Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Ypres advice sought - is it possible to do a 'self-tour' here?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15th, 2007, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My boyfriend and I only have 2 days in Bruges, but would really like to be able to go to Ypres for an afternoon to visit Menin Gate etc. (We plan to catch the train.)

I'd love some advice on whether it is possible to visit the major sites at Ypres on our own and do a 'self-tour'? I see there's heaps of tour parties available, but they seem to offer only day-tours.

We are really just wanting to visit the major sites here (not necessarily all the battlefields). We would just like to learn more about what took place there and pay our respect (we are New Zealanders).

I would really appreciate any details on whether it is logistically possible to be able to tour the sites on our own (i.e can you walk between say Cloth Hall and Menin Gate easily?)

Clearly I'm a novice when it comes to Ypres, so any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 08:11 AM

Herself and I paid a short visit to Ypres (in Flemish, the local language, Ieper). We did not suppose that we could reach any battlefield sites, so didn't check for any such possibilities. We walked around a bit, saw the Menin Gate, visited the Cloth Hall where we spent a lot of time in the museum there commemorating the 1914-18 war -- very well presented, very moving.
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 08:14 AM

We were there several years ago so hopefully my memories are not too dim. We took what I recall as a half-day tour of the area with a small company (there were only 6-8 of us on the tour, small van). We found a flyer for it in Bruges and called to make a reservatin (we had a car for the drive to Ypres.)

As I recall, the Menin Gate and the Cloth Hall are within easy walking distance but I don't think other sites really are. I really think you should consider a half-day tour if you can find one. We were incredibly moved by the whole area and the history and since we are from the US our connection is not as direct as yours will be. The Menin Gate alone, and its ongoing story, moved both of us to tears.

No matter how you do it, make sure you go.
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 08:16 AM

It's some years since we last went to Ypres, but it is a pleasant town and you will have no problem spending an afternoon visiting the museum and the Menin Gate and other local sites. They are within easy walking distance.

However, without a car you will be unable places like Paschendale Cemetery, the largest British cemetery of the First World War, or to see some of the battlefields themselves.

Don't forget that the local spelling of the place is usually Ieper. Ypres is the French language name.
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 08:37 AM

As previous posters have said, Ypres iself is easily small enough to get round on foot. Organise your day so you're at the Menin Gate shortly before 8 pm for the Last Post ceremony (www.lastpost.be) Apparently, it's getting very crowded these days.

Most major cemeteries are some way outside, but there seemed to be a couple only a mile or so out. If you've not been to a Commonwealth War Cemetery before, you should - though if you have been to one before, the cemeteries within walking distance aren't any different fromn the ones you'll have seen already: the huge ones are some considerable distance away.

The whole place is a battlefield.

You might check on the Commonwealth War Graves website for cemeteries with large NZ contingents, and get a taxi to there if they're beyond walking distance. The CWGC site gives access information for all of them.
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 02:41 PM

The cemetary at Poperinge is a walkable distance from the town - which I think is just one stop on from Ypres on the train.
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 03:09 PM

As Padraig has noted, there is a fabulous museum in Ypres (aka Ieper), actually in the Cloth Hall, called the In Flanders Fields museum (yes, after the poem by John McCrae.) You can find out about it at inflandersfields.be.

There are over 500 New Zealanders buried in Tyne Cot cemetery in Zonnebeke, which is not that far by car from Ieper/Ypres but too far to walk, unfortunately. If you don't have a car, I really recommend you take at least a half-day tour, seeing the terrain is very instructive as to how things transpired. (By the way MaggieOB, there's an memorial to the American fallen of WWI near Kemmel, also the region where one can find some restored trenches.) If you're going on to Paris, the army museum attached to Les Invalides has an excellent section on WWI, as well.
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 04:00 PM

All of the above...and at the Flanders Field Museum you can book a short 2 hour or so tour, that will take you to see several battlefields and cemetaries. As I recall it was not that expensive. We did have a car on our 3 visits but found the tour worthwhile.

It really would be a shame to miss last post , so try to plan your departure for after 8:30 PM.

You could spit from Menin Gate to the museum, Cloth Hall and St Georges Chapel
Old Jun 16th, 2007, 12:40 AM

jody wrote: "You could spit from Menin Gate to the museum, Cloth Hall and St Georges Chapel"

I can't get rid of the image of a couple of young Kiwis in Ypres testing the veracity of this claim.
Old Jun 16th, 2007, 01:33 AM

A few years ago we were going to be there to visit the grave of my great uncle. Before we left we read "A Storm In Flanders" by Winston Groom and we all agreed that it seemed to help up appreciate the area and it's history more. I'm afraid I can't tell you much about seeing the sights in the area because we had a car, it was December and freezing cold, and we were just trying to get from place to place. Definitely made us wonder what it was like to sit in those freezing trenches for months on end.
Old Jun 16th, 2007, 02:46 AM

Here is a link to some WWI site photos.

The Ieper ones are at the beginning

http://tinyurl.com/25vamc
Old Jun 16th, 2007, 04:35 AM

Sardog,

Thank you for the book suggestion. It is one my husband hadn't read so he was delighted to have another to add to his collection.
Old Jun 16th, 2007, 05:17 AM

You're welcome, Jody. I was impressed enough with the book to order copies for ourselves and my niece who traveled with us. It isn't so technical with battle strategy that it's hard to read, but concentrates more on what it was like for the average soldier. It also starts with an excellent synopsis of the events leadng to WWI that makes it clear for the average reader. Definitely a book I will read again.

Have a great trip! We move back to the States from Germany in a week and I'm already jealous of those who will be traveling over here for vacation.
Old Jun 17th, 2007, 02:38 AM

Here's an excellent website for those visiting the Ypres battlefields (and the town itself).

http://www.battlefields1418.com/ypres.htm
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the great tips! We're now thinking of hiring bikes - has anyone done this?

Hopefully we'll be able to bike to Tyne Cot from Ypres train station in an afternoon!