World War I battlefield tours

Old Sep 30th, 2003, 06:36 PM
Original Poster

World War I battlefield tours

My wife and I are scheduled to take the Quasimodo tour out of Bruge in October, I am curious as to where they take the tour. I have recently started reading about the battlefields in the area, but want to focus more on the locations that the Quasimodo tour will travel to.
Old Oct 1st, 2003, 03:01 AM

What is a quasimodo tour? I woudn't be surprised if you were taken to Verdun in France. It's a massive WWI battlefield. You can still see the bayonetts sticking out of the ground where the trenches were.
Old Oct 1st, 2003, 04:02 AM

In Flanders fields the poppies blow (1)
Between the crosses, row on row
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

(John McCrae, 1915)

I had to check my map to confirm that Bruges is the other side of Belgium, quite a distance from Verdun, so it would not be in the tour. I appreciate the description of Verdun and would be interested in hearing more about your visit, Jack31.

I checked the web for a description of the tour, see the link below.

http://www.hostelbelgium.com/tours/t...p/TourUID.1061

About that poem:
http://www.wsu.edu:8080/~wldciv/worl..._2/mccrae.html
Old Oct 1st, 2003, 04:14 AM

Don't know exactly where that particular tour goes, probably to the Ypres salient and surrounding areas. Check your itinerary, I hope it has a stop at the Flanders Field Museum in Ypres. John McCrae's bunker where that poem was written is in the area as well as Tyne cot..
Old Oct 1st, 2003, 04:51 AM

I checked Quasimodo website and it looks like the tour you are taking is Flanders fields..so it seems you'll be visiting Hill 60 and Passchendale along with Ypres, Menin Gate , Tyne Cot and some others.

Hopefully they will have time for even just a short visit to the museum. Standing beneath Menin Gate and seeing the list of 55,000 dead and missing who have no known gravesite will give you chills..even more amazing is it was not large enough to contain all the names of the soldiers who died in this 1 particular area..another 35,000 who have no burial plot or were not recovered are listed on panels at Tyne cot..90,000 in addition to the acres of known graves. Unfortunately it doesn't look like you will be there for the ceremony that takes place every night , every day , and has since the end of the war..Last Post at Menin Gate.

I also hope you get to see the Canadian Memorial...one of the most touching tributes to the dead.

I think I have a bunch of pictures online..email me at [email protected] and I'll send you an invitation to view
Old Oct 13th, 2003, 04:40 PM

Jody has it right. We took the tour in early November a few years ago and were very pleased. It was a dreary day with intermittent showers and mist and was the perfect weather for imagining the horror of Flanders.

If you can get it before your trip "They Called it Passchendaele" by Lyn Macdonald is set in the area you will cover.
Old Oct 13th, 2003, 08:06 PM

I think you will really enjoy the Quasimodo tour. Don't be fooled by the youth of the owner/guide. He is amazing, impressing my father the historian.