Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Yes! You! Would you choose Sevilla or Granada (to complement Barcelona)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16th, 2009, 09:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We fly into Barcelona from Los Angeles September 1 (arrive Sept. 2), and return to LA on Sept 9. This works out to just 7 nights for our first trip to Spain. We're 30, and on a "budget." (We were one of the lucky ones to take advantage of those $300 airfares btwn West coast and Spain on Delta.)

We'd like to keep accommodations to, max, ~80e/night.

We plan to spend 4 or 5 nights in Barcelona, take a day trip to Montserrat, and I'd love to squeeze in a day on the Mediterranean up on the Costa Brava, we'll see.

But--- Where would you rather fly into for those extra two or three nights? Granada or Sevilla? We're so torn! Friends keep pulling our opinions one way or another, and frankly at this point, I need my Fodorites to weigh in!

We like food, culture, architecture, natural scenery... NOT into nightlife (it's Spain, I KNOW). I am fascinated with Middle Eastern culture, if that tells you anything...

Gracias, my friends!

p.s. I know this question has been asked a thousand times... I did search and read previous posts... but my mind is still not made up. Thank you!
Old Jul 16th, 2009, 10:57 PM

Hey you! What will sway you if you know what we are going to say?
Old Jul 17th, 2009, 06:40 AM

If it were my first trip, I'd go to Granada to see the Alhambra, especially since you won't have much time there.

There's a lot more to see in Seville, but you won't have enough time to see it. But with either choice, you can have a great time.

I stayed at http://www.casadelaljibe.com/html/gr...use_rooms.html
but it's usually 65€.
Old Jul 17th, 2009, 06:48 AM
Original Poster

Anything will sway me! I'm very impulsive when I get indecisive like this! I just need to make the call.

Shanti's advice just may be it...
Old Jul 17th, 2009, 08:14 PM

I think Shanti is right. The less time you have, the more Granada may suit your needs.
If 2 nights means that you will arrive at night on day 1, have only day 2 for sightseeing, and need to depart early morning on day 3, I recommend Granada.
Once you have 3 nights/at least 2 full days for sightseeing, you can flip a coin IMO.
Granada may have a bit more comfortable temperatures for city sightseeing due to its higher elevation but since one can hardly foresee the weather conditions in advance, I would probably not make it a major issue.
Old Jul 18th, 2009, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Cowboy and Shanti!

We booked our flight from Barcelona to Granada last night, and now we've got our night visit tix to the Nasrid Palace and the daytime tour of Alhambra all lined up. I understand there's also a lovely North African market up on the other hill in Granada, so we'll do that, too, and I'm sure we'll find other delights in Granada!

Very excited... off to book hopefully inexpensive accommodations, now!
Old Jul 18th, 2009, 09:27 AM

Sounds like a good plan - now start planning your week in Seville for next time!
Old Jul 18th, 2009, 04:43 PM

Good luck with your trip. Granada is delightful.

I'm not sure about the North African market. There are lots of stores when you first start going up into the Albaicin - but it's more like a cross between the Middle East and 1960s Haight Ashbury.
Old Jul 18th, 2009, 05:58 PM

I hope you enjoy alhambra. we found it terribly overrated and the biggest disappointment of anything on our dozen or so trips to europe.
Old Jul 18th, 2009, 06:10 PM

I hope you enjoy alhambra. we found it terribly overrated and the biggest disappointment of anything on our dozen or so trips to europe.

Someone started this very discussion a few months back and those who did not like the Alhambra were in a samller minority than Bush lovers in Berkeley.
Old Jul 18th, 2009, 06:12 PM

Here's a link to another thread about the Alhambra:
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-overrated.cfm
Old Jul 18th, 2009, 06:13 PM

Rasberryberet (love that name)

I agree that Granada is the better choice considering your time constraints and your interest in the Islamic culture of Spain. If I recall my history, the Moors (as they were then called) were slowly driven from Spain during the Christian Re-conquest and build Granada (in my view – magnificent) after they removed from Cordova further north.

Reading suggestion on this topic – GOD’S CRUCIBLE, Islam and the Making of Europe 570-1215 by David Levering Lewis

Enjoy Spain!
Old Jul 18th, 2009, 07:58 PM
Original Poster

Just wanted to say "thank you" to you all for your responses, opinions and laughs!

"it's more like a cross between the Middle East and 1960s Haight Ashbury." LOL -- perfect!

"those who did not like the Alhambra were in a samller minority than Bush lovers in Berkeley."-- even bigger LOL! it's only my second trip to europe, so i highly doubt i'll be blase about anything!

lateday- thanks for the reading rec!

i'm already re-watching my favorite Almodovar films for inspiration
Old Jul 20th, 2009, 08:52 AM

We are hoping to use the same approach you are in Granada. What web site did you use to purchase Alhambra tickets? Does it show two different admissions for the evening palace and a lower admission for the rest during the day?

Thanks and have a fabulous trip.
Old Jul 20th, 2009, 08:53 AM

We are hoping to use the same approach you are in Granada. What web site did you use to purchase Alhambra tickets? Does it show two different admissions for the evening palace and a lower admission for the rest during the day?

Thanks and have a fabulous trip.
Old Aug 6th, 2009, 07:11 PM
Original Poster

Hi nans,
I'm sorry to be so tardy getting back to you. Maybe you've already booked your tickets for the Alhambra by now!

We used: www.servicaixa.com but to be more specific, I think we followed instructions from Maribel's guide: http://maribelsguides.com/mg_granada.pdf

Good luck!