Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Your thoughts on Sardinia or Cinque Terre?

Old May 27th, 2008, 08:24 PM
Original Poster

I am trying to figure out a possible last minute trip to Sardinia or flying into Pisa and doing Cinque Terre with my 23 year old daughter who has a week off of work in June.

We both have loved Sicily and have always wanted to go to Sardinia. However, I am just now trying to figure out how we would get there from either LGW or FCO and to what city on the island?Would you recommend a rental car to travel around or public transportation?Which cities would you base yourselves in for only a week?

I went to Cinque Terre briefly with my son when he studied in Torino a few years back and stayed in SML. It was off season in the fall and was gorgeous without the tourists. We hit Portofino and Vernazza but no hiking or other towns.Any suggestions on this versus the above?

I had a trip to Santiago Chile planned but others on South American board say its a bad time of the year to visit-hence these thoughts for an alternative.
Thanks for any comments!
Old May 28th, 2008, 02:27 AM

Hi DF - For options to Olbia, Cagliari or Alghero from Gatwick check:

http://whichbudget.com/en/cheapflights.php?from=LGW

Also Meridiana and Easyjet:
www.meridiana.it
www.easyjet.com

From Rome, try Meridiana (- from FCO) or Ryanair (- from Ciampino).

I think you really need a hire car to tour Sardinia.

CT or Sardinia? For only 1 week I might choose Liguria.

Nice choice either way

Steve

Old May 30th, 2008, 08:45 AM

Absolutely fly to Alghero, Sardinia. Rent a car and base yourselves in Tinnuro, a little town about 40 minutes south of Alghero. There is a wonderful hotel called Anghelos e Istellas there. [email protected] It's new, spotless, warm, and inexpensive @30 Euro per person including taxes and breakfast. Angelo is a fantastic cook. Istellas is a sweetheart, who will bend backwards to please you. Tinnuro, also known as the city of murals, because of the life sized murals painted on the building and homes, is minutes from places that introduce you to the flavors and sites of Sardinia. The adjoining town Flussio is known for their basket weaving - see the ladies drying their reeds on the sidewalks, etc. Within minutes there is Bosa Marina with its pristine beaches and waters and fresh seafood. The Nuraghes are everywhere. Neptunes Grotto is a sight to see. We just returned. See our review of the hotel on www.booking.com. We loved every minute of it. Have fun