Reload this Page >

Your Favorite Restaurants in St Germain Area

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20th, 2002, 09:23 AM
Lynne

Now I'm down to the fun part, getting opinions on restaurants for our September trip to Paris. We are staying at the Artus Hotel in St Germaine and would love suggestions for Bistro's, Basseries and Haute Cuisine that are with-in walking distant. We have 5 nights to experience Paris dining. Thanks in advance.

Old Jul 20th, 2002, 10:14 AM
Gretchen

Chez Maitre Albert on rue Maitre Albert gets good reviews on another board.

Old Jul 20th, 2002, 10:38 AM
Julie

We've stayed at Hotel de Notre Dame in the 5th just off the Place Maubert and Blvd. St. Germaine and at the Hotel Parc St. Severin just off Blvd St. Chichel and Blvd St. Germain and so have a lot of experience with restaurants at that end of Blvd. St. Germain. I agree that Atelier Maitre Albert is a fine place. Lovely romantic decor with fireplace and excellent food, but beware the andouilette (tripes). If you steer clear of that everything else is wonderful. Corner Rue Maitre Albert and Quai de Montebello just across from Notre Dame cathedral. Also around there in the 5th you will find the following: <BR>Vivario, cute Corsican that even serves goat at 6 rue Cochin, Al Dar middle eastern on 8 rue Frederic Santon, Reminet, Ma Maison and La Varee Verte (a seafood place) all right around there and also close to Chez Toutonne a provencal place with fixed price menu only at 5 rue de Pontoise, Le Bouchons de Francois Clerc on rue Colbert right by the hotel Colbert that sells wines at cost--honest--and has great food, Casa Bini an upstairs Italian on 36 rue Gregoire de Tours, Chez Maitre Paul at 12 rue Monsuier les Prince, a big favorite among those who post on this board especially for its wonderful chicken in yellow Jura wine and cream sauce. We've eaten at all of these places and had excellent meals. Enjoy.

Old Jul 20th, 2002, 12:05 PM
Sherri Kardell

I know this is very politically incorrect; but does anyone know if any of these restasurants have English menus? I still have not mastered the French menu.<BR>Thanks for any info.

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 01:21 PM
mcdowell

We ate at Chez Maitre Paul two nights while we were in Paris. It was a small intimate restaurant and we had the most delicious food and a friendly darling waiter. I still think it was one of our most favorite dining experiences in our travels. Thank you to the Fodors posters who recommended it!

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 02:52 PM
scarlett

Sherry-there is a book called Maerlings Menu Master that has French-English translation in small,easy to slip in your pocket/purse,and read at the table when you need to figure out if that means mussels or dessert!<BR>Although I don't remember there being that much of a problem with menus,I believe the more populare restaurants have English on their menus.<BR>If you eat meat,which we don't , it is easierBon appetit!

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 02:56 PM
JOdy

I would go to Le Rotisserie d'un Face for anything ..but I would kill for their dessert ,vacherin...meringue shell, vanilla ice cream , whipped cream, caramel sauce light dusting of nuts!!!!!<BR><BR>Anything I've ever had there has been above superior!

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 03:58 PM
kate

My fav Left Bank Restaurants<BR>Le Petit St Benoit -rue St Benoit-neighborhood bistro,busy,friendly,good food,you will feel like a local.<BR>Allard-rue StAndres des Artes-excellent food,service,again,neighborhood favorite.<BR>L'Epi Dupin -rue Dupin-just great,make reservations asap.<BR>Le Arguenteuil-rue d"Arguenteuil-seafood,mostly Parisians,excellent.<BR>Thomieux-rue St Dominique-excellent<BR><BR>

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 05:59 AM
FLJudi

Will second the suggestions for L'Epi Dupin and Rotisserie d'en Face.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 05:20 PM
denyse

Le Petit Zinc, at Rue St. Benoit. Fabulous!

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 05:26 PM
Carla

Don't miss Pierre Herme on rue Bonaparte. It is the best pastry shop in Paris. Make sure you buy the macarons. You will die thanking me.