Your favorite destination

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2008, 11:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a fiction writer looking to set a new book in one of three locations; Scotland, Ireland, or Wales. Can you tell me your favorite location and a brief explanation why you chose it?

Thank you
Old May 29th, 2008, 11:53 AM

Of those 3 it has to be Scotland. I was born in Wales, haven't been to Ireland and have no desire to do so and I love the remoteness and peacefulness of the Scottish countryside.
Old May 29th, 2008, 12:32 PM
LJ

I am going to vote for Scotland, too. More scope-from the grittiness and sophistication of Glasgow to the placid small towns of the northern coasts, the urban 'trendiness' of Edin. and the remote Shetland Islands-thats a lot to work with...
Old May 29th, 2008, 01:22 PM

It's a daft question.

The setting of a novel should be determined by character and plot, and how they might be developed in a particular setting -- not by strangers' sentimental attachments to places. If I tell you why I like Connemara, is your work going to benefit greatly from that? And if you tell me that it is, then I would be suspicious of the quality of your work.
Old May 29th, 2008, 06:39 PM
Original Poster

Thank you to all 3 of you for your responses.

In answer to Padraig, your comment about setting is quite correct and I thank you for your insightful words.

Thankfully that is not why I posted the question.

I was simply curious as to which of the three countries would garner the most interest from people who are no doubt more learned about the areas than I am, thereby helping me decide which direction to proceed with my research.

The responses from highflyer and LJ are exactly what I was looking for. No personal experiences; just general descriptions.

Old May 29th, 2008, 07:25 PM

Two excerpts from my trip report of a June, 2005 Trip to Ireland:

" ... and followed it into Rathmore. We stopped at the church so that everyone might see where the Great-Grandparents were married in 1865. The church has been remodeled and renovated numerous times since then - most recently, in 2000 - 2002, but there is a touching memorial etched into the wall to the side of the altar, commemorating Father Walsh, who spearheaded the original construction and also officiated at the aforementioned wedding. In typical, rish pragmatism (and practicality), the old church that this building replaced, is now the Old Chapel Pub.

After leaving the church, we drove further East on the R582 and the less traveled road into Millstreet. As I drive, my passengers drink in the wondrous sights -- the Cadbury Chocolat Plant, the inspiring vision of The Paps and the singular magisty of Clara Mountain. Good guide that I am, the names of townlands -- Knocknaloman, Ballydaly, Claratlea, Gortavehy, Ivale, Toorenbawn and Caherbarnagh -- tumble past my lips. Each of these places were home to the laborer Timothy, and his Mary, the young dairy maid, that he wed. These are the places, where the ancestors did dwell. I think they found it meaningful. I think that they were touched. I only know that I, who can claim not a single drop of Irish blood, cannot pass this way unmoved. For me, this is a magical place; a place that resonates within my soul. The hills and vales and mountains call out: 'Here, there be Giants!'. And my soul cannot help but agree."

"Millstreet sits in northwest Co. Cork at a juncture of roads. From the south, the road up from Macroom passes through a gap between the Boggeragh Mountains to the east and the Derrynasaggart to the west. The River Finnow flows through, on its way to join the mighty Blackwater. It is an area, RICH in history.
When Ireland was first settled in the waning days of the last Ice Age, the area was inhabited by neolitic hunter gatherers, drawn to the mystical high places: the Paps, Clara Mountain, Mushera Mor and Beg. Ordinance Survey maps of the area show relics of that age dotting the landscape. There are raths, and cashels, standing stones, stone circles and rings scattered throughout; the most impressive collection being that at Knocknakilla. An Shrone (The City) is nearby.
During the Celtic Age, the area was home to the O’Keefe’s, McCarthy’s and the Sullivans and neighbor to the Malloys, Donovans and O’Driscolls. King Mahon was murdered atop Mushera while enroute to a ‘peace meeting’ with Malloy. The foul deed was done by the Desmond clans to remove the “upstart” from the throne of Munster and replace him with someone more pliable to their schemes. What they reaped, with their treachery instead, was Mahon’s younger brother -- Brian Boru.

When the Butter Road was built through town in the 1700's, it was a boon to the area. Millstreet bloomed as a convenient resting stop, mid-way between Cork City and Killarney. The 1800's were not so kind. When the railroad was built, the tracks were laid to avoid the village proper. The station sits out of town, to the north, victim to the fears and petty jealousies of the major Landlords in the Big Houses, the Protestant Wallis, the Leaders and the Catholic McCarthy-O'Leary. And so, the tourist trade passed Millstreet by and the town ceased to grow. The major highway (N72) from Mallow to Killarney bypasses Millstreet. A small, Regional Road 'loops down' to pass through town, on its way to reconnect with the N72, in Rathmore, Co. Kerry.

Today, Millstreet functions as a ‘bedroom’ community for Killarney , Cork City and Mallow; each being nearly equidistant. The Wallis’s sold out, in the ‘20’s, the Leader’s died out, or moved away and the last of the McCarthy-O’Leary’s ( relatives to the O”Connors of Caherdaniel) spends her days in Killarney. A local entrepreneur now owns the holdings of both Drishane and Coomlegane. The latterHouse was torn down. In its place stands Green Glen Arena, an equestrian showplace that hosts horse shows, music concerts and other events. In 1993 it was the site of the Eurovision competition, a major international event. Drishane Castle and estate, purchased with the intent to create a luxury hotel and resort, has instead become a haven and housing for an international assortment of refugees.

In short, there is nothing EXCEDINGLY REMARKABLE about Millstreet, but the sum total is greater than the individual parts. The people here are untainted by an overabundance of tourist trade and therefore, neither wear a mask of false greeting, nor display offence or rancor at the presence of outsiders. It is the real Ireland of the 21st century. It is a place of beauty, magic and peaceful reflection; improved by the march of time, yet not polluted by it. It is the land that my wife’s ancestors came from, and, in more ways than that, it is a land I would proudly call home. We chose to bring John and Pam here, just as we have brought some of his other brothers and sisters over the years, and his father, before that, so that they could experience that which mere words can not convey."

Full report: http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34679685

The town's web site: http://www.millstreet.ie/

Nearby, are the ancient sites of An Shrone (The City) and Knocknakilla -- both old, when the pyrramids were young ...

As I said -- Here, there be Giants.
It has been my priviledge, to walk in their shadow.

Bob
Old May 30th, 2008, 04:25 AM
Original Poster

To Itallian_Chauffer,

Thank you so much for your response as well as the links.

One of the things that so strongly draws me to research these areas is the respect for the history. Where I live, if a building is 50 years old, it's considered too old and is often torn down to make way for newer, more modern buildings.

I am so awed by the structures I've seen in Italy that are hundreds of years old and still standing proudly. I so respect the peoples of these locations that understand that new is not usually better. There is little character in the new when compared to a church that has stood for 900 years.

Oh, if only the walls had voices!!

By the way, you write pretty well. Ever thought of becoming an author?
Old May 30th, 2008, 04:54 AM

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34905715
Old May 30th, 2008, 10:13 PM

I'm with Padraig. The setting should follow the story, not vice versa.
Old May 31st, 2008, 04:51 AM

I love all three, but of them, Scotland is my favorite. One of my favorite places is Glencoe. The hills are so brooding that it evokes a mood. Edinburgh is a wonderful city and one of my favorite in Europe. There is much to see and experience there. The highlands are awesome and of course Skye. My favorite place for castles though is Wales.
Old May 31st, 2008, 05:02 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Padraig, for the link. I enjoyed it very much.

And to jholc - thank you, I appreciate you input.

Now I need to get down to make travel plans!