Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Yeah, where are the cheap fares to London??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 07:19 PM
Jamila

I have been searching for the past couple weeks for a roundtrip fare to London from Chicago. The cheapest direct flight I can come up with is $477. I paid $418 in March. With the economy in bad shape and all the trans Atlantic sales, I was hoping to pay less than $400!!! I want to depart the night of 11/22 and return 11/30. I search everywhere online. Any suggestions on where else to look? I'm not comfortable with Priceline because I don't want to deal with connections!

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 10:11 PM
Leslie

You'll save about $50 if you fly Tuesday to Tuesday instead of on the weekend..eg. $420 RT on www.aa.com<BR><BR>I think the March fare may not be seen this fall <BR><BR>a) because airlines have since reduced their flight schedules and<BR>b) March was winter. November is fall and hence, tends to be more than winter fares.<BR><BR>

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 10:36 PM
Realistically

You're also flying over Thanksgiving... usually higher fares.

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 04:57 AM
Jamila

Thanks for your advice. I just thought that less people were traveling there now and that would have lowered the fares.<BR>

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 04:58 AM
maryann

The prices should go down a lot on November 1st.

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 08:36 AM
janis

Yes, fewer people are flying - but there are also less seats so the fares are about the same as before 9-11-01. Some bargains - but most are for Dec-Mar.<BR><BR>If the $477 includes taxes/fees it doesn't sound too bad to me.

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 08:53 AM
waiting

I usually go to London/Paris for Thanksgiving week for about $250-300 from NYC on American. Theses fares usually appear mid-October. Thanksgiving is not a blackout period and usually has some of the lowest fares of the year. I use miles to upgrade to Business class and those seats are also available, into either London/Paris and return from the other.If you can, I'd wait a while longer.

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 08:56 AM
TryIt

Did you try contacting AutoEurope?<BR><BR>I'm not sure if there is a site-you may have to call them. Don't know the #.

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 09:11 AM
kfferg

Try Virgin Atlantic at virgin-atlantic.com. They came up with a $399 fare for those dates. My husband just traveled on them and said the flight and service were fine.

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 09:13 AM
kfferg

My bad.... that VA fare was from NYC. $477 doesn't sound bad if you're flying from Chicago.

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 10:01 AM
Gretchen

Check USAir. Sale from 11/1 to March.

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 01:27 PM
going too

Check out bestfares.com they are advertising unbelievable prices. never tried them but I've heard good things about them...also Virgin Atlantic is worth a try

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 11:02 AM
londonbound

Yes, Bestfares.com does have great prices, but you have to subscribe first, which costs $59 and up. All other travel sites I have been to never charged a fee for their services.

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 11:20 AM
SA

US Air & British Air both have flights for slightly less than $400 dependiong on your departure & location of course. The US Air fares just came out.