. Go to www.zermatt.ch/julen

For apartments, try vrbo.com.