Zell am See --Good Side Trip?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17th, 2008, 04:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are spending a week in Salzburg before Christmas and, for a change in scenery, I have arranged a day trip by train to Zell am See. We thought that we would commandeer a taxi for a brief tour around the town and then have a leisurely lunch at one of the lakeside hotels with a great view.

Is there anything in particular that we should see on our driving tour? How is the scenery on the train journey to and fro? Is this a good idea? Thanks for your usual insightful input. Gradyghost
Old Nov 17th, 2008, 07:07 PM

Don't commit until you get there, no need to reserve in advance. If the weather is good, hop on and go, if not, pass.
Old Nov 18th, 2008, 05:45 AM
ira

I agree with DL.

Is there a reason that you prefer ZaS to a visit to the Salzkammergut (St Wolfgang, Bad Ischl, Hallstatt...)?

Old Nov 18th, 2008, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

For Ira:

Because I am uninformed on any of these possible sidetrips, I have no reason for preferring Zell except that the rail arrangement appears to be easy and relatively short, given a one day trip. Is there a qualitative difference between Zell and Hallstatt? I have an Austrian railpass so I am not committed. As always, thanks for your thoughts. Gradyghost
Old Nov 18th, 2008, 10:29 AM

Yes there is quite a difference between Zell and Hallstatt though both are on pristine Alpine lakes.

I really liked them both.

Zell-am-See is a lovely pastel-hued town on a large lake - in summer we enjoyed walking around the lake and there are boats as well. The train ride here is very scenic - the inland route between Innsbruck and Salzburg - tracking down lovely Alpine valleys most of the way.

Hallstatt is more remote and much tinier than Zell and is in the high Alps.

Personally i'd do Zell in winter just for the lovely train ride and there is much more to do in Zell than Hallstatt IMO in the winter. The lures of Hallstatt are not in town itself, except for its smashing setting of course - but in cable cars into high Alps and the famous salt mines well out of town.

Can't go wrong with either however.
Old Nov 18th, 2008, 03:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks PQ for the comments. DL warned about the weather. Does the weather play a serious role in the train trip from Salzburg? Is that the concern or is it just the usual funk from lousy weather? Gradyghost
Old Nov 18th, 2008, 04:04 PM

The latter.
It can be bright sunshine one day, low hanging clouds, drizzle, and not one peak visible next day, and snow later. That's mountain weather. Hard to predict, no "averages" that will let you pre-plan. Just do as the DalaiLlama said and decide once you got there. The trains will run no matter what kind of weather.
Old Nov 18th, 2008, 05:23 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Hi,

We love Zell am See! As for the scenery along the lakefront and the area in general... spectacular! While we liked Hallstatt, we loved Zell am See. From the train station, it's a very easy (and beautiful) walk along the lake (which has a backdrop of some of Austria's highest peaks) to the pedestrian zone.

We have photo's of Zell am See and the area at:

www.worldisround.com/home/pja1/travel11.html

Paul
Old Nov 19th, 2008, 07:16 AM

grady - normally i would think weather would not affect the trains on this route, which are in low valleys i believe anyway - even the Hallstatt line does not rise that much, but i'm not sure. But trains i think pretty much run always except perhaps in huge snows.

Austrian ski resorts like Kitzbuhel, on the line to Zell (i think) have been the last few years suffering from a lack of snow at Christmas - i think before Christmas unlikely to get snow at lower levels.

If doing Hallstatt you could go via a circle route - mailine Salz-Attnang-Puchheim - change for Hallstatt line - keep going south to Steinach-I (I think - just writing this off top of my old head) and then take a mainline train there another route back to Salzburg.
Old Nov 19th, 2008, 07:34 AM

We loved Zell am See. Christmas is a wonderful time to go. We arrived there at night and thought we were in wonderland with all the Chrismas lights hanging over the streets.
Old Nov 19th, 2008, 12:18 PM
ira

Hi GG,

There is bus service from Salzburg to St Wolfgang, from SW to Bad Ischl and then on to Hallstatt. Return via Attnang-Puchheim.

The scenery is terrific.

However, As I thought on it, I realize that you might not be interested in getting on/off buses and trains more than once.

Have you considered Berchtesgaden?

Old Nov 19th, 2008, 04:06 PM
Original Poster

All: I am deeply grateful for the input. I'm afraid my bad knee is a factor is hopping on and off trains or buses. Thanks much for the input. I'll think we'll give Zell a shot and will be sure to report successes (and failures). Gradyghost
Old Nov 20th, 2008, 06:45 AM

Zell as i remember is fairly flat - Hallstatt hilly - knees better in Zell