Yet another message re trip to Germany

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18th, 2006, 04:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be spending a night near Nuremburg on November 8 and part of the next day in Plech, Germany. As of right now, we have no reservations anywhere for November 9 until November 14 when we leave Munich in the morning for a flight back home

I don't want to feel like we are on a mad mission to see everything. I had thought about driving over Rothenburg and taking the Romantic Road down to Fussen. But we also want to visit Dachau and probably spend a day in Munich Altstadt.

Was thinking of spending
11/09 part of day in Rothenburg and the night there (or would we be better in Dinkelsbuhl or Nordlingen?) Would love to stay in budget to medium priced inn with an old world feel to it, preferably within walking distance to pubs

11/10 drive and stop at various points of interest along the way I would like to see Neuschwanstein - is that too far to drive. Where would be a good place to stay?

11/11 - 11/14 This is what I am not sure of. We have three nights and will have a rental car which I have not yet reserved. I think I would like to see Oberammergau. I was thinking of visiting there and then heading to Munich where we could spend two nights. After reading a lot of information I am still confused as to where to stay. I know we would like to visit Dachau but I don't think that has to take an entire day. We really don't want to spend a lot on a hotel but would like to be near the old section of Munich. Should we turn in the car before checking into a hotel or would it be better to have it to go to Dachau?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have really procrastinated on this as I just have not had time until today to spend much time researching

Pam
Old Oct 18th, 2006, 04:10 PM
Original Poster

And just one more? Should we wait until we are there to book a hotel or do it before we leave?
Pam
Old Oct 18th, 2006, 04:18 PM

I was just in Munich about two weeks ago. I didn't go to Dachau, but I don't think that you need a car for it. I believe it's easily accesible with the S-bahn.

If you're spending some time in Munich and don't really intend to use your car (except for Dachau), it's probably better for you to return it.

We went to Neuschwanstein from Munich by driving.

I think that the castles will close around 4 pm during November. If you're planning to see Neuschwanstein, you should get there early. We got to the village of Schwangau/Hohenschwangau around 2:30 pm and we got on practically the last tour for Neuschwanstein (around 5:15 pm).

To be on the safe side, you should probably arrive before noon.
Old Oct 18th, 2006, 05:04 PM

You can drive from Rothenburg to Fussen in 1 day on the Romantic Road. However, when I made the drive it was in April, and I am not sure how long it will stay light in November. Someone on here can tell you, or you can find it on the internet somewhere. There is not too much difference in staying in Rothenburg, Nordlingen, or Dinklesbuhl, they are all nice.

Dachau can be done in a half day. I think you will have plenty of time to see what you have mentioned without sweating the details too much ahead of time. I can't imagine that you would need any reservations that time of year, but you might do some internet searches on hotels to check vacancies to be sure.

You might want the car for Dachau, and then turn it in.
Old Oct 18th, 2006, 05:21 PM

Pam,

You probably want to reserve a hotel in Munich. Try Hotel Uhland---it is fairly close to the pedestrian zine and the train station (for airport transfer), but in a nice neighborhood. We like it alot. They have parking, but it would be best to turn your car in before your Munich stay.
Old Oct 19th, 2006, 07:14 AM

",,,11/10 drive and stop at various points of interest along the way I would like to see Neuschwanstein ..."

a bit much for one day. Re-evaluate after looking at a good map.
Old Oct 19th, 2006, 08:09 AM

I would definately make hotel reservations in Munich, you might be able to get a Zimmer Frei in the small towns in November. Taking a autobah part of the way I remember it being about 3 hours from Rothenburg to Fussen. Oberammergau is withing about 20 miles of Fussen. You will want to go by the WiessKirche between the two. Linderhot and Ettal Monastary are also close to Oberammergau. Check ViaMichelin.com for routes, distances and times. They will even tell you about tolls, if any, and gasoline costs.

I will echo what others have said, you won't need or want a car for getting around Munich. Traffic and parking are a hassel and the mass transit is very easy and very good.

Hotels to consider near the Fussganger zone are the previously mentioned Uhland, the 4* Le Meridien, the Drei Lowen, the Elefant, & the Deutsches Theatre. Look at OctopussTravel.com for pictures, maps and descriptions. The don't always thave the best prices but it is a good place for an overview.

While in Munich other attractions include Nymphenberg Palace, The Residence, the Altes and Neues Pinakoteks, the Deuthsches Museum, BMW Museum and of course the beer halls. I think they still to s cheesy but fun Bavarian show every evening on the thrid floor of the Hofbrau Haus. We love to have a wonderful authentic Bavarian dinner at the Augustiner in the fussganger zone, a couple of block toward the train station from Marienplatz. The Ratskeller (in the basement of the glockenspiel building) is also good as is Andechs am Dom right behind the Frauenkirche.
Old Oct 19th, 2006, 08:11 AM

PS. to reserve a car we always feel like we have gotten a good deal from Bob Bestor at Gemutlichkeit Travel Gemut.com It sort of looks like you have to pay for a newsletter to deal with them but you don't.
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 03:32 PM

You really don't need a car for Dachau (it might actually make getting there more difficult). Visit their website at www.kz-gedenkstaette-dachau.de for times, admission cost, and directions.

If you stay in Munich anywhere near the S-Bahn "trunk" line from the Hauptbahnhof to the Ostbahnhof getting to Dachau should be really easy. Purchase an XXL Partner Day Ticket (Tageskarte) from Munich transit for €11,50. It will cover travel round trip for both of you (actually up to 5 people) to Dachau via the S-2 S-Bahn and 726 bus, as well as any other travel by S/U-Bahn, streetcar, or bus in the center two zones of Munich the rest of that day.

The "classic" Munich S-Bahn/U-Bahn map can be found at http://www.mvv-muenchen.de/web4archi...etz_051211.pdf. All other information (other maps, ticket prices, timetable information) for the MVV can be found at www.mvv-muenchen.de. The website has information in English.