Cinque Terre - Vernazza or Monterosso?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27th, 2011, 11:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are senior citizens, traveling by car, and want to stay a couple nights in the CT area in October and thought one of those two towns might provide the best access by car, realizing that parking at a hotel is probably out. If you park in a P lot at the top, will most hotels pick you up there or do you have to drag your bags the 10 minutes to town? Which town would you pick from the above, or does it not matter which one in trying to capture the essence of the CT area? If you want to toss in a hotel recommendation too, that would be great. Many thanks, winesipper
Old Jun 27th, 2011, 11:35 AM
JBX

If you have a car, I'd opt for none of the Cinque Terre towns ..... rather, would stay in Portovenere. Although, it's officially not part of the 5T, Portovenere has lots of charm and also overlooks the Ligurian Sea.

Run a search on "portovenere" and Bob the Navigator, a frequent poster on this forum who's made lots more trips to Italia than moi .... he's also a fan of this town.
Old Jun 27th, 2011, 11:44 AM
JBX

OOOPs .... hit the submit button too soon. Also, meant to direct you to a thread which discusses the CT.

Cinque Terre- How many nights and which town? …..

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...which-town.cfm
Old Jun 27th, 2011, 11:45 AM

We stayed in Vernazza. I'm not sure what you mean by "pick you up." Vernazza has no cars (at least not that I saw) so you will have to walk to anywhere you stay. Some places will meet you and help carry your bags though, ours did.

The lot up top might be really far away from the town, and I guess they could drive you to the outskits and have you walk from there, but I never saw a parking lot.

We stayed in La Mala and loved it but as JBX says the Cinque Terre is not really good with a car.
Old Jun 27th, 2011, 11:54 AM

Monterosso has a big lot on the water that is easy to access. I would not drive to Vernazza at all.
Old Jun 27th, 2011, 12:44 PM

We stayed at Villa Steno in Monterosso and they have a small parking lot which was great for us as we did arrive by car.

It's a wonderful hotel but does book up far in advance so most likely will not have availability but wouldn't hurt to try. We really liked Monterosso. Vernazza was great too but much smaller.
Old Jul 6th, 2011, 07:32 AM
JBX

... also, although you may not be hikers, this thread also has feedback of interest ...

Cinque Terre- How many nights and which town? >>>>
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...which-town.cfm
Old Jul 6th, 2011, 08:41 AM

I'd suggest Monterosso b/c it is the largest and most convenient of the towns. Would also recommend the Villa Steno - be sure to request a room with a view and a terrace (most have them but a few don't).
The other towns of the 5T are all very picturesque and charming, but they are much smaller, and with all the daytrippers, felt very claustrophobic to me -- altho' in October it probably wouldn't be as bad as the summer months.

Alternatives to the 5T are Levanto and Portovenere, the surrounding towns in either direction, both easily accessible by the frequent train service. Portovenere can also be reached by boat.
Old Sep 17th, 2012, 12:17 AM

If you have decided which town and will have a car, let me know and I can advise about parking a car in Monterosso.